This thread is privately moderated by Dirty Dee, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2018, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FW A-10 Thunderbolt II 3D Printed Cockpit Upgrade Kit

I have developed a 3D printed cockpit upgrade kit specific for the 1.7m Freewing A-10 Thunderbolt II. The complete interior is replaced with 3D printed decking and parts using ABS, which has a higher heat tolerance to PLA. Other nice features of ABS is the ease of sanding and ability to be smoothed with acetone (and even glued/welded together with it).

I am offering my printing services to print this cockpit set for anyone interested in doing this upgrade for their A-10.

Features:
  • All ABS parts
  • No exposed foam to gator in the sun
  • Greater scale fidelity than the stock cockpit
  • ACES II ejection seat fits 1/10th scale JHH pilot figure
  • Instrument panel modeled as A-10A variant
  • (If there is enough interest I may offer an A-10C option)

Kit Contents:
  • Unpainted ABS parts. 0.2mm layer height for all parts with the exception of the ACES II, which is 0.15mm layer height.
  • Clear PTEG piece for HUD
  • Instrument panels/gauges printed on photo paper.

Modification Requirements:
  • Canopy removal
  • Extensive cockpit foam shaving
  • Cockpit tub removal and widening
  • Canopy frame alignment with canopy piece

Pricing :
Full kit - $90 Shipped CONUS
w/o ABS decking $88 Shipped CONUS
(free decking templates will be provided for anyone wanting to cut from styrene or other sheeting material.)

Ordering Info:
Send me a PM with what you would like and if you would like to include any other A-10 accessories listed in post #4. I will then give estimated lead time as well as my PayPal information. If there is a backlog of 3+ people, you can hold off on sending a payment and I will put you in the queue. When your set is ready I will send a PM and you can then send the payment.

It takes about 3-5 days to print the full cockpit set.

Digital Downlowd for 3D Printer Owners
I decided to host the files on Cults3D for anyone who owns a printer and would prefer to print the parts for themselves rather than buy a physical set.

Link to the web-page. Download is listed at $20:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game...le-cockpit-set

Note: Cults3D takes a 20% commission (4$) for each download. If you would prefer to purchase the files directly to show support, you can PM me and purchase the files directly. This method I would email you a zip file.
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Aug 28, 2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Price increase
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2018, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Detailed pictures of kit contents. Some of the small pieces like the HUD and forward hanging instrument gauges I am providing extras in case of goof-ups during installation or misplacing a piece. The HUD frame and forward gauges I am keeping on the support material to protect the parts during shipping as well as make it easier to locate when un-boxing and assembling. The rear canopy frame can also be seen with a support brace, also to protect against shipping damage and will need to be removed before installation.
Last edited by Dirty Dee; May 11, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
May 04, 2018, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Attachments for Instrument panels/gauges (print on 4"x6" paper) and template for decking for anyone who opts out of purchasing the ABS parts.
May 04, 2018, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
The box I use to to ship these kits has plenty of extra room, so if anyone is interested in bundling some extra 3D printed parts into the order it could be a good opportunity to save on shipping costs.

"Scale" 100% FSA Thrust Tubes (2)
$20
0.2mm layer height
You get a pair
(only available for 80mm Nacelles)
Printed in ABS
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753347

Fuselage Vents
$5
0.1mm layer height (long print)
Replace the molded foam ones and give functional vents
Printed in PLA
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2742343

Gun Gas Purge Vents
$4
0.1mm layer height
Replace the molded foam ones and give functional vents
Printed in PLA
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2742350

Port Louvers
$3
0.2mm layer height
Replace the waterslide decals
Printed in PLA
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2742357

GAU-8 Antenna
$1
Printed in ABS

Fuselage Pylons
$15
0.2mm layer height
Printed in ABS
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2744129
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Aug 18, 2018 at 09:47 PM.
May 04, 2018, 12:53 AM
Thread OP

Cockpit Preperations

Preparing The Rear Deck
  1. Using something like a putty knife, run the edge under the canopy to loosen the glue, and free it from the fuselage.
  2. Slice off the rear section of the cockpit deck per the annotated pictures. Use a ruler, and mark 5mm from the crease along the side.
  3. Using a snap kife or exacto, lightly score a path along the marks to start the incision.
  4. After the foam is scored, used a snap knife and begin carving the rear deck away. It helps to lightly saw the blade instead of forcing the edge to make the cut.

