Looking for plans for specific foam delta wing - RC Groups
May 10, 2018, 08:04 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Question

Looking for plans for specific foam delta wing

Ok, back in March (?) I got this delta foamie at the Flea Market held in Lebanon PA. It came complete with the servos and an Rx and I paid all of $25 or $30 for it.

After a week or so of messing with it I got it airborne and I found it is a real HOOT to fly! It can go slow and then when you apply some throttle, take off like a bat outta' hell. It's also real nimble I had to dial in a good deal of Expo to tame it. I've been flying it just about every night this week. I am really loving flying with elevons. Even though it has a rudder I hardly use it.

But it hasn't been all sunshine and roses. I had a couple hard landings (otherwise known as "controlled crashes") that made repairs necessary. If I have a couple more hits like that I can see this coming home in a bag. And I have no plans to go by to build another. And build another I will. IMHO it's THAT cool of a plane.

The guy I bought it from was selling it for a friend. There on the table next to it was the magazine article that detailed the build. But did I take a picture of the magazine or write down the title or article #? NOOOOOO!

Before I take a them time and measure out everything I thought I would post some photos here and see if any of you had a clue where this design came from.

Here are some overall dimensions:

From tip to tail it's 30 1/2"
The wingspan is approx. 29 1/4"
It's got a 1400kv motor swinging a 7x4E APC prop

So, any help?
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2018, 08:33 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
That would be easy to copy to DTF. Just make some patterns.
May 10, 2018, 08:43 PM
Just draw what you see..
Make a half-wing drawing on paper and trace and flip over for the other.
If your drawing looks off, start over.
If you are off a few mm here and there it wont matter.
Make a change or two and call it YOUR design!
You got this!
Latest blog entry: Ultra Micro!
May 10, 2018, 09:18 PM
Out Standing In The Field
It's the Vulcan that was in Model Aviation.
http://modelaviation.com/avrovulcan

My friend built one, but didn't have any luck with it. His was too heavy without enough motor, unlike yours.
May 10, 2018, 09:59 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Now another damn plane I have to build, THANKS A LOT! NOT!
May 11, 2018, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
Now another damn plane I have to build, THANKS A LOT! NOT!
Just downloaded the plan to print out. 15 sheets of A4 (workaround on my cheap printer due to large border of non printable area at bottom, print full size plans and use poster print it accounts for this ).

Like these simple plans. 2 hours and the plans are together cut out and attached to foam, another hour to cut it out and then an hour to glue it all together :-)
May 11, 2018, 08:09 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
It's the Vulcan that was in Model Aviation.
http://modelaviation.com/avrovulcan

My friend built one, but didn't have any luck with it. His was too heavy without enough motor, unlike yours.
Thank you for that link! I knew someone here would come through!!

The fact that they have the plans in PDF is great! Now I can look at the proportions and be a bit more confident that I'm replicating them. I just downloaded it and will probably convert it to AutoCad so I can customize it a bit. I'll probably change the cut out for the prop to the style that was featured here (reduced the noise and improved performance somewhat)

For some reason I thought this had a 1000kv motor. When I checked last night and saw 1400kv I thought to myself, "Oh, that's why it's got such a punch".

Another thing,.... when I repaired it I added strips of MPF here and there to bolster weak areas as well as some carbon fiber rod to the wings. And I cut the vertical fuse so that it the battery could straddle the centerline. To strengthen this area I added MPF doublers on each side of the cut out. So if anything, I made it HEAVIER. And it still flies pretty nice (at least to me)

I just added a strip of LED lights to mine so I could see it better at dusk.
May 11, 2018, 09:12 AM
You're very welcome!
Prop in slot do seem to require a higher kv motor to fly properly - that was most of my friends problem with his. And a "bow tie" slot should help quiet the awful racket that they tend to make.
Good luck with the mods!
May 11, 2018, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
You're very welcome!
Prop in slot do seem to require a higher kv motor to fly properly - that was most of my friends problem with his. And a "bow tie" slot should help quiet the awful racket that they tend to make.
Good luck with the mods!
Is 1400kv high? What is 2300kv then which I'm runnkng on a flying wing and a canard plane both with 7x5 props...
May 11, 2018, 03:12 PM
It's higher than 1000.
May 11, 2018, 10:21 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Plans are printed, 130% puts it just over 38" wing span. 25 sheets to piece together.
May 12, 2018, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
Plans are printed, 130% puts it just over 38" wing span. 25 sheets to piece together.
I was thinking the samd thing scaling it up a touch maybe not quite 130%
May 12, 2018, 08:37 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
38" wing span? That's going to be BIG.

I LIKE IT!

What size motor do you plan on using?
May 12, 2018, 07:48 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
38" wing span? That's going to be BIG.

I LIKE IT!

What size motor do you plan on using?
I do a lot of enlarging on foam board planes, I get them done, graphics, servos, controls, Then I get a weight and
decide what I need for the performance I want.
I have found the deltas in the 38" range handle well and are not effected by wind as much as the smaller planes.
I will keep you posted.
May 14, 2018, 03:07 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I have almost finished the taping of the plans, may start cutting some parts tonight, weather too
nice to stay in side, too windy to fly, but OK for cycling. and cleaning up the lawn mower. Ti's the
season you know!

It is going to be lighter than I was thinking, I have some Racestar motors, 1350kv that will
crank over 200w with a 9X6 APC. If I can keep it around a pound with a 3s 1000, I can make
some good holes in the sky.

Quick Reply