Aug 18, 2018, 03:15 PM
Thermals, Tom
No. Look at the picture. I circled it.
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2018, 03:28 PM
Thermals, Tom
I’ve defended you and your Nano for as long as I’ve had them. When windbags from other companies said you were the laughing stock of the industry , I reminded them that you did 2.4 full range when others said it couldn’t be done. Nomadio and a few other forgotten companies as well as some big names that may have even copied you. When those same experts had praise for Stillman, I reminded them that he uses your system in his conversions.

I don’t doubt your brilliance when it comes to electronics but maybe you’re a savant because deductive reasoning is not a strong point. You passionately defend your product and will jump at any explanation and hold to it even after it is pointed out that the remedy has been tried or the cause isn’t present or has been removed. Fine. Maybe it’s a business decision.

Now, I must try to figure out why the XPS Module and Nano combination won’t replace the A400 in the Radian. It will only move the servos in one direction.

I’m betting that the XPS module in the Aurora 9 will work fine. Any ideas?
Aug 18, 2018, 03:34 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Futaba doesn't make their own chips for their receivers. They are standard off the shelf TI chips that FrSky, Grauper, Futaba, Hitec, and several other Chinese 2.4GHz systems use. These chips are all narrow band which might help some lower frequency noise, but they are horrible (compared to XPS, JETI, JR DMSS, and even Spektrum) for higher frequency noise - like other 2.4GHz systems.
You know a lot for someone who doesnít care
Aug 18, 2018, 07:13 PM
Ever heard of beating a dead horse?
Aug 19, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thermals, Tom
It’s still kicking as long as the remedies don’t work
Aug 19, 2018, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
Now, I must try to figure out why the XPS Module and Nano combination won’t replace the A400 in the Radian. It will only move the servos in one direction.

I’m betting that the XPS module in the Aurora 9 will work fine. Any ideas?

You need to explain in detail (without mentioning any other products you have tried) *exactly* what problem you are having. This is the first I have heard about anything to do with servos. They move only one direction and won't move back? What EXACT setup are you using? What engine, what ignition, what XPS receiver (the transmitter/module won't matter) , what servos, switch, battery, etc? I have several hundred thousand customers currently, so I can't possibly keep track of what everyone is using for their setups! It is the reason why we have these support forums. Again, I need to have the EXACT setup of your system and DETAILS about the problem. Make it as bullet points to make it clearer.... ie:
  • Engine - xxxx
  • Ignition System - xxxx
  • Servos - xxxx
  • Switch - xxxx
  • Battery - xxxx
  • Receiver - xxxx

• Problem Details - xxx x x xx x xx

Incidentally, we have a huge following in the gas boat community (1/2 of the top ten pro drivers run XPS at NAMBA events). Bad switches can cause problems like servos moving intermittently as the system reboots over and over due to loss of power when analog servos are used.
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 19, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
Aug 19, 2018, 02:56 PM
Thermals, Tom
My one and only electric model.
https://tinyurl.com/y7hlnt64

Take the supplied AR400 out (does that violate your rule about mentioning other products?) and put in a Nano.
Aug 19, 2018, 04:48 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:

Incidentally, we have a huge following in the gas boat community (1/2 of the top ten pro drivers run XPS at NAMBA events). Bad switches can cause problems like servos moving intermittently as the system reboots over and over due to loss of power when analog servos are used.

One reason we tested the systems without switches. We merely ran the engines in proximity to the powered receivers.
Whenever someone tells me there is something wrong with their RC system (usually followed by a crash) my first suspect is always the power supply [BATT] followed by the switch. Maybe your order is reversed but we both probably have them in 1st and 2nd place.
Aug 19, 2018, 09:40 PM
Quote:
My one and only electric model.
https://tinyurl.com/y7hlnt64

Take the supplied AR400 out (does that violate your rule about mentioning other products?) and put in a Nano.

Ok, that's great... WHAT problem are you having? If you want help with something, you have to provide the necessary information so we can help you!
Aug 19, 2018, 09:41 PM
Quote:

One reason we tested the systems without switches. We merely ran the engines in proximity to the powered receivers.
Whenever someone tells me there is something wrong with their RC system (usually followed by a crash) my first suspect is always the power supply [BATT] followed by the switch. Maybe your order is reversed but we both probably have them in 1st and 2nd place.

Your posts are EXTREMELY confusing! I am just trying to figure out WHAT problem you are having!
Aug 20, 2018, 06:55 AM
Thermals, Tom
It’s a problem of bias. Maybe I should just bring the test
equipment to Stillman. He’s smart and doesn’t have a dog in the fight.
Aug 20, 2018, 08:51 AM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
I could certainly see a problem with the Mark II unit working with anything. There is no isolation at all so it would pass RFI/EMI through the servo connection. The Nano's are super sensitive receivers.
From the mfg:

The switch has optical isolation from the ignition coil and RF bypassing in the input of the unit. I have found that on occasion, noise finds its way into the receiver through the servo leads to the receiver. Ace Radio had produced a noise trap to be used in the servo leads. Perhaps this would be the answer to your problem. I may still have information in my archives which will have to be located If I can find it, I will forward it to you. Let me have your snail mailing info.
Marv
Aug 20, 2018, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Itís a problem of bias.

WHAT does that mean? If you have a problem, please describe what it is. You are talking in riddlesl
Aug 20, 2018, 10:33 PM
Quote:
From the mfg:

The switch has optical isolation from the ignition coil and RF bypassing in the input of the unit. I have found that on occasion, noise finds its way into the receiver through the servo leads to the receiver. Ace Radio had produced a noise trap to be used in the servo leads. Perhaps this would be the answer to your problem. I may still have information in my archives which will have to be located If I can find it, I will forward it to you. Let me have your snail mailing info.
Marv

Note the bold. This is what I (and Andy) have been talking about. The receiver ports have resistors on them between the signal and the CPU. This should be a high impedance path to prevent catastrophic bus failure should a servo short out. However, doing that drives the servo electronics with a lot less current and as a result RFI/EMI can actually have a signal level higher than what the receiver can put out, which can result in servos moving on their own or not responding at all.
Aug 21, 2018, 04:09 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Note the bold. This is what I (and Andy) have been talking about. The receiver ports have resistors on them between the signal and the CPU. This should be a high impedance path to prevent catastrophic bus failure should a servo short out. However, doing that drives the servo electronics with a lot less current and as a result RFI/EMI can actually have a signal level higher than what the receiver can put out, which can result in servos moving on their own or not responding at all.
I include everything that has been relayed to me and everything I observe without bias. I don’t rephrase someone’s question so I can give the answer I want. Nor do I “snip” things from threads that I don’t like. I don’t know how many times I have to say it but the servos worked properly with the Nano. That’s why we didn’t include it in the bench test.

So far we have one manufacturer’s receivers that were never affected in any manner, another that responded by developing a resistant receiver, and a whole lot of windbags and fanboys who dance around the issues and obfuscate while composing posts in Pidgin.
Few want to weigh in publicly, preferring to stick with the brands that work but I’m getting some support in my inbox.

Quick Reply