May 08, 2018, 03:17 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
New Product

40 and 60 Amp brushed ESC's - New!

There are two new ESC's coming to market for brushed motors. These will be welcome, I am certain, for the scale boat modelers.
Brand is a Hobbico proprietary line, now Horizon? They are labeled "Onyx" which Tower Hobbies has sold for years.

40 Amp:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNGZJD&P=G

60 Amp:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNGZJE&P=G

to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2018, 04:03 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Look OK. Does anyone sell a water-cooled brushed ESC? That's a lot of amps for an enclosed hull.
May 08, 2018, 04:04 PM
Big Boats Rule!
KMOT, looks interesting. Similar to Hobby King's Quicrun series of brushed ESC's? Same manufacturer, different branding?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywin...-for-1-10.html

By placing the jumpers in the right spots you can add Lipo LVC and disable the brake. Anybody know if there is still the forward to reverse delay or double bump required?

Dave
May 08, 2018, 04:07 PM
Just Plane Nutts
They look identical.
May 08, 2018, 04:08 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Not a bad price BUT only 9 cell capable.
May 08, 2018, 04:12 PM
With the right output transistors, extra cooling should not be needed. What switched on and saturated, the very low resistance should ensure that very little power is wasted, when switched off, there should be zero current, so no heat generated then, either.
If the transistors do not generate waste heat, why complicate matters by adding unnecessary complication? However, if it was really wanted, I suspect that metal tubes capable of carrying water could be fitted between the fins of the heat sink.
May 08, 2018, 06:29 PM
Old Duffer
Excuse my ignorance, but would these work with an SLA battery or just the two types depicted on the unit?
May 08, 2018, 06:43 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Tim, should work with any kind of battery. It appears the two mentioned are for low voltage cutoff only. JMO

Bill
May 08, 2018, 08:36 PM
RCTugger
they look identical to the Quicrun's and I have been using them for about a year now. Zero problems.
May 08, 2018, 08:44 PM
AirDOGGe, I agree with you, they do look identical. In looking at the spec's of the Tower/Horizon unit and the Hobbywing esc, #WP1060, I can find no difference except for the color of the heatsink. Current rating, input voltages, Bec voltage and current ratings, size and even the weight are the same. Only difference I can find is the price. $34.99 from Tower/Horizon and $20.99 from Hobbywingdirect.com

http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/produ...iant=753399705
May 08, 2018, 09:35 PM
I have a couple of this ones, never used them in the past they will go in my new scale build
May 08, 2018, 09:38 PM
Being an SLA user only, what would the input voltage range be for these units?
May 09, 2018, 12:21 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
How about that! I guess they are one and the same.
May 09, 2018, 01:52 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscuzbut
Being an SLA user only, what would the input voltage range be for these units?
Says 2S-3S, so you are looking at a 6 to 12 volt range, with the higher voltage being the maximum.
May 09, 2018, 11:21 AM
I would watch the high end voltage as these ESC might be voltage sensitive such as we have found out with the Mtronics ESCís that are rated at 12 volts input.

LI-PO batteries (3 cell) supply 11.1 volts and the NI-MH batteries (9 cell) will supply 10.8 volts. A fully charged seal LEAD ACID battery will supply up to fourteen volts and could cause the ESC to make magic smoke.

The speed controls were ment to run on cars and boats using the standard NI-MH battery in either 6 or 7 cell configuration netting either 7.2 or 8.4 volts with a deans conector.

Quick Reply