Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 10, 2018, 10:52 AM
Contest

F5J in the Rockies 2018

I am please to open entries for F5J in the Rockies! This event will be held on the site of the first US F5J Team Selection event, so you will want to get some experience here before Team Selects..

The event will be held Sat/Sun June 23/24 in Denver at our club field. The field will be open for practice on Friday (actually any day is OK as long as you don't interfere with any farming operations).

Lunches will be supplied each day and is included in the entry fee.

Registration is open at http://www.f3xevents.com

Read the rules and processes there for the details.

See you there... Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2018, 03:17 PM
I’m in and signed up.

And if you need a Colorado warm-up before F5J in the Rockies warms you up for Team Selects here in the land of low launches and great lunches, come to our RMSA F3RES contest June 2-3; a whacky, fun, inexpensive good time with sticks and twigs models and strangely specific high starts! I already pulled the tails off my new F3RES model on a breezy launch but that’s not important right now....

I’m sorry I missed F5J in Vegas but it will be great seeing everyone here third weekend of June and again at the beginning of September.

These RMSA guys run a helluva contest!
Last edited by ReidRoberts; May 10, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
May 11, 2018, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts
I already pulled the tails off my new F3RES model on a breezy launch but thatís not important right now....
Oooh. That's not gonna buff out.

Tom
May 14, 2018, 04:09 PM
Any links to the field so we can sort out hotels?
May 14, 2018, 04:57 PM
Address of the field:
20355 E 120th Ave, Commerce City, CO 80022

Link to map of the field from the Denver Area:
http://rmsadenver.com/images/rmsamapoverview.jpg

The main hotels are all on Tower Rd about 5 miles away to the south of the field, just south of Pena Blvd.
Jim
May 22, 2018, 09:58 AM
If you are planning on coming please get registered. Lunches will be included in the event so I need to start planning for food.

I am thinking BBQ on Sat and Subs on Sunday!

Jim
May 24, 2018, 04:28 PM
Thereís a hotel near the field for 87.00 per night for normal people. 69.00 per night for aircrew. Lots of Southwest pilots based in Denver that donít live here use this place. Not fancy. Impersonate an airline pilot at your own peril. Use small words, grunt, use caveman gestures, etc.

www.thedenverairporthotel.com
May 24, 2018, 07:31 PM
Where is the lift?
Ok to dry camp on the property?

Just considering options

Charlie & Myra
May 25, 2018, 07:27 AM
Yep - no problem.
May 30, 2018, 12:24 PM
I hear alot of guys are coming, but not registered yet. Its only 3 weeks away and we need to know numbers for food etc. Please get signed up if your planning on attending.
Conditions lately are typical Denver. Good lift in the morning, goes flat in the early afternoon, then they kick off again. Should be a great time......

John
May 30, 2018, 12:58 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
With a hint of Summer wind
May 30, 2018, 02:23 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
And probably 90-95į F in the mid afternoon with a very slight possibility of thunderstorms.

--
Greg
May 30, 2018, 06:04 PM
Where is the lift?
Sunscreen
May 30, 2018, 07:20 PM
Actually, 90-95įF will be a nice cool-down for you, won't it, Charlie ?

--
Greg
May 30, 2018, 08:09 PM
Where is the lift?
It’s been pretty reasonable here with only a few days above 100 but that’s ending soon. In three weeks, we will be very happy to enjoy the moderate Denver weather.

Charlie
May 31, 2018, 11:44 AM
I just hope it doesn't snow.......
Jun 04, 2018, 08:39 AM
It's great to see the participation list growing! Some great r/c soaring pilots, advocates and just good people in general. Fun.

Since Team Selects are going to held here, it's worth noting the altitude as it relates to the motor/prop/ESC. For instance, I used a meter to select the prop for my Xplorer that pulled just under the limit of my ESC here in CO. Then I took it to Vegas (2017) and almost cooked the ESC real good. I didn't think the difference between 5100' MSL field elevation and 2100' MSL would be THAT much of a difference, but it sure was. Normally, it wouldn't matter so much since all you folks turn off around 15 meters anyway but it will when you're dragging all that ballast aloft in the wind.

You all knew all of this and are way ahead of me. I'm just bumping the thread.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Reid
RMSA Stupid Hobby Thread Bumper
Jun 06, 2018, 05:45 PM
Jonathan Garber
Ill be there,

Jon
Jun 09, 2018, 09:20 PM
We had a great club contest today in preparation for F5JITR. Hereís a launch at the fantastic sod farm where RMSA has been flying for over 25 years. Itíll have all the amenities for the contest; dry camping, lunch both days, spotless porta potty, etc.
Jun 14, 2018, 09:38 AM
Just a week to go...If your planning on attending please sign up. Currently there are 22 pilots. Still haven't heard from gorilla and others that planned on attending.

We will be at the field Friday morning for practice day and field set up. Come on out and enjoy RMSA hospitality.
Jun 16, 2018, 06:33 PM
Registration closes Tuesday nite...

Please get your registrations in.

Ill do the matrix and order the food on Wednesday..

See you there..
Jim
Jun 18, 2018, 08:18 AM
MNZONA SOAR

pay at field

Jim I am registered but was going to pay by mail. I can't find an address to mail payment to so is it alright to pay at the field Friday. Thanks Brad
Jun 18, 2018, 09:02 AM
Sure - no worries..
Jim
Jun 18, 2018, 09:40 AM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
I'll make Toblerone sign up today...

-Matt
Jun 18, 2018, 11:16 AM
OK folks - less than a week left!

I will be ordering the food Wed. If you have a +1 or +2 that wants food at the field let me know.

On Sat we will have Pulled pork sandwiches with a 1/4 chicken, salad and beans.

On Sunday we will have Ribs and Brisket with salad and garlic Mashed taters.

Sat cost for extras is $10 and then Sunday cost for extras is $13.

Let me know before Wed if you need extra meals.

See you there - Jim
Jun 18, 2018, 06:18 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Where is the Gorilla?
Jun 18, 2018, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-Soar
Where is the Gorilla?
In the mist??
Jun 18, 2018, 06:58 PM
Jonathan Garber
I talked to Toby yesterday, and he said he is attending for sure.

Jon
Jun 19, 2018, 08:32 AM
OK folks - last day for registration. Get registered by 5:00pm tonite please.

We have 26 pilots so far with some of the best in the country - this won't be a gimme event!

We will have gatorade and water at the field each day starting Friday. The field is open for practice starting Friday AM. Please be sure only to park in the designated areas and NEVER park on the inside of the ring road on the grass. Camping is allowed but the sprinkler will come thru at nite so you won't want to be on the grass.

I will set up the matrix tomorrow.

See you Friday!
Jim
Jun 19, 2018, 02:02 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Gorilla is signed up!! Looking forward to a relaxing weekend of soaring!!

~Toby
Jun 19, 2018, 02:10 PM
Very cool Toby!
Jun 20, 2018, 07:44 AM
For the online voyeurs you can follow the scores during the event at: http://gliderscore.com/OnLineScores.aspx
Choose F5J in the Rockies 2018 from the dropdown menu.

enjoy!
Jim
Jun 20, 2018, 08:54 AM
Here’s the forecast for Saturday and Sunday with the reporting station very close to the field (just north at Barr Lake). Friday looks just about the same. It would be hard to order up a nicer weekend.

F5J tactics are so interesting in any weather but I bet we see some film worthy launches this weekend.
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Jun 20, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
Jun 20, 2018, 07:16 PM
Where is the lift?
Surgeon’s office called and told me to expect to go in on Monday which if true takes both me and Myra out of the running.

Hoping to know for sure by tomorrow as we had planned to depart here by 3pm.

Charlie
Jun 20, 2018, 08:40 PM
Good for you and bummer for us Charlie...
Let me know as soon as you know so I can change the food order.
I hope it works out the way you want...
Jim
Jun 20, 2018, 09:32 PM
Surgeon?

Why don’t I like the way that sounds? Whatever it is, we all hope it goes well!

