This thread is privately moderated by Dirty Dee, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 07, 2018, 08:32 PM
D.D.

I'm just looking for a set (2) Scale" 100% FSA Thrust Tubes 80mm. Just let me know when I
can place an order. They look great! Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2018, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
sounds good. I added you to the queue in the first post to hold your place. I'll PM you when the thrust tubes are ready.
May 12, 2018, 09:41 AM
PM sent.

Thanks, DD. This is great stuff.
May 13, 2018, 05:58 PM
Official Boat Bum
Awrsome stuff guys, DirtyDee sent out my kit well packed - and the parts look awesome! DD if you do not mind I will post a few photos of the parts coming together down the road as we go!

The pilot is a JHH full body 1/10 scale figure.
May 13, 2018, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Glad everything arrived unbroken! Yea, post away with progress pics. I'm still working on adding more general build notes, but don't be shy about asking questions if something doesn't make sense.
May 16, 2018, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
Recommended Supplies
  • Acetone
  • Snap Knife
  • Xacto Knife
  • high build primer (optional, but recommended)
  • 5-10min epoxy
  • 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive

Recommended Sequence of Construction
  1. Prepare opening for tub
  2. Assemble Tub
  3. Cut JHH Pilot Legs as needed to fit in tub and sit properly in Ejection Seat
  4. Assemble and paint front instrument panel shroud and HUD
  5. Paint and prepare front instrument panel
  6. Glue instrument panel to shroud
  7. Install front canopy frame
  8. Dry-fit front decking. Trace opening where front instrument shroud will sit and remove foam for proper fit.
  9. Dry-fit front instrument panel and tub. You will notice the parts are shaped to fit flush against one another. Trim foam if needed.
  10. Trim top of cockpit tub as needed to be flush with the foam decking. The supplied ABS rear decking will sit on top of the edge when glued down.
  11. Glue in Tub
  12. Attach Pilot
  13. Use 3M 77 spray for front decking, and install front decking.
  14. Glue in front Instrument Panel
  15. Assemble rear canopy operator. Use a small piano wire or carbon rod for "L" shaped piece to attach to the hinged base.
  16. Dry-fit Rear Decking, rear canopy frame, and rear canopy operator
  17. Use 3M 77 spray for rear decking, and install rear decking.
  18. Glue in Rear Canopy Frame
  19. Glue in Rear Canopy Operator.

Front Instrument Panel Shroud and HUD
  1. Trim various pieces for proper flush fitment. You will notice 3D printed parts have a "grain" similar to balsa, so be careful when you cut in vertain orientations because it might go further than you expect.
  2. Use a small scrap of paper towel or brush, and apply acetone until the joining surface starts to look glossy and gets some tack
  3. Press down shroud section onto the instrument panel fairing and hold briefly until the parts stay together.
  4. you can wick in some more acetone into the joints to help give it more bonding surface.
  5. Be careful not to overdo it with the acetone as it will soften the parts and lose detail depending where its applied.
  6. If you apply too much, blow at the spots with a bit of force to help evaporate it quickly.
  7. You will have a good amount of working time before the pieces set, so getting the HUD installed and squared shouldnt bee too dificult. With the frame voids, they should mostly self-align.
  8. glue can be used instead of acetone, but test on some scrap ABS pieces (rear canopy frame supports is a good option)
  9. If you use CA, you may need to use kicker to make it set.
  10. It may be a good idea to prime and paint this whole assembly after its all glued together, but before adding the clear HUD piece.
Last edited by Dirty Dee; May 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
May 16, 2018, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Recommended Supplies
  • Snap Knife
  • Xacto Knife
  • 5-10min epoxy
  • Dremel (optional)

Front Canopy Frame
  1. Trim excess support material and give the part a general sanding
  2. I personally didn't prime the frame and painted it directly with Tamiya flat black acrylic.
  3. The front canopy frame has 4 prongs meant to go into the foam. Trace these in their respective spots and remove foam.
  4. Dry fit the front frame to the foam deck and dry fit the canopy to verify it will seat properly. Deepen the holes in the foam as needed.
  5. If you kept the front cross-brace, you will have to cut a shallow trench in the foam to properly seat the canopy.
  6. Also, if you kept the front cross-brace, you will have to trim a small section of the front decking

Rear Canopy Frame
  1. Trim excess support material and give the part a general sanding
  2. I personally didn't prime the frame and painted it directly with Tamiya flat black acrylic (frame), Silver (mirrors), and yellow (latches).
  3. install rear frame after tub and rear decking are in place
May 17, 2018, 11:45 AM
Thread OP

Picking Your Front Instrument Panel

You will notice that the kit comes with 2 different front instrument panels.
  • Flat
  • Raised center gauges

I have installed the flat version in my cockpit, and is the easiest to install and requires the least trimming of the provided photo. Super77 spray adhesive worked well for me here, and then I hit it with a clear satin coat to seal it in.

Another tip: after you trim and glue on the instruments, used a fine brush, and paint the edges of the cut picture pieces black to hide the white edging of the photo paper.
May 19, 2018, 12:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
These are awesome photos and build guides. Thanks DD! I have been so blasted busy but have started filling and sanding my airframe to prep for the custom paint scheme (can't leave well enough alone of course). Soon I will get the cockpit mods going!
May 19, 2018, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Sure thing!

BTW, here is a picture a hobbysquawk user sent me with his progress He is using the raised version of the instrument panel and did a fine job of painting tiny details.
May 19, 2018, 11:47 PM
It's nice to watch and understand that I will become the owner of such beauty ....
May 22, 2018, 01:27 PM
Thing of beauty!
May 29, 2018, 01:25 AM
Official Boat Bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
More photos
Looks fantastic! I made some good cuts today and have the cockpit dry fit, pilot trimmed, panels and parts primed (the ones easily seen as I wanted to fill the surface of the glareshiled, exhausts, etc). Man, my canopy was glued in with gusto. It took some doing to get it free but it's all good thankfully. Great to have your build pics, it was a confidence builder cutting into this new plane. I've built many cockpits myself but it's nice working with a "kit" like this. Really nice work DD!
May 31, 2018, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Very cool! Cant wait to see your handy work

Quick Reply