May 17, 2018, 07:28 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Is this going to work?

Norvel .061 RC Revlite BigMig, Dave Brown mount, unknown tank and that dude doesn't look happy.
As we can see here; CF-1s have to be cut back to accommodate the length of the engine and mount. F-1 firewall will either be reinforced with another ply plate added or replaced with thicker plywood.
Whole things gonna have to be chopped into pieces to fit in the fuel tank..... Just kidding.... Maybe kidding a little. Some chopping up will have to be done. Or, re Hair Engineering. Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of fun puns! Don't forget, this is supposed to be fun! Doesn't look like that tank has ever been used. No idea where I got it. I can see it needs a bit of help too.
Bad pic of the fuel tank. Clunk is all clunked. Will fix it later.

Who has run a Norvel .061RC inverted? My .074 does fine. Do the .061s do okay inverted? Or side mount exhaust down....

Give me some feedback people?
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2018, 07:42 AM
commit an act of aviation
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40
Norvel .061 RC Revlite BigMig, Dave Brown mount, unknown tank and that dude doesn't look happy.
As we can see here; CF-1s have to be cut back to accommodate the length of the engine and mount. F-1 firewall will either be reinforced with another ply plate added or replaced with thicker plywood.
Whole things gonna have to be chopped into pieces to fit in the fuel tank..... Just kidding.... Maybe kidding a little. Some chopping up will have to be done. Or, re Hair Engineering. Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of fun puns! Don't forget, this is supposed to be fun! Doesn't look like that tank has ever been used. No idea where I got it. I can see it needs a bit of help too.
Bad pic of the fuel tank. Clunk is all clunked. Will fix it later.

Who has run a Norvel .061RC inverted? My .074 does fine. Do the .061s do okay inverted? Or side mount exhaust down....

Give me some feedback people?
Looks like you have plenty of room to work with, I'm sure you'll come up with something. You don't have to use a plastic engine mount, you might consider going old-school with spruce mounting rails, or go with a U shaped piece of ply for the mount that you can integrate into the airframe. I went that route on my Shrike because the engine mount wouldn't fit, but there was plenty of room for the engine. I am using 2-56 hardware with blind buts and allen head screws. I got a ball head driver for those screws and it's made it so much easier! Wish I would have invested in doing that when I was a kid, it would have saved me countless hours of frustrations from dealing with those tiny flat head screws!

should be fine inverted as long as you pay attention to keeping the fuel tank level even with the spraybar on the carb...
May 17, 2018, 07:47 AM
I saw they did away with it too. I have another kit in the attic, but I think this will be the only one i build. I like it,and I think it will fly nicely, but it is rather boxy in its build. I think yours will have a much more appealing aesthetic when it is finished. One thing I can say about these Herr kits is the laser cutting is like a jigsaw puzzle. E.A.S.Y. build the way they make these kits.
May 19, 2018, 05:29 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Fuselage fun!!!

Hey Aaron, I have this new Dave Brown mount laying around forever that needs to fly/crash and they fit the Novels very well so it has to be used here.

Studying the plan and considering space, I have now cut back the CF-1s to increase space for the Norvel so it doesn't stick out the cowl giving too much prop clearance. Added a ply plate to the rear of the firewall to give a bit more strength/vibration tolerance and a bit more for fasteners to bite in to. Some TLAR right thrust and down thrust were added on assembly. Fuel tank area cut out now.

Used a template to cut out the sides and rooting around found a new larger Exacto. What a difference the right tool makes. Much easier on the Arther Itis!

Digger, I can't say this will turn out appealing yet but I am determined to crash it at some point! Its "stand off scale" like all my planes are. Get back, you're too close. Look better now?
The cutting has been my biggest challenge. I remember my AquaStar was cut real nice. Like you say, an easy fitting puzzle.

Who likes experiments? Experiment coming up just for fun!!!
May 19, 2018, 05:36 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

This should be incorporated

Wish I had some recommended degrees and fancy measuring tolls but I don't have either so.... TLAR

Wheres the experiment J40?
May 19, 2018, 05:39 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

An Experiment!!!!!!

Wow! Whats that? Just for kicks, Two paint cans taped together and windexed up the fuse sides. Critical jigging and glue time coming up.
May 19, 2018, 06:02 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

What the Heck? HOB?

Look what I found. Apparently the MAN issue made this undersized from its intended couple more inches. Making the at one time available Ziroli canopy and cowl too large. This plan is involved somehow and shows piece templates and detail I don't have. Also found a few old posts here and at RCU from confused modelers over this sizing thing. I've seen 30", 30.5" and 32" claimed so far. Had to have been frustrating for Nick having the magazine mangle the plan size. Mine will have a wing with included inches!

Also, just for fun; lots of posts claiming shes a tip stalling beast from hell. Some saying it flys good. Spun in rekitted images are out there for those inclined to search.
Yes, last night I used Google. You caught me.... Still haven't found a build guide associated with the pull out plan, however.........

