Spad Driver
Thread OP
Build Log

Proctor 1/4 scale Fokker DVII electric

Coming over from "Scale Kit/Scratch Built thread
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2018, 02:49 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Now there's a design that is intent on replicating the way the full size was put together.
Wire cross bracing every bay?
If Proctor carry that through to the construction of every wing rib you're embarking on a mammoth task there Jim!

Robin
May 03, 2018, 02:26 PM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Robin, just like the original there are lots of little things and the Proctor kit really tries to hit as many as possible, including all those cable cross bracing tasks. It's what I wanted, though. More like building a small version of the original rather than another model. We'll see.

Jim
May 03, 2018, 02:42 PM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Moving along, I've added some more of the aluminum top fuselage formers and the mounts for the two guns. Later, the skin will be added to the top fuselage area ahead of the cockpit. Like the original the skin will be aluminum sheet, screwed to the formers, with an opening left for the Mercedes replica protruding above the level of the skin. With so much aluminum on the top, sides, and bottom of the nose section of the fuselage I'll be mounting the receiver and its antennas further aft to avoid any shielding by the aluminum sheets.

Jim
May 03, 2018, 02:53 PM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Forgot this one
May 03, 2018, 03:45 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Looks like you're going to be occupied for awhile there Jim.

J
May 06, 2018, 08:44 AM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Working on the tail feathers now. They are really big but built very fast. I needed to get these built at this stage so I could get the routing of the control cables determined. It's easier to this when I have easy access into the fuselage so I've been holding off on getting all the diagonal cable braces in for the fuselage until this was done. The cable brace rigging is a job in itself so I want to get it done.

Jim
May 06, 2018, 05:25 PM
You're making a nice tidy job of the tail Jim.

Interesting hinges - I haven't seen that method before. Another scale feature?
What stops the closed loop pulling the elevators forward to bind in the tailplane rear?

Robin
May 07, 2018, 11:29 PM
Bendflyer
The brass loops, actually Us, are bolted to the rear spar of the stab so that the U cannot move. The system is the same as that used on the full scale DVII, adjusted for the pracability of building it at 1/4 scale. The system works well, with no friction loss and the elevator will droop of their own weight until secured with the pull/pull cables later. Once the cables are installed they will pull the elevator round front spar forward into the cove of the stab TE where it nests. The cove area has been hardened and sanded smooth to virtually eliminate any friction here. Hard to explain, I'll get a picture later.

All further threads by me will be as Bendflyer instead of Parkcityskier

Jim
Last edited by Bendflyer; May 07, 2018 at 11:56 PM.
May 08, 2018, 02:22 AM
Interesting Jim - thanks for the explanation.
(And welcome to the forum in your new guise! - I assume you've given up skiing rather than moved house?)

Do you have to take the control surfaces off to cover them? And with what material?

Robin
May 08, 2018, 06:54 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Ok, probably going to take me 6 months to get used to the new screen name.

J
May 08, 2018, 08:37 AM
Onward and Upward.
...."...
Last edited by PilatusPC12; Jun 24, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
May 08, 2018, 08:41 AM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Still skiing and maybe it was a bad idea to change my screen name. Sorry, J. For the projects like the DO-24K, which will still have some more posts to be added as I move along to the maiden, and were started with the screen name of Parkcityskier it would probably be better to stay with that name. The DVII was a big new direction for me so I thought that I would establish a new name for that. Now, it's probably going to be really confusing!

As for the control surfaces, I will be taking the hinge pieces off to cover the surfaces. Having the hinges installed now was just to check the function of the setup and have all the appropriate holes drilled for the attachment bolts. Before I can cover the stab I also have to establish the routing of the control cables and for the upper cables they have to pass through the stab before they enter the fuselage and the cable guides could only be installed while the stab remained uncovered.

Jim
May 08, 2018, 08:45 AM
Spad Driver
Thread OP
Well, I thought that that was what I was going to do on the screen name but the last post came up with the Parkcityskier again. Maybe I'll just leave it at that. If this thread was started by Parkcityskier then it wants to stay that way.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Jim
Last edited by parkcityskier; May 08, 2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply