May 10, 2018, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

What EDF ARF or KIT Jet for 90mm @8s

Hi,

Can someone please recommend an ARF or KIT version of EDF Jet designed for 90mm and capable of running at 8s (2x4s 4000) LiPo's?

I'v got nice power system (Ejets JETFAN-90V2 Carbon + Typhoon HET-700-68-1680) in old and ugly FlyFly BAE Hawk EPP and I'm searching for a replacement plane.

I would also consider cheap PNP plane capable of flying with heavy 2x Turnigy Graphene 4000mAh 45/90C 4s setup. Total LiPo weight is 968g / 34oz.

Best Regards,
Peter
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2018, 10:53 AM
Old Skool
Precepter

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=591
May 12, 2018, 01:29 AM
jofro
Bratko, there are too many to choose from, just check for instance Freewing models. How big is your wallet? BTW, how long have you been flying your old and ugly "FF Hawk" on 8S set up? Before you have upgraded it to 8S from the stock did you do any wing reinforcement? Just asking because when I did mine some 7 years ago as 8S it snapped the wing on full power barrel roll during a major EDF Jet Meet in QLD. It was quite a spectacle when one of the battery exploded hitting the ashfalt road. I still fly one, tho only on 6S, now in its 8th. year with close to 700 flights, no sign of wear. Just a while back for the piece of mind I have installed extra CF wing spar as one day I might upgrade it to 8S if I get tired of the current set up.
May 14, 2018, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
ex-racr --> thanks

jafro I've searched Internet for some time and I coudn't find that much ARF/KIT planes for 8s. How big is my wallet? Check my location and divide your sallary by few times I bought my Hawk with decent EDF/motor/ESC but the plane is in worst visual condition I ever seen. Somebody painted it with paint which melted the foam.

I'm new to "power"-EDF (I've 12 years of experience in electric planes, mostly 3D-acro, few simple EDF's also, few 6-ch helicopters).

Hawk I own is in dramatic visual condition, but somebody assembled it in reasonable way - for example ailerons are glassed and reinforced with carbon rowing.

I plan to get use to haevy EDF with this plane but I'm slowly looking around to find decent and not too expensive replacemet for the "body".

Sorry for my english ;-]
May 14, 2018, 09:48 PM
jofro
Most of 90mm EDF models can be upgraded to 8-12S with some modifications, it's all up to the modeler. With some loving care and lot of light filler I'm sure you could fix the ugly old "Hawk" to the new looking state if the the 'zlotys' don't come that easy. Show me the pic, I love to see it.
May 15, 2018, 05:40 AM
Thread OP
There is one problem about upgrading to 8s... it only makes sense for me if I can use my big and heavy 4000 4s 45/90C nad 4000 4s 65/130C packs (in series).

I haven't got close-up photos. Today we've tested setup:
Hawk - test na 8s cz.1 (0 min 21 sec)

Hawk - test na 8s cz.2 (0 min 12 sec)

116A, 3.5kW

After few tests ESC was quite hot (but it's mounted outside and has a big radiator), motor just worm a bit, packs totally cool.

Flies straight up with 60-70% throttle, weights 3,2kg

I know everything can be fixed with "loving care", but I haven't got much free time for modelling.
Last edited by Piotrek_SGM; May 15, 2018 at 05:47 AM.
May 15, 2018, 04:36 PM
Harlock rc has a composite viper 140 that will fit 6, 8 or 12s.
Tone
May 16, 2018, 12:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8103
Harlock rc has a composite viper 140 that will fit 6, 8 or 12s.
Tone
Beautiful plane but way too expensive for me
May 24, 2018, 05:49 AM
Thread OP
Not exactly right topic, but my 8s setup waiting for another "body" already maidened:
http://www.sgm.siedlce.pl/index.php/...624-oblotyhawk
May 30, 2018, 08:44 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
What about some of the Blackhorse models? I have the T33, flies great on the milder 1500Kv Jetfan setup, I run it on 5000mah packs, lots of flight time.
Their Viperjet is really nice, as is their L39, well made models that are light and fly very well, easy landing models too that are suitable for grass.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 05, 2018, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Extreme_RC - thanks.

To be honest after your (RCG) recommendations and my own research I came to conclusion that I can't afford reasonable plane. I'll learn to fly my heavy belly-landing monster, then I should buy something cheap but with flaps and retracts to learn how to land on our rough, grass runway. Third step would be more expensive plane made of composite and/or balsa/plywood.
Jun 08, 2018, 02:24 PM

Jet Hangar

Jet Hangar has a number of kits in that size.
Jun 08, 2018, 04:59 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek_SGM
Extreme_RC - thanks.
To be honest after your (RCG) recommendations and my own research I came to conclusion that I can't afford reasonable plane. I'll learn to fly my heavy belly-landing monster, then I should buy something cheap but with flaps and retracts to learn how to land on our rough, grass runway. Third step would be more expensive plane made of composite and/or balsa/plywood.
Your other option is something like another flyfly Hawk, the original EPS versions which I think I still have. This is the perfect budget 90mm for builders, more work than an ARF composite but much cheaper overall and you end up with the best of both worlds. 25 gram glass cloth and polyurethane is all you need to cover the EPS, you can fit retracts, you can cut flaps, so much you can do with these models cheaply. You end up with a glass skin that is tough but flexible, a model that flies close to a composite in feel, yet with a low wing loading making it land like a piper cub

Oh the F86 Sabre is also still available, awesome classic jet, was my favourite build of all time in 90mm..
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 11, 2018, 03:46 AM
jofro
Another action with the "Hawk" off the grass, the day after the beach drama. 35mm makes all the difference!
2016 0830 170426 013 (3 min 47 sec)
Jun 12, 2018, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
Yes, another Hawk isn't the worst scenario. But adding flaps and retracts to existing one would be cheaper.

I recently fine-tuned output pipe and this plane sounds really nice

Quick Reply