HOUSE OF BALSA may or may not have made this kit at one time. Supposedly their old electric micro AT-6 was this Ziroli model. I don't know for sure.
May 20, 2018, 01:35 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Moving along

Pulled my experiment apart and found I now had preformed fuselage sides. Started fitting and gluing, rubber banding it up. Started a bit of fabricating "till it looks about right" on the top sheeting. No templates on my plan. No problem. Modeling at its finest. After attaching the front and rear op sheeting its time for filling and sanding to get started.

Just to see whats happening I jigged the components together and its starting to look like an airplane! Can't help but notice a giant hole behind the canopy. Not sure whats intended for that. Big enough for a machine gun turret?
May 21, 2018, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40 View Post
Pulled my experiment apart and found I now had preformed fuselage sides. Started fitting and gluing, rubber banding it up. Started a bit of fabricating "till it looks about right" on the top sheeting. No templates on my plan. No problem. Modeling at its finest. After attaching the front and rear op sheeting its time for filling and sanding to get started.

Just to see whats happening I jigged the components together and its starting to look like an airplane! Can't help but notice a giant hole behind the canopy. Not sure whats intended for that. Big enough for a machine gun turret?
wow man, great work! I love the fuse sides!
May 21, 2018, 12:04 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work..The skins look great.
FYI 2 HOB T6 for sale
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...epulveda-Basin
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 21, 2018, 04:49 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks Aaron and Turbo! Where do the Machine guns and Cannons go on this thang? Just kidding, however, looking at the shape of the Texan and Harvard in so many places; found Forward Air Control units during the Korean War had rockets mounted and used.

I saw those HOB AT-6s the other day and of course anything Sepulveda Basin is interesting. I remember being at the basin when it was fairly normal still. Wonder which kit he has. From what the internet tells me, the little electric is the one I'm doing now.

Been working on closing in the machine gun turret area and currently have a blob to sand off. Will post pics later. Time to start looking at soda bottles for cowls.
May 21, 2018, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40 View Post
Thanks Aaron and Turbo! Where do the Machine guns and Cannons go on this thang? Just kidding, however, looking at the shape of the Texan and Harvard in so many places; found Forward Air Control units during the Korean War had rockets mounted and used.

I saw those HOB AT-6s the other day and of course anything Sepulveda Basin is interesting. I remember being at the basin when it was fairly normal still. Wonder which kit he has. From what the internet tells me, the little electric is the one I'm doing now.

Been working on closing in the machine gun turret area and currently have a blob to sand off. Will post pics later. Time to start looking at soda bottles for cowls.
I saw those too... I used to drive an hour there frequently when I lived in the inland empire.
Aaron Shell flying a TREX 600 (4 min 26 sec)
May 22, 2018, 02:04 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Winging it now!

I'm glad I don't have to fly at the Basin. Not quick enough anymore on the sticks. However, I would consider it fun to watch others fly at the basin!

Had to add some siding for the canopy to cockpit interfacing. Kinda winging it here to close up the back for interfacing to the canopy. Just thin balsa saturated with ammonia for shaping and then filler and sanding. After the third fill and sand I have to stop as I'm going to end up sanding away something I shouldn't. Close enough for now. Put off the wing and other things long enough.

Decided to use 3/32 instead of 1/8" for my ailerons due to materials on hand and I think the lighter material will be fine. Got those cut out. Did some tapering on the control surfaces. The wing! Wow! Fragile...... The Guillows Guys that make them RC are way better than I! Those guys must see really well and have the magic touch! Snap, crackle, pop like rice krispies trying to sand the wing. Did make some headway though. Looks like this is going to come in around 30.5", my smallest RC plane to date. I can crash this baby though, I guarantee it! One constant in RC, if you continue to fly, you will crash sooner or later.

I might add cap strips to the top of the ribs. Thinking about a bit more sheeting for help against twisting, warping, monokoting etc. Still have time till I start weighing things and have plenty to do still.
May 22, 2018, 04:45 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hey it looks great from here
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 28, 2018, 11:20 PM

Herr AT 6 almost finished

Not enough photos from the last one to this one, but I am under a real time crunch. This T6 has to be ready to go to the SMALL event in Little Rock. I still have to do the radio install and mount the canopy. I think she should balance well with the 074 in the nose. Three channel and no landing gear in an attempt to get her as lite as possible. Looks like she is going to go to 16.1 oz. I hope that is low enough to keep away the dreaded tip stalls. I enjoyed the quick build and I am pleased with the "Kote" job, but she is extra boxy. In the air she will certainly look like she should, but up close, well.............. I hope the hand launch goes well on the maiden. You never know what you are going to get on the first flight. ( first time working with chrome. It was much better than I thought it would be. Don't try to get it to shrink a whole bunch. Pull it as tight as you can when applying)

Quick Reply