In any case, with Myra out, I just moved up a spot.
Jun 20, 2018, 11:51 PM
Where is the lift?
You’re awesome Reid! (Myra & Charlie)
I tore a couple of tendons in my left shoulder and was hoping we could still come out before getting it fixed but it sounds like they’ll be ready on Monday and that won’t leave enough time to drive home. (Charlie)
I still haven’t received the confirmation that it’s a go but we are pretty sure it’ll happen. There’s a small chance it’ll be delayed so I’m not counting us out yet.
Jun 21, 2018, 11:44 AM
https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day

looking like interesting conditions... good wind and potentially some wet weather. Flyoffs will be really fun @ 15mph with gusts to who knows. That sod farm seldom fails to deliver the goods for a contest weekend!!
Jun 21, 2018, 12:04 PM
Here is our most accurate forecast attached.

Looks like a great weekend. The slightly higher winds are forecast for later in the afternoon - I expect you guys will be on your way by then.

But then again.. it's Colorado - it could do anything...

Jim
Jun 21, 2018, 12:42 PM
Looks like most of the latest and greatest planes flying this weekend, oh and the pilot list isnt to bad either.
The sod farm has done quite a bit of harvesting, glad its not F3J......

We will be camping/set up in the SE corner, our usual spot. From tower road and 120th ave. east aprox 1 mile, you'll see us. Ill be there this afternoon around 3.
Travel safely....
Jun 21, 2018, 02:51 PM
Where is the lift?
Surgery on Monday is confirmed, gonna miss you guys!
Launch low, fly high

Charlie & Myra
Jun 21, 2018, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Surgery on Monday is confirmed, gonna miss you guys!
Launch low, fly high

Charlie & Myra
Bummer, will miss you both too! Speedy recovery!!
Jun 21, 2018, 07:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Even though I could not make it back for this one I'll be there in spirit --and following along on Gliderscore.com. Go F5J! I have asked the F5J USA Tour Cheerleaders to be there on Saturday. Let me know how they perform. They have been practicing lots lately.

Chris
Jun 23, 2018, 02:19 PM
Overkill is underrated
Man, launch heights are all over the map.

Ed
Jun 23, 2018, 07:34 PM
Fly it like you Built It !
dang, i think i have to come watch tomorrow morning .
HB
Jun 23, 2018, 08:26 PM
Where is the lift?
There was definitely some punishing going on.

Charlie
Jun 24, 2018, 03:15 PM
Fly it like you Built It !
I stopped by this morning to watch a couple of rounds, It was great to watch , a lot more
strategy going on than I thought there would be. Thanx Reid for letting me time for you.
Hope I did not distract you too much with the questions. But you did make it look easy.
great save on the last round, that was fun.
so after I finish up this last F3K, I am going to need a project for the building season .
Hmmmmmm ??
HB
Jun 24, 2018, 04:38 PM
Go for it HB! What ever you decide to build will be awesome Iím sure. Hope to see you out there joining the F5J fun soon....
Jun 24, 2018, 06:18 PM
Afflicted with DDD
What happened in Rd 14???? One 1K and everybody else with Zeros????
Jun 24, 2018, 07:00 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00
What happened in Rd 14???? One 1K and everybody else with Zeros????
Score entry error. I'm guessing that David Sieger was timing John Hsu in R13... note that John Hsu had the same score in R13 as David Sieger has for R14...
Jun 24, 2018, 08:17 PM
No fly offs?
Jun 24, 2018, 09:19 PM
AZ Outback
Lightning in the area.
Jun 24, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thank you.
Jun 24, 2018, 09:56 PM
FIRST - thanks to all the pilots that made the trek out to Colorado. We had a great first day and a great morning - but we needed about 2 more hours of decent weather... The Dave Sieger score was an error. We were rushing because of a big cell thta was headed our way and I fixed it locally but did not upload it. It is correct now..

Congrats to Jonathon - that was a very well flown event. He was the only pilot without a major hit and it was not easy conditions! WELL DONE!

Congrats to Skyler from ABQ in 2nd and John Armstrong from Phoenix in 3rd. Bowdie was kicking butt yesterday - but in 5J things can change rapidly. He still finished a strong 4th. Blayne did very well finishing 5th with a plane he maidened Friday nite. I think this was his first real contest for 5J - we will have to look out for him. Proud to see that RMSA took 6 of the top 9 places that would have been in the flyoffs if the weather held out.

