Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 06, 2018, 02:25 PM
Thermals, Tom
New Product

FG series Futaba on XPS

Favored for its sliding trims, the conversion of the gold FG transmitter just got slicker.
Previously, the module had to be held in with Shoe-Goo because the module was so much smaller than the hole it filled.
JMP Products was at Toledo and I picked up one of their 3D printed adaptors.
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thermals, Tom
Hereís the back. Didnít upload first time.
May 06, 2018, 08:47 PM
That's nice! Amazing how far we have come along with 3D printers where we can make actual functional parts.
May 29, 2018, 08:28 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Do you have a link for JMP?
Aug 12, 2018, 11:50 AM
Thermals, Tom
They are available from JMP_Blackfoot
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=18854

I am still trying to sort out some issues with that conversion to XPS. It worked fine in my Playboy with a Cyke until the MARV STERN ignition unit stopped working with the Nano (only the throttle channel-not full on goofy like Spektrum)
I most recently tried putting it in a Radian but the servos will only move one way

JMP worked on his throttle ratchet. You will notice that the way they come, it wonít travel UP as much as the right stick.
Hope that helps.
Aug 12, 2018, 03:59 PM
Do you have a metal clevis on the engine's throttle arm? Metal on metal will cause RF interference so you should always use a plastic clevis on a throttle arm.
Aug 12, 2018, 06:15 PM
Thermals, Tom
There is no throttle
Aug 12, 2018, 06:18 PM
Thermals, Tom
The surging you hear on some of the videos is the switch turning on and off.
The Stern unit eliminates the need for a servo to operate a switch and turns off if the engine stops with the points closed so the coil isn’t cooked.
Aug 12, 2018, 06:24 PM
Thermals, Tom

Ignition board.

Iíd like to use my Nanos with these but the only receivers that work 100% are Futaba Fasst and Fhss
Aug 12, 2018, 09:47 PM
I could certainly see a problem with the Mark II unit working with anything. There is no isolation at all so it would pass RFI/EMI through the servo connection. The Nano's are super sensitive receivers.
Aug 13, 2018, 06:39 AM
Thermals, Tom
They worked fine on AM , PCM, and FM and they work fine with Futabaís 2.4 protocols.
His email is on that sheet. Perhaps, you can talk tech and figure out these anamolies
Aug 13, 2018, 06:45 AM
Thermals, Tom
Through the servos connections? With the Nano we had no issues show up in the servos ,that was Spektrum and FrSky before FrSky tackled the ignition noise issue (they were called and had a fix in a few mos.)
The Stern unit is a servoless system. On & Off with coil protection.

Figure out a fix and a $29 receiver with these capabilities will have a new market of guys who like upgrading old transmitters.
Aug 13, 2018, 01:04 PM
We already have a large market that we sell to for upgrading old transmitters. Tony Stillman (exc. director of the AMA) has a business called Radio South and uses our modules/receivers for these upgrades, and we sell a bunch directly to the public as wel.

The Mark II doesn't have optical isolation (like the other two versions do) for the connection to the receiver. So, RFI/EMI passes through that connection to the rest of the receiver. Have you tried the ESW-1 or Mark III?
Aug 13, 2018, 01:25 PM
Thermals, Tom
I only have the Mark 3.
My dad has a single Mark 2 Which has been flown with
Futaba 4 Ch FHSS and Tactic. No issues whatsoever.
At this point , only a freeflighter would use the Mark 1.

Tony converted two of my Kraft single sticks to XPS. I showed them to you about 5 years ago (last time at Weak Signals Show) We brought this issue to his attention at Toledo this year and he thought it might be because Futaba makes their own chips. IE: itís a hardware issue and not the protocol. Initially that sounded plausible but the Chinese knockoffs of Futaba show similar resilience.
Aug 14, 2018, 12:30 AM
Futaba doesn't make their own chips for their receivers. They are standard off the shelf TI chips that FrSky, Grauper, Futaba, Hitec, and several other Chinese 2.4GHz systems use. These chips are all narrow band which might help some lower frequency noise, but they are horrible (compared to XPS, JETI, JR DMSS, and even Spektrum) for higher frequency noise - like other 2.4GHz systems.

Quick Reply