May 05, 2018, 03:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

Douglas TBD Devastator @ 1:7.3 scale

With the changes to the Buffalo well on their way to completion, thought I would start the Devastator build.
Much maligned due to it's performance at Midway, still I think an amazing aircraft. Really like the lines and huge wing.
It's problems in combat were due to being thrown in when it was already obsolete. Designed in 1934 it was at the top of
attack aircraft. But 8 years later it was badly outclassed with all the rapid improvements that happens in wartime. Also tactics were
part of their problem because remember, the new TBFs were creamed at Midway too. But a plane with a cruising speed of 206 mph
was never going to have a chance.

From a Boeing websiite
Historical Snapshot:
"TBD Devastator Torpedo Bomber
When the U.S. Navy placed a contract with Douglas Aircraft Co. for the development of the TBD torpedo bomber in 1934, a new era in naval aviation began. Biplanes on carrier decks would soon be consigned to history.

The TBD Devastator was the Navy’s first all-metal, monoplane torpedo bomber. It was also the Navy’s first production carrier-based plane to come with an enclosed cockpit, and the first to use main landing gear wheel brakes. While most carrier-based aircraft of the day had manually folded wings for storage aboard ship, the TBD featured hydraulic folding wings. The plane had a crew of three (pilot, bombardier and gunner) and carried a half-ton (0.45-tonne) torpedo. It entered service with the fleet in 1937. One sailor, after looking it over, said, “It’s got everything but the kitchen sink.”

In December 1941, 100 TDB Devastators formed the backbone of the Navy’s carrier torpedo force in the Pacific. During hit-and-run raids against Japanese bases in the Central Pacific in early 1942, TBDs sank two transports and destroyed or damaged 10 other vessels. In May 1942, during the Battle of the Coral Sea, TBDs helped sink one enemy carrier and heavily damage another. These early actions, however, revealed the Devastator’s shortcomings in speed and range and exposed problems with its main offensive weapon: its torpedoes often failed to explode.

The TBD next saw action in the Battle of Midway in June. This was a complete victory for the. Navy, but of the 41 Devastators that took part in the battle’s first day, only six made it back to their carriers. The TBD’s slow speed, light defensive armament and poor maneuverability made it easy prey for the famous Japanese Zero fighter. On the last day of the battle, however, three TBDs did help sink one heavy cruiser and seriously damage another.

An aircraft of advanced design in 1934, the Devastator was obsolete by 1942. Its first six months of combat would be its last. The TBD was withdrawn from front-line service in summer 1942 but continued in service as an advanced trainer until the end of the war. A total of 130 TBDs were built."

I've been watching Paul Kohlmann's design of the TBD over in the Scale Forum. Asked if he could enlarge it from the original 60" ws to 82".
Very kind of him to do that and send me two copies for my build. I already had a plan of the same size by Scale Plans and Photo Service that is a conventional
balsa build up build. But I feel Paul's are more exact. I didn't need drawn parts, just the basic outlines that fits my style of building.
So this build will be as usual flying by the seat of my pants. Will be deciding on how to build each component as I get to it. I have decided to build it up as I
did the Buffalo, lay a keel and build half at a time. then skin with 6mm MPF and finally balsa skin it. Makes a very light and durable fuse.
So I started today by tracing the former stations. I'll use these to cut formers for the shell out of either 1/2" or 3/4" blue foam.
The build will take awhile since I still need to finish up the changes to the Buffalo and still have to at some time rebuild the struts on the IL-2.
Not much yet but it's a start.

J
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2018, 03:45 PM
Can't wait!
May 05, 2018, 04:16 PM
John, I think the pink adds a little panache.

Can't wait to see it.

Den
May 05, 2018, 04:26 PM
Mike
Looking forward to this build as well!
May 05, 2018, 04:34 PM
Subbed in! The Devastator is a beautiful plane. Better looking of it's peers for sure. Will be watching with interest!

raipe
May 05, 2018, 05:08 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Another fun adventure in model aviation...not to be missed.

Some historic footage:
Recovering the Devastator (1 min 7 sec)

Dauntless SBD Devastator TBD Midway Dive Bombers (9 min 32 sec)
Last edited by xplaneguy; May 05, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
May 05, 2018, 05:52 PM
Thought I should take a look around outside Scale Kit / Scratch Build and what do I find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
I didn't need drawn parts, just the basic outlines that fits my style of building. So this build will be as usual flying by the seat of my pants. Will be deciding on how to build each component as I get to it.
Get yourself a hat printed up: "Adaptive Sequential Decision Maker". Perfectly respectible in management science.

This will be a nice alternative take on Paul's build-up model.

1/7.3 scale. Of course!

Alec
May 05, 2018, 06:50 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi John,

Looking forward to seeing your spin on this one. You know she'll be a sweet flyer.

Have fun!

Paul
May 05, 2018, 07:10 PM
Foam abuser!
And another Morgan build is on the board. Looking forward to watching this one take shape!

Pat
May 05, 2018, 07:15 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Den, Mike, raipe

Great Tony,
Not sure I have seen that second one yet. Need to order "Dive Bomber" too since the TBDs were a star in it.

Alec,
You need to get out more.
ASDM, I like that much better than PTSD.
And yes, 1:7.3 scale. I told Paul to make it 82", I like that size.
Actually it's 1:7.3170731707.............................. ad nauseum.

Get ready Paul, now is when the questions will start coming.

J
May 05, 2018, 07:28 PM
Oh boy, here we go again!
May 05, 2018, 07:48 PM
They call me Lipo...
Absolutely, positively, one of my ALL TIME favorite planes...HECK YEAH !!!
May 05, 2018, 07:54 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Thanks Den, Mike, raipe

Great Tony,
Not sure I have seen that second one yet. Need to order "Dive Bomber" too since the TBDs were a star in it.

Alec,
You need to get out more.
ASDM, I like that much better than PTSD.
And yes, 1:7.3 scale. I told Paul to make it 82", I like that size.
Actually it's 1:7.3170731707.............................. ad nauseum.

Get ready Paul, now is when the questions will start coming.

J
"Dive Bomber" is GREAT! I have it...go figure...

Errol Flynn and Fred MacMurray were in it and MOST of it was actually shot in San Diego at North Island...

It's notable because it prominently featured the U.S.S. Enterprise and is an interesting look at pre-war U.S. Naval ops....VERY cool movie indeed...

May 05, 2018, 08:32 PM
No Hangar Queens!
I'm all-in as well. Looking forward to this one for sure.
May 05, 2018, 08:33 PM
When cows fly!
Gonna watch this one!

Quick Reply