With t he cell coming in we let the pilots vote on whether to try to get the flyoffs in, and the vote said no. It was a VERY good decision because before we were completely torn down we got clobbered with lightening and torrential rain. We all sat around in our cars as long as possible, but eventually everyone gave up and left the field. This was a bad thing because we had a 3 course BBQ lunch catered for 32 people and nobody there to eat it...

I wound up taking it home, putting it in freezer bags and into the freezer. Skip stopped over and took a bunch home for the family, and Padilla may come get some tomorrow...

It was raining to hard to even get together for awards so I will mail them to the all the recipients.

I think that despite the disappointing finish it was a great contest and hope all the pilots had a blast, like we did...

Thanks again for coming...

See a bunch of you at the Team Selections! (dont forget to get registered)

Jim
Jun 24, 2018, 10:07 PM
Jonathan Garber
Thanks for an awesome weekend guys, see everyone at TS!

Best regards and safe travels home for everyone,

Jonathan Garber
Jun 24, 2018, 10:49 PM
I want to add that Jim did a fantastic job per usual. I get a little worried because his events are so seamless that it’s easy to take them and him for granted. Jim was on the computer Friday at the field during practice taking care of his real business and I was marveling how many balls he keeps in the air all at once.

Thanks also to our CDs, Sam and Eldon, they were great! But I always get a chuckle when Jim hands the mic to the CD and says “OK, I’m just a pilot now!”. Ha!

We had a rare triple mid-air where two locked up, came apart and came down on a third. Hated to see three beautiful models damaged. But that will happen with low launchers all heading to the same read....

Which brings us back to re-start (heavy sigh). You elite F5J flyers need me. I’m not going to make the US team, you know what I mean? But people like me “flesh” out the field and the stupid hobby in general. I needed and used re-start this contest and I wasn’t the only one. At least two people got extremely lucky with land outs where restart would have saved them. But, back to me. I really don’t have any business buying top-line models but I REALLY like them! I understand all the high-brow arguments over tactics but it’s a bunch of crap when you’re in Colorado sink. Plus, it’s difficult to get a straight answer from Europe and elsewhere EXACTLY how to interpret and administer the rule. Checking firmware and all that? C’mon man!

Which brings us to altitude recording accuracy. I don’t think I’m alone when I say that the devices can vary widely. There were some pretty noticeable differences this weekend. I like the Altis in my Xplorer. I always think I’m higher than it records so....never mind.

I had a blast! I want a new model!
Jun 24, 2018, 11:01 PM
Congratulations, Jon ! Safe travels to Jon and all the others with long drives home.

--
Greg
Jun 24, 2018, 11:11 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Congratulations Jonathan!

Come back home to Montana soon and give us some lessons!
Curtis
Jun 25, 2018, 10:31 AM
Great Job Jim, McLovins, and all RMSA members that made this event awesome!! Weather was great until late sunday and conditions were very challenging!! It was a great learning tool for TS.

Great job Jonathan, Skyler and Mr. Armstrong for a well flown event!! It was great to see Ultimas sweep the podium!! Looking forward to seeing you all again at the BAM "AKA" the TS warm up contest the last week of August in ABQ. Safe travels!!

~Toby
Jun 25, 2018, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts
I want to add that Jim did a fantastic job per usual. I get a little worried because his events are so seamless that itís easy to take them and him for granted. Jim was on the computer Friday at the field during practice taking care of his real business and I was marveling how many balls he keeps in the air all at once.

Thanks also to our CDs, Sam and Eldon, they were great! But I always get a chuckle when Jim hands the mic to the CD and says ďOK, Iím just a pilot now!Ē. Ha!

We had a rare triple mid-air where two locked up, came apart and came down on a third. Hated to see three beautiful models damaged. But that will happen with low launchers all heading to the same read....