Preparing The Forward Deck
  1. As the ABS decking has a 0.6mm thickness, trimming of the forward decking might be required for the surface to remain flush under the edge of the windows. The trimming is less critical if you plan to snip off the front cross brace on the forward canopy frame piece (detailed in later steps).

Preparing The Tub
  1. Tub section will need to be cut out all the way through the bottom for the installation of the kit piece.
  2. Refer to the annotated pictures for dimensions for widening and extending the existing tub void.
  3. With the tub sitting flush with the bottom of the fuselage hatch piece, you will need to remove foam carefully near the attachment magnets.
  4. Kit pieces have built in voids to give extra clearance and not interfere with the magnets.
Last edited by Dirty Dee; May 10, 2018 at 12:07 AM.
May 04, 2018, 11:34 AM
I love Corsairs!
Wow, that looks great! Can you provide a link to the pilot figure?
May 04, 2018, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!

Pilot figure is from the below link. It is listed as "1/10 Scale Full Body Pilot Unpainted (JHH Pilots, for use with all our 1/10 scale ARFs and kits) "
http://www.jethangar.com/Accessories/Accessories.htm
May 04, 2018, 08:56 PM
Certified Eagle and Bug Driver
Chris,
Thanks for the cockpit heads up. Put me down for one of the full kits and no rush on that. PM me when ready and I will send you the funds once I get your PayPal info.
Thanks, Jim
May 04, 2018, 11:27 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Send me a PM too and I'll order a full kit.

Vic
May 05, 2018, 03:29 AM
Official Boat Bum
Payment sent for the full cockpit kit, nozzles and vents! Thanks Chris for making your handywork available. Ordered the JHH pilot as well, just now.
May 05, 2018, 03:06 PM
I also want a complete set, accept my order ... pleeeeease ..
May 05, 2018, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
Pavel, there is a ~1 week backlog currently so I'll add you into the queue. No need to send any money yet. Also, check out post #4 to see if there is anything else that you might want printed and send me a PM with your decision.

I've updated the first post with the running queue and will keep it updated as orders get completed.
May 07, 2018, 10:20 AM

Scale" 100% FSA Thrust Tubes For80mm

How much for 2 (Scale" 100% FSA Thrust Tubes 80mm) ? Is it $20 for one or $20 for a pair (2)?
and How I go about purchasing a set of two? Do I need anything else to install them? Thank you
May 07, 2018, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trymotor727
How much for 2 (Scale" 100% FSA Thrust Tubes 80mm) ? Is it $20 for one or $20 for a pair (2)?
and How I go about purchasing a set of two? Do I need anything else to install them? Thank you
Hi DD, I would like to know the same thing. The description states "tubes" as in pleural/both. So $20 shipped for the pair??
Thx again for all you efforts!
May 07, 2018, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Trymotor and dsa,

The pricing above is based on anyone who orders the cockpit set and wants to bundle extra parts.

For just ordering the thrust tubes, it is $30 shipped CONUS to cover paypal fees, packaging, and shipping. I will need to fist catch up with the cockpit sets before I could get to the standalone thrust tube orders.

By all means, try to reach out to members in your RC clubs as someone might have a 3D printer, and direct them to the thingiverse link for the files. I'd gladly sell a set to you guys but don't have the bandwidth to get them to you in a short timeframe, so you might have to wait 2 weeks before I have capacity.

Quick Reply