May 11, 2018, 02:49 PM
Thread OP

Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Fumes

Hi there - Please forgive me since I know nothing about the subject, but am a worried wife/mother-to-be and wanted to get some advice. The wrong transformer was installed to power our ADT security system which caused the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries and plastic within the unit to burn/smoke. My husband was able to open the unit and remove the batteries to stop the smoke/fumes. I am pregnant and wondering if the fumes, whether from the plastic burning or from the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, could have caused any harm to me or my husband? Or if there needs to be greater exposure (like more than 5-10 minutes) and direct contact with fumes to cause harm. We called poison control and they didn't seem concerned since neither of us were coughing or choking - just to leave the room and air it out which we did.

I am mostly concerned about the battery fumes if they were, in fact, fuming and it wasn't just the plastic burning in the unit.

I believe these are the batteries: ADT WALYNX-RCHB-SC BATTERY LYNX ALARM SECURITY PANEL

Thank you.
Last edited by stephanie123; May 11, 2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add info
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2018, 03:42 PM
Unregistered User
Ma'am, if you are concerned for your health, please contact your doctor.

There are safety data sheets available online.

Usually toxicity is a concern if exposure is for prolonged periods of time.

If neither you or your husband suffered any ill effects, you and the little one are probably OK.

You've done the right thing and allowed the room to air and clear ant residual fumes.
May 12, 2018, 02:48 AM
Any toxic chemicals are a worry for a pregnant Mother because anything you eat or breath in goes to build healthy genetics as your baby grows. The shorter the exposure the less harm, the greater the toxicity the higher the short exposure risk. I can not find any cases from a quick search online, though I suggest as a way to take your mind off the worry to search online because, the more science you know the less confusion and less fear. Remember the amount of exposure is shared and your body has filters. NiMH batteries are not toxic unless they are burning or the type of electrolyte is exposed.
It is likely that the time for doing anything to detoxify has passed and the exposure was too short and small for any harm.
Search battery university or for exposure to burning NiMH batteries and try various words and pick up related information for other variations of search. This hopefuly will keep your mind off the worry and make you less anxious.
Last of all, if it is not your fault, sue someone.

Sorry you are suffering.
Take care.
Robert.

Quick Reply