Airbus Airplane Inspection Drone

Last month, Airbus unveiled a new drone based aircraft inspection device. It's the first of its kind and the drone is estimated to dramatically reduce aircraft inspection times, from a few days down to just 3 hours.

Splash

Drone Based Inspection Tool

Last month, Airbus unveiled a new drone based aircraft inspection device. It's the first of its kind and the drone is estimated to dramatically reduce aircraft inspection times, from a few days down to just 3 hours. That will go a long way to saving money and keeping planes in the air with less down time.

The inspection drone comes from Airbus' Hangar of the Future project which combines innovative technologies and smart devices to provide solutions to increasing maintenance needs. The drone is designed to work inside the giant hangars that house the planes during inspection and utilizes pre-defined flight paths and laser guidance for precision positioning. It takes photos along the way and sends them to a tablet for analysis and review. The new inspection drone will be available in the last quarter of 2018.

Learn more about the Airbus Inspection Drone Here.

May 08, 2018, 03:33 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
So is this ~$40,000 RTF with 24hrs phone support
from India or China?

(if so, what/why on a "hobby" forum.
It makes our equipment feel like cheap

May 08, 2018, 04:45 PM
RCG Admin
This is the "Commercial" section of this site and pretty cool news to share.
May 13, 2018, 07:42 PM

NDT inspections

I agree, Jason.

Thanks for sharing, pretty amazing.

I'm an A&P (Aircraft Maintenance Tech) myself and I can see that this new technology will not only enhance other methods of NDT, but make airframes safer. The right tools make the job easier.

Aeromechanic
May 14, 2018, 11:57 AM
I buy ikarus piccolo/Eco8 stuf
Where's the little arm that holds a quarter to tap and listen for cracks?
May 16, 2018, 10:14 AM
Those props on motors look gear driven... ����
May 17, 2018, 11:58 AM
This latest drone thing feels like 2010 when comp sci graduates had an idea of an app for everything...Now its a drone for everything hehe. Only a very small percentage of these ideas are actually any good (just like the phone apps)...but man they are gonna try and use them for anything and everything. I guess this is okay for visual inspection of latches, access panels, and covers...but wont do for crack inspections.
May 18, 2018, 01:15 AM
I Hate Orange Props
I can provide an inspection drone for inspecting the inspection drone!
May 22, 2018, 10:14 AM
Memento Mori
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromechanic1
I agree, Jason.

Thanks for sharing, pretty amazing.

I'm an A&P (Aircraft Maintenance Tech) myself and I can see that this new technology will not only enhance other methods of NDT, but make airframes safer. The right tools make the job easier.

Aeromechanic
Cheers to a fellow A&P
May 28, 2018, 11:34 AM
i wonder how many unemployed as a result...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
Cheers to a fellow A&P
May 31, 2018, 11:23 AM
UAV Integrations
I wonder how many bridle makers, blacksmiths, and farmers were unemployed as a result of society embracing cars, no longer using horses...

Quick Reply