Jun 24, 2019, 08:33 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Ah, a small setback-the internet is loaded with 4mm-4mm inline shaft couplings, just need to find ones that are long enough...
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
i'm having the two I have modified by my friend Steve Tranter of Model Boat Bits, who is going to tap, thread and add another grub screw at 180 degrees to the other in the large hole and sleeve them to reduce the size to take the 3.7mm out shaft of the new motors. but thanks for the link.
Jun 25, 2019, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150WS6
Still a beautiful build! I just ordered my Shannon from ModelsByDesign.....so now just waiting for it to be shipped over the pond.

Quick question and I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. I know the real boats are self righting and insanely stable. Would it be possible to do the same with one of these hulls? Make it so it's self righting that is? I'm sure it would be a combo of air chambers up high and batteries mounted very low in the hull......having seen only pics this may be a pipe dream though.

Keep up the great work!

YEARS AGO, I made this model as a self righter for a company in Southern Ireland.

1:12 scale Interceptor model tested for selfrighting (4 min 0 sec)

I made the hull sealed via a Perspex top silicone and screwed down to the deck, with waterproof gooseneck vents allowing the batteries inside to breath when charging through waterproof charging points and switches, and then the sealed cabin was screwed to the rased combing around which it fixed.

with the speedline model, you would have even easier options, as the cabin is actually glued to the removeable deck thus making the whole assembly able to lift off as one assembly.

if you run a silicon sealing compound or rubber silicon onto the hull flange and then lay the deck/cabin onto that, and let it settle before using screws to fix deck to hull, you would have a perfect self righting boat...…………….

but for all the work, you would never actually see the process in practice in real life, because even in the roughest of conditions in a force seven Atlantic blow off the southern coast of Ireland did my model ONCE actually capsize...….it broached, went end over end, but never capsized, and as such I would think it a fruitless exercise.

the only reason that model was made was because the owner of the company Safehaven marine wanted to show the RNLI its self righting capabilities because the RNLI were interested in his actual interceptor 42' boats as a potential replacement to the Mersey class, which was eventually to become the Shannon instead...……

so in real terms it was a fruitless exercise anyway, lol.
Jun 26, 2019, 06:37 AM
Thread OP
today, it was time to get the two hulls ready for drilling the ruffle hole in the bow keelson section for both boats.

they all have one for running the securing strop through to a carriage, but the Fleetwood boat doesn't have strops nor does she have guide brackets for the strops, unlike micks St Ives boat does...…….so have his brackets to add .

below shows the ruffle hole in the bow keelson of the Fleetwood boat, no brackets either, as I had been told by someone that all boats did have. I won't mention their name to save embarrassment lol.

now, to drill through the keelson top take the surrounds, I would need to block it off somenow, or our boats would sink, as the interior keel is hollow...…….

so I dug out my can of grp polyester resin, and mixed it up with some catalyst before raising the stern of each boat and pouring some resin into the bow end...……...that will be left to set for a couple of hours, as I didn't want to put too much catalyst in for fear of making a hot mix and distorting the hull grp.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
i think th resin has had its day, as although I put a minimum catalyst into it, it hardened and cracked, so I have topped it off with polyester filler and can now drill the ruffle hole.
Jun 26, 2019, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
the holes were drilled, just oversized, and brass eyelets were inserted either side, to give a finished look to the ruffle hole.

once glue had set I masked the skeg that runs from bow to stern skid and painted satin silver, first coat,,,,,,,

another will be given to it once the paint has dried.
Jun 26, 2019, 12:18 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
nhp651, what are you using for intake grills? I am thinking the boat in the foreground of pic #4 is the boat with the KMBs? and the other boat has the speedlines (rectangular cutout)
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Jun 26, 2019, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
nhp651, what are you using for intake grills? I am thinking the boat in the foreground of pic #4 is the boat with the KMBs? and the other boat has the speedlines (rectangular cutout)

yes, bob......you are correct...……….with the speedline kit fully at my disposal, it was easy to take templates and copy the grills for the models by design boat out of 2 and 2.5mm plasticard, and then I moulded my copy in rubber and cast a couple in polyurethane resin.
Jun 26, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
tonight whilst I was waiting for the paint on the keels of the two boats to dry, I decided to do a few small jobs on the cabins and decks that needed finishing off.

