May 01, 2018, 10:34 PM

Latest Cam/Weather Station Status

The good news:
1. Solar/battery system is working great. We are sitting pretty at 13V most of the time.
2. New enclosures are water tight
3. Wifi and weather station are staying online, with no downtime in 2+ months.

The bad news:
1. Internet service has been down. The 3G cellular modem failed about a month ago for unknown reasons. This means no video, no weather, nothing!
2. I've ordered a new 3G modem that is military spec and supposed to be ultra reliable. I should have this tested next weekend and if things look solid, I'll deploy next Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for your patience. We're getting close guys!

Tristan
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2018, 09:04 AM
Weather station went back online last night (5/8/2018). If you lost it, here's the link:
https://www.wunderground.com/persona...?ID=KORCORNE19

New cellular modem seems pretty bomb-proof. It is a MilSpec unit that is supposed to be very durable.

Camera Status:
The main camera has a bad network interface. Seemingly due to water intrusion. I've ordered a replacement and will seal the housing and conformal coat the electronics within the camera itself. Should be back online Friday or Saturday.
May 12, 2018, 05:19 PM
All systems are online:

Weather Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/persona...?ID=KORCORNE19

Camera Link:
https://webcam.io/webcams/9Rmp1M
May 12, 2018, 11:58 PM
Tristan, you do good work. Thank you.
May 15, 2018, 12:10 PM
Awesome, thank you!
May 16, 2018, 01:44 PM

Wx Station Planned Upgrade

We are currently running a 20ah AGM battery. It has served us well for the last 12 months. However, equipment upgrades have resulted in increased power consumption. So...what happens is this:

Every day at about 3am or 4am (depending on how sunny the previous day was) the battery drops below 12v. This results in the camera going offline. Then when the battery hits 5v, the internet equipment and weather station equipment goes offline. The sun comes up and the system starts to charge and equipment comes back online at around 7 or 7:30am.

If we had a bit more battery capacity, we'd "survive the night"... So, this weekend I'm going to deploy a 50ah AGM deep cycle battery in a plastic housing. This will be connected to the 100w solar panel via our solar charge controller.

The system will be down this Saturday, 5/19. Let me know if you have questions or if you want to meet me at the field to help.

Cheers,

Tristan
Jul 04, 2018, 10:13 AM
So many planes, So little time

Fireworks on the cam tonight

North Plains fireworks show tonight, the field cam will pick up the show.
The fireworks are going to be set off above the Lakeview Farms pond.
Should be about middle of the cameras field of view.
So check it out tomorrow morning to see what the camera picks up tonight.
I'm thinking about doing some night flying tonight as well. "with the led assassin"
Jul 04, 2018, 10:19 AM
Can someone use a hell or quad to clean the cobwebs off of the camera lens? At night when the infrared kicks on, it is spider city. Might block our fireworks view.

Happy Fourth everyone!
Jul 04, 2018, 10:53 AM
So many planes, So little time

I'll clean it today

I have a brush on a pole to clean off the lens

Quick Reply