Which brings us back to re-start (heavy sigh). You elite F5J flyers need me. Iím not going to make the US team, you know what I mean? But people like me ďfleshĒ out the field and the stupid hobby in general. I needed and used re-start this contest and I wasnít the only one. At least two people got extremely lucky with land outs where restart would have saved them. But, back to me. I really donít have any business buying top-line models but I REALLY like them! I understand all the high-brow arguments over tactics but itís a bunch of crap when youíre in Colorado sink. Plus, itís difficult to get a straight answer from Europe and elsewhere EXACTLY how to interpret and administer the rule. Checking firmware and all that? Címon man!

Which brings us to altitude recording accuracy. I donít think Iím alone when I say that the devices can vary widely. There were some pretty noticeable differences this weekend. I like the Altis in my Xplorer. I always think Iím higher than it records so....never mind.

I had a blast! I want a new model!
Exact same A/MRT, same model, same equipment installed in the same place and A/MRT located in the same place and exposed to the same pressure changes.....probably very close. Vary any of those conditions and results could be quite different.

Just an observation.

Dave R.
Jun 25, 2018, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla83
Great Job Jim, McLovins, and all RMSA members that made this event awesome!! Weather was great until late sunday and conditions were very challenging!! It was a great learning tool for TS.

Great job Jonathan, Skyler and Mr. Armstrong for a well flown event!! It was great to see Ultimas sweep the podium!! Looking forward to seeing you all again at the BAM "AKA" the TS warm up contest the last week of August in ABQ. Safe travels!!

~Toby
Yes the Ultimas did well, but you forgot to mention RMSA swept the other 6 positions for the flyoffs with some other models mixed in. REALLY wanted to see a windy flyoff and what model worked.....
Maybe next time.

Great to see you Toby and everyone that traveled. Get signed up for the TS. We would like to see 50+ if possible.

John L.
Jun 25, 2018, 05:00 PM
For Posterity - here are the final scores...
Thanks to everyone - I was really bummed the Sunday lunch did not happen.
I can assure you however - it was Awesome...
Jim
Jun 25, 2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks Jim for another great F5J contest. Bummed we missed the lunch too. Looking forward to the TS in September!
Jun 25, 2018, 06:12 PM
Tbd
Last edited by Jmraapilot; Jun 25, 2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: inconclusive
Jun 26, 2018, 01:14 PM
RV7guy

Always fun!!

Despite the looooong drive I always enjoy the Denver events. The proximity to lodging and restaurants is a great help after a long day. As usual this event was run with precision and efficiency. Thanks Jim and John as well as other RMSA crew members.

Denver events can be brutal in the lift/sink cycles and associated weather disturbances. I was the victim in Round 4 and had to power up for a zero. Same with round 5 but a score at least. After that it got better but was too late. Timed for a friend and he was down wind very high with 4 minutes remaining. He barely made it back and didn't get all the time!! The top people earned their positions with consistency and minimizing damage!! Great to see everyone and meet some new people.

Very exciting to see the diversity of aircraft with Ultima's being the most popular and doing very well.

Now, if we could get the airlines to stop flying over the field and drowning out the sound system!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Jun 26, 2018, 02:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J USA Tour standings updated

Tour standings are updated with the Denver event and available on the F5J-USA website here. You can also view a horizontally scrollable version of the season standings at this link.

Chris
Jun 30, 2018, 10:01 PM
MNZONA SOAR

Thanks

Jim and all the RMSA guys,
Thank you for hosting this great event. Too bad we missed the Ribs and Brisket Sunday afternoon. What a beautiful venue with the mountains in the distance and all the green grass to fly on. We all know how hard it is to put an event like this togeather and make it flow smoothly and you did a great job. I am looking forward to the TS. Thanks again, Brad
Jul 02, 2018, 10:43 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Nice video from Ali Khani

Ali Khani did a nice video of the Denver event and gave me permission to post it. After watching I'm even more bummed that I missed this one. BTW the 3 meter launch attempt by John A. at 1:23 was not intentional (at least that's the story from John ).

Denver F5J June 2018, 3 Way Mid-Air at 5:30 (11 min 45 sec)
Jul 02, 2018, 11:18 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
The truth is I have you guys a chance. But only two took advantage lol. I think my thumb was the culprit bummer

Quick Reply