1st...…….to make a new searchlight bracket that was slashed when the mast was broken...…..made fron a 6mm strip of brass, drilled, bent and fitted...…….job done but for painting.

2nd...…...fit the aft service and storage hatches to both boats...….done

3rd...…...repair the main light platform that was broken in the fall, and strengthen it . I used 1mm plasticard in two pieces, wrapping them round the mast, and cutting two holes for the 5mm LED's leads to run under the platform...…….done.

I'm motoring now, lol.
Jun 27, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
the next task was to fabricate the safety line that runs underneath the hand rail on either side of the cabin...….as said earlier, made from brass links made from wire connected to the bottle screws supplied by my friend dave……..they look reasonably affective.

then the "steel" gate was added to the flying bridge, and am in the middle of cutting two frames for both boats that holds something [ I know not what at the moment] that is fixed to the bulkhead next to the tannoy microphone.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
right, that's it for tonight.....a few more bits added to micks boat...… and its beginning to look half decent considering its being put together by a moron who is hating the job of building them both......roll on finishing them,

but am concentrating on micks model so I can take it to Cornwall so he doesn't miss too many shows exhibiting it.......

the windows, have been glued in, the brackets for the two main RDF areals fitted and the bow RDF receiver fixed,.....

I have also got the window wipers out of the box of fittings I made and are ready for fitting...…...but they look fiddly, and I've run out of stamina and more to the point patience so don't want to blunder ahead and ruin the job......so, having run out of beer, I think a nice gin and tonic is calling.....

cheers guys. till tomorrow,
Jun 28, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
time marches on and more little bits get mated up to micks boats...…….

this morning/afternoon were the windscreen wipers, hatch handles, hinges and other little bits and pieces. all scratch copied from the speedline fittings
Jun 28, 2019, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
windscreen washers and pipes have been fitted.

also I got down to making the boat hooks for the two boats...…...couldn't lay my hands on any 3mm dowel, but whilst looking a came across 3 lengths of kite rods that I picked up once from a broken kite on Fleetwood beach, made from GRP...………..thought they might come in someday...…...that was nearly 12 years ago when the kids were young...………...well, tonight aemon……...this is your life...………...they did...……….made my boat hooks out of them, lol.
Jun 29, 2019, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
IT's all the small bits that take the time I didn't estimate on...…….

first was adding the threaded screws to the three "bollards" for each boat and then fitting the first to micks boat.

then it was the turn of the two life raft canisters, and the retaining straps and tie links...…..the black straps were made from sticky black plastic and the retaining links from brass wire.

and then i was about to fit them, and i suddenly realised that the floors of the under storage area for the small raft canister AND the entrance to the cabin, had not been painted with the textured aged iron paint, that i had so much problems with........so they both needed painting.

however they are so inaccessible for masking and getting a spray can into, i decided to mask off the lower edge of the entrance with tape and carefully brush paint them. i sprayed some paint into a margarine tub and let it go "off" for a few minutes. but even then, trying to paint it with a soft brush left it smearing and clinging to the brush rather than the floor, so, just like stippling grp resin into the matting, I stippled the floors with the flat of the brush rather than the end...…….it looks ok at the moment...…..just have to wait until it cures and dries for the finished result.

and finally, I painted the boat hooks, Baliol blue for the starboard side, and white for the port side. this colouring goes back to the days of pulling/sailing boats when those out on a shout in hurricane gales when little could be heard, the coxs'n could actually shout Blue or white to get the nearest oarsman to use oars for steerage.

might do some more tonight once the textured paint has dried......gawd, I don't want to mess that lot up.
Jun 29, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
at least Mick French's boat gets her pennant number and a few bow and cabin fittings, even if she isn't named yet...…...

Quick Reply