May 05, 2018, 12:53 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Thread OP
Build Log

VQ Warbirds - P-47D Thunderbolt 'Tarheel Hal' .20 size EP assembly log

I didn't find anything on RCG about this warbird, thus this posting.

Several nights ago, I found myself on the VQ warbirds website. I stumbled across this P-47 Thunderbolt 'Tarheel Hal' model and really liked the .20 size. It was an impulse buy once i noticed it was a one piece wing with 48" span!! I also purchased the matching electric retractable gear.

I'm not really a 'warbird' Guy per se. My favorite aircraft are general aviation/civilian airplanes. I have a couple Eflite micro warbirds though. Well my local club that I belong to, has a Warbird Day one weekend each year. I've always wanted to participate/fly so the not too common Tarheel Hal in this 48" size caught my eye.

Well a week went by since my order was placed with Tomas at VQwarbirds.com and today the carton arrived in fine condition. I opened the shipping box to find the model box inside. Once inside the model box I was intrigued at the way the airplane components were packed! Each piece of the plane was placed in a plastic bag, then just taped in place with several pieces of clear packing tape, to keep it stabilized inside the box. I was expecting a styrofoam type cradle such as found with Horizon Hobby Arfs. Fuselage, tailplane, cowl and retracts above a cardboard divider that separated them from the one piece wing below. After removing and inspecting each piece of the plane, all was found to be in perfect condition. No dents in the fuselage/wing, nor any wrinkles at all in the covering!!

Off to a good start and I am pleased so far.

I am going to order a motor and ESC from headsuprc.com once they come back in stock. Jesse told me a couple more weeks. Need four Hitec servos as well. Meanwhile I will update this thread as I get the time to unwrap each component as well as start the assembly of this plane. Lots of preassembly has already been done at VQ.

Wingspan: 1220mm (48 Inches)
Wing Area: 25.6sq.dm (397 Square Inches)
Wing Loading: 62.5g/dm.sq. (21 Ounces Per Square Foot)
Length: 1000mm (39.4 Inches)
Minimum Weight Ready to Fly (Will Vary w/Equipment Used): 1.6Kg (3.5 Pounds)
Functions: Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle and Optional Retracts

I invite you to follow along, share thoughts, ask questions as you please.
Last edited by King of Plane; May 05, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2018, 02:21 AM
I thought I might get this one but VQ quoted over $560 Australian dollars for shipping to Aus. That is outrageous. I could fly over and pick it up myself for that price.
May 19, 2018, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
I think FedEx postage was around 75$ to go half way across the USA to me.

I received the 9gram metal gear servos in yesterday's mail for this build. Now trying to locate the motor and ESC that I want to use, but has been out of stock at Headsuprc for several weeks now. May have to choose another option for these two items
Nov 18, 2018, 09:36 AM
Have you done anything more with this plane?
Nov 18, 2018, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Hi Gene. I have not.
I meant to get it ready for our Warbird Day, but failed to. I have everything needed to assemble and finish
Nov 18, 2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks K O P. I have one that has been sitting here waiting for me to assemble it. I’m debating on which brushless motor to use. I have an Axi 2808/24 that is supposed to be used to replace up to a. 25 glow engine but I’m not sure if that will be enough power.
May 13, 2019, 05:40 PM
Has anyone put like saito .40 4stroke on this plane wondering if it would fit with the carb behind the cylinder
Jan 17, 2020, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamann1
Has anyone put like saito .40 4stroke on this plane wondering if it would fit with the carb behind the cylinder
No but mine has an Surpass 40 on it. Had to move the firewall aft to get it to fit properly. Fuel-proofed and almost ready but completion stalled due to other stuff. The FA-40a is smaller and may fit without moving firewall back but you would still want to beef up the firewall. It's thin ply, good for electric motors.

Quick Reply