R/C Plane Designing Questions Thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2018, 08:13 AM
Discussion

R/C Plane Designing Questions Thread

Having looked through many R/C web sites for plane designing assistance and not finding any, it's time to say "I have some r/c plane designing questions, can you help me?"
This thread is for those of us with designing or modification questions and need help. Many times a unique plane design pops up in our brain and you have no clue on how to go about designing your new creation. It seems as though as if you need an aero space designing degree to do it. Here is your chance to ask your designing question to get you going on your way

to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbozo
It seems as though as if you need an aero space designing degree to do it.
If you want to be able to design from first principles and have a good understanding of what is going on with the aerodynamics, stability, control authority, etc., then an aerospace engineering degree is a good starting point. If you just want to hack around and tinker with flat foamie toy airplanes then no degree is required, just the willingness to destroy some foam and have fun.

This is a good forum to look at for ideas and approaches to building our toy planes. Guys here have made aircraft in almost every conceivable shape and size and documented what worked, what didn't and how they did it.

Mark
May 09, 2018, 04:26 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
Many times a unique plane design pops up in our brain and you have no clue on how to go about designing your new creation
Huh?
Latest blog entry: My feet smell funny
May 09, 2018, 05:12 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We were taught to make small model gliders of the new designs and toss them across the yard … Foam scraps are perfect for a small test glider … we use modeling clay on the nose to balance … Once you get them to glide proprtly ( CG ) , you can make a larger one to test powered flight … If you have a problem , ask here and someone (s) will gladly assist …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 09, 2018, 06:41 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
[QUOTE… If you have a problem , ask here and someone (s) will gladly assist …[/QUOTE]

I have a problem, I can't stop making planes...
Actually this will be a good thread because I'm always trying something new.
May 10, 2018, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
[QUOTE… If you have a problem , ask here and someone (s) will gladly assist …
I have a problem, I can't stop making planes...
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure many here (including me ) would be very happy to assist you with that problem!!
May 11, 2018, 08:16 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
There is always stuff like this you can look at: http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...sign/index.htm
I haven't read this so I don't know how good it is, I'm just pointing to it as an example.
May 15, 2018, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
There is always stuff like this you can look at: http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...sign/index.htm
I haven't read this so I don't know how good it is, I'm just pointing to it as an example.
I just went and read some of it. Written in a simple way for newbies to understand and easy to navigate through. I'm gonna go back and read some more to re educate myself.
May 15, 2018, 07:41 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
There's plenty of education to be had now we live with this amazing inta webby netty thing.
We now have a situation where ignorance is optional
May 15, 2018, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
There's plenty of education to be had now we live with this amazing inta webby netty thing.
We now have a situation where ignorance is optional
Aw, shucks, now I have no more excuses.
May 15, 2018, 09:15 PM
Sokol
this is a nice post with a few guidelines

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post17179115

Quick Reply