How Do You Transport Your Gliders?

Check out this thread to see glider transportation boxes and share your own ideas.

Splash

Tips, Tricks and Products for Transportation

Sailplanes have long wings and that means you need to break them down to get them to the flying field or for storage in your house. I recently picked up two "J" planes in a handmade cardboard transportation box and it got me thinking about all the custom boxes I've seen over the years at F3K contests and other events. I've also seen some commercially available transportation boxes and bags and I did the SportTube thing back in my sloping days.

I wanted to create this thread for everyone to showcase their glider storage/transportation boxes and share any designs, tips, tricks or products that you use and trust. No one wants to arrive at an event and find their glider got crushed by a suitcase during the trip, so let us know how you travel with your planes.

May 07, 2018, 11:37 AM
Freedom for Palestine
try windsurfing quiver sail bags. 1/3 of the cost Name: vario quiver07.jpg
Views: 198
Size: 6.9 KB
Description:
May 08, 2018, 01:32 PM
Klutzsquatch

Coroplast boxes....

Folded up Coroplast Boxes. Trays for separating wings and things. Foam cut out for the pods and booms.
May 09, 2018, 06:54 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Dedicated for each sailplane wing and fuse bags for transporting and storing done by my lovely wife..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rt-fabric-bags
Manolo.
May 09, 2018, 09:00 AM
There's a certain KISS practicality to being able to simply just plunk her down in the trunk, whip it right out when you are ready to fly. Why futz around with a bag?
May 09, 2018, 09:19 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
There's a certain KISS practicality to being able to simply just plunk her down in the trunk, whip it right out when you are ready to fly. Why futz around with a bag?
Wing skins can be delicate and get damaged. Why risk the hangar rash?
May 09, 2018, 10:04 AM

Buy a Prius

I just drive short distances, and by myself. So there is no need for containers for sailplanes.

I am lazy and prefer to keep wings fully assembled.

So, my Prius can handle wings fully assembled slightly over 3 meters.

Craig
May 09, 2018, 05:03 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
We've (FL soaring crew) been building these boxes.
Last edited by mikejr83; May 09, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
May 09, 2018, 08:36 PM
RCG Admin
Very nice!
May 09, 2018, 08:58 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Thanks Jason.

Jody has made a few of them. He has an amazing way of cutting foam to hold everything in the case perfectly.

I LOVE the Plane Quiver stuff. The v-tail socks are the perfect size for the Xplorer horizontal. The soft bag is what I carry my stuff in most of the time. However, when I'm going somewhere with the family, like mid-South, the hard case protects against all the other stuff that HAS to go.
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
May 10, 2018, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
We've (FL soaring crew) been building these boxes.
I have a plywood Supra case I bought from Bob Rondeau. It's very nice. Unfortunately, though, he's not around any more. (And when he was, it wasn't a business, I think he just didn't want to fly the Supra any more.) The case is a bit harder to fit in a car than a bag, and also heavier, but it's better protection.
May 10, 2018, 01:44 AM
BTW, I once bought a used Mantis that came with 3 close fitting wood boxes, 1 for each wing section.
May 10, 2018, 05:25 PM
Iím going to the NATS this year and this is one of my concerns. What is TSA proof?
May 10, 2018, 07:56 PM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
Iím going to the NATS this year and this is one of my concerns. What is TSA proof?
If you use a Sport tube, be sure to tape a stick in it to prevent TSA from breaking your plane after they inspect it when they close back up the tube.
Worked for me on my one trip to Slovakia.

Quick Reply