This thread is privately moderated by Dave Eichstedt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 06, 2018, 03:19 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

First Flight

First 4 flights are in the books. In short, an amazing success! She flies even better than I had hoped!

Thrust line and decalage are spot on, which means no changes required. And the stall performance - what stall? I actually had trouble inducing a stall! When it did stall, it just mushed forward even while holding full up elevator, and the wings were rock-stable. No hint of dropping a wing at all. This is flaps up or down. Video of first flight shows this around 4:50-4:57.

I did the first flight with assumptions for Flap-Elev Mix and a bunch of aileron differential. Over the next two flights I increased the Flap-Elev Mix a bunch, and added a significant amount of Ail-Rudd Mix. Now she's flying great. Very confidence-inspiring.

Power level was perfect. I was initially planning on using the 470 Kv Power 60, but only the 400 Kv was available. I needn't have worried, as the standard Power 60 with a 16 x 8 flew it really well. Loops from level flight were no problem.

I can't wait to get these kits on the market, as I think many of you are going to enjoy the way this thing flies.

20cc DHC-2 Beaver First Flight, First Prototype (8 min 24 sec)

Eli Field, David Eichstedth's Beaver, Flight 2 (3 min 17 sec)
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply