May 09, 2018, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
New Product

60" Pober Pixie

It came to my attention not long ago that there was some interest in a 60" Pober Pixie. Having had the opportunity to fly a 1:3 scale Pixie a few years ago I was familiar with the airplane and thought that it really would make a nice Park Flyer at 60". The full scale Pixie came to be in the early 70's, and has since evolved from its original Volkswagon power plant to the Continental A-65 among others. Overall the airplane hasn't changed much in appearance over the years with the major differences being with the cowl.
Last edited by P. Tritle; May 09, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2018, 05:15 PM
Thread OP

Getting Started with the Bowed Outlines

With plans in hand and the laser parts ordered I started with the bowed outlines for the rudder and horizontal stabilizer. Patterns were made up from 3/16 artists foam board and the bows made up from 1/16 x 1/8 balsa.
May 09, 2018, 05:17 PM
Thread OP

Making Up all of the Metal Parts

The landing gear was assembled and soldered together first. Then the tail wheel strut and cabane struts were bent to shape. And finally, all of the aluminum and bress tubes were cut to length. By gathering up all the parts first, they'll be ready when it comes time to use them.
May 09, 2018, 05:20 PM
Thread OP

Making Up the cowl Plug

The Cowl plug was carved from blue foam and will be sent out to Sparky when done. A standard set of Sparky's wheel pants will also be included with the parts package.
May 09, 2018, 05:22 PM
Thread OP

Construction Begins with the Tail Section

With te bows already done up, construction went quickly for the vertical and horizontal tails. Construction is the typical 1/16 x 1/8 and 1/8 sq. balsa with only a couple of laser cut parts required. Hinging was done using 5/32 wide strips of light Cya hinge stock.
May 09, 2018, 05:24 PM
Thread OP

Building the Wing Center Section

The wing c-section will be permanently attached to the fuselage and the wings will plug in making field assembly quick and easy. The major framing was done, then sanded to final shape and the aluminum receiver tubes added.
May 09, 2018, 05:27 PM
Thread OP

Building the Wing

The wing features the typical egg-crate style of construction. The spars were assembled first, the the ribs dry fitted onto the spars and the whole assembly pinned over the plans. Then once the major assembly was completed the panel was removed from the board and sanded to final shape.

PAT
May 09, 2018, 05:39 PM
Power Upward
Really great subject Pat, Where is this plan/kit going to end up?

George
May 09, 2018, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322
Really great subject Pat, Where is this plan/kit going to end up?

George
This one is going to Model Aviation as a Construction Article, with Wood/Plastic parts available from Manzano Laser Works once the article runs.

PAT
May 09, 2018, 08:47 PM
Power Upward
Nice Pat,

Looking forward to the article, until then I’ll be following along

George
May 09, 2018, 09:02 PM
Great subject Pat.

I have been an EAA member for many years and love the classics homebuilt aircraft. Another great subject choice. So many great amateur built aircraft would make nice R/C models.

One of my favorites is a similar design, that predated the Pober. The Smith Termite. Completed in 1957 and utilized all wood construction. Would make an outstanding companion to the Pixie. Here's the original article, from Jan 1959 Sport Aviation, which has an excellent 3-view and construction drawings.

Good luck with the Pixie! Brad
May 10, 2018, 08:30 PM
Sir, this one looks like fun ! I am betting that you could have a lot of fun with covering, as anything would look really good ! Good luck with it, look forward to more, Mike
May 12, 2018, 03:12 PM
This looks good.
So once its done, what are the chances we could see a Pat Tritle Starduster Too?
Also a very nice looking experimental design.
May 12, 2018, 06:35 PM
There are currently free plans on the AMA Pilot Magazine website for a Starduster Too. It's a standoff scale, but doesn't look terrible. I think it's 36" span. It's not a bad looking little plane. It's probably not as light as a Tritle design, but it looked like it flew okay. I'll probably build one myself.

The designer does some interesting things. Most of the wing is a bowed outline. At any rate, back to our regularly scheduled programming....
May 13, 2018, 04:09 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Tritle, this kit is going to be beautiful! You should make some new bush planes, like the wilga!

Quick Reply