Jun 15, 2018, 04:00 AM
Auzzie built planks
Sweet. Getting there mate
Latest blog entry: More colours
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2018, 06:03 AM
Wow! Neat job Gaza! The day I break my keel on my trimaran I send you a PM, ok?
Jun 21, 2018, 05:52 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Brinck
Wow! Neat job Gaza! The day I break my keel on my trimaran I send you a PM, ok?
Next keel build will go easier I'll get release correct. Freight might be a killer to send to you, but then I could do cheaper than most boat builders.

So keel has left my workshop it is at mates place he is doing more work on it. If he has had a good run bulb should be fitted and just final buff needed. Test fit to boat is next Friday before a weekend of sailing.

Workshop still needs a good clean that can wait a bit more, just want to put time into planes.

Made some steel backing frames today. These are to hold moulds for the different configurations. Next is to drill and tap holes after a few hours thinking and marking so I don't get them in the wrong spot. Some errors in machining of mdf moulds I'll have to shim to get better alignment. So good doing test moulds it's showing me all the problems etc I need to solve before going to steel moulds.

Need some flying time getting withdrawals, might get ok wind this weekend.
Jun 27, 2018, 05:17 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
Silly weather man keeps telling me there will be east in the breeze and only getting south.

Steel frames are now finished.

Waxing time and to plan layups.

Fitting keel to boat Friday and then sailing all weekend so made some time next week I'll get a wing made. I'll have to build a few Windburner fuses, a little hold up on new fuse.
Jun 27, 2018, 11:02 PM
pnc
pnc
Shittttttt that's all bar stock is that 1.5 bar?
Jun 28, 2018, 12:30 AM
Wow. I had not noticed that. That's some serious construction !!
Jun 29, 2018, 04:22 PM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
PNC
25mm square bar machined flat and tapered to match wing dihedral.

Jono
Just a bit of steel. Theses will work good enough for the prototypes,

Keel is now fitted to boat, bulb fitted ready to go sailing

Finally internet starts working properly so I can finish if post.
Last edited by gazasmith; Jun 29, 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Jun 30, 2018, 05:00 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
Don't have machined cores so made a few PU cores today.
Not perfect but good enough to use.
Glued some cloth to core and coated with resin before putting in mould. Lots of bolts to clamp.
Mould flex to the max, around 2mm in the middle and 1mm towards tips. These moulds prob no good for solid cores.
Jul 01, 2018, 03:50 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
First 1200 wing out of mould, a few bubbles, fish eyes in paint but good enough foe me to crash. Will fit on WB fuse so can get a test flight while waiting for new fuse.

After I cut hinges I feel a small change and I can add a third servo for centre flap. Get some good drag from flap for slower landings.

Foods up
Gaza
Jul 03, 2018, 12:13 PM
A dream will find you

Fantastic...

Well done indeed Gaza. Looks the goods.

Double plus good.
Jul 05, 2018, 07:07 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
With a couple of 1200 wings built was time to think bigger.
1500 thoughts last a few seconds so now I have 2000 wing moulds set up and painting is happening.
My problem is I have white red yellow and primer so how do I make a mad arse paint job like I do with the RB. Well I'm trying a combo of masking and blending. Should hopefully still get sharpe lines and bold colour segments just a greater variation in colour than the tins of paint.

Now planing layup I have got to 100g DB carbon outer layer now vale. 2-3mm foam. Will 24g glass be enough for inner layer over foam or should I go for 80g glass. Spar caps 450g carbon uni. Main spar 300g carbon sock. Sub spars I need better straws but prob try carbon tow intstead I'd DB that unwound on last build. Target weight is under400g for wing, I need and want to get lots of flight time locally.

More info later
Jul 05, 2018, 09:50 PM
608 km/h!
Hey gaz I'd probably lean to the 80g glass as it won't add a great deal of weight and you'll probably be surprised how light a breeze a slick 2M plank will fly in. My one scorcher plank I did was at least 1500g and it flew in ten knots or so.
Glad you like the sca paint.
Jul 06, 2018, 11:43 PM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18
Hey gaz I'd probably lean to the 80g glass as it won't add a great deal of weight and you'll probably be surprised how light a breeze a slick 2M plank will fly in. My one scorcher plank I did was at least 1500g and it flew in ten knots or so.
Glad you like the sca paint.
A 350g RockBreaker is good but a 300g is better, flies more often on my local slope. Pushing as light as possible is a must, can add weight later I just want it in the air ASAP not have to weight for a few extra knots if wind.

2mtr wing in the bag. It took aExtra100g of resin to layup and not enough coming back out under vacuum. If it finishes under 500g I'll be happy enough.
Looking at fuse to put it on. I've decided the TRock fuse and old RB tail. The extra length will help stop the yaw, old tail is foiled so loss of area compared to WB tail is not a factor.
Jul 08, 2018, 06:34 AM
Rock Breaker
Thread OP
Woke up this morning to a rattling house, 30knts of winds and a shire fleeced sea. Just a pity it was off angle, really need a south slope. Sun was out so there was hope it would swing enough later in the day. The wind eased off to 20knts and swung to SE just on angle so I grab the Tweety and headed to the water tower.
Ken was there he launched a RockBreaker cruising around fine just could see it was a bit rough. Powered up and out went the Tweety. A few clicks of trim and she was flying around. It was a handfully, needs tuning, didn't help was at max wind strength for weight and the rough conditions. To hard to tune so I'll wait for a better day.

Quick Reply