Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2004, 12:20 PM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline
Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Registered User
Mr.RC-CAM's Avatar

Another LiPO Fire Report. Very Sad.


I came across a new LiPO fire report today. A fellow left the house for a few minutes to pick up dinner, even though he was aware the R/C LiPO pack was on the charger (which did concern him). He returned to a third floor house fire. Lost everything in his office and hobby rooms! It is very sad. http://runryder.com/helicopter/t145397p1/

As careful as I am, I recently discovered that I can get distracted and forget about a charging LiPO. I recently jumped in the car and took off, only to realize the LiPO charger was in use. So I can see how this can happen to us mortals. In my case, I immediately turned around and shut things down.

Maybe I should stick one of those lost child alarms on the charger and carry the belt alert with me whenever the charger is in use. That way, if I get too far away from it, I will be yelled at!

RC-CAM
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2004, 12:32 PM
Usta Bee is offline
Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Closed Account
32 speaker surround sound system ?.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 12:54 PM
headless is offline
Find More Posts by headless
Does anyone hear a cat?
headless's Avatar
Jeeeesus.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:22 PM
bradpaul is offline
Find More Posts by bradpaul
Suspended Account
Man what a terrible loss..... But luckily nodody was injured.

I hope that he is able to recover the loss from his homeowners insurance. It will be interesting to see if his insurance company takes any issue with paying out 70K as the batteries were being charged un-attended.

Good reminder to everybody....

Brad
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:40 PM
tran1172 is offline
Find More Posts by tran1172
Registered User
I have a couple of LiPo packs and man, this reminds me to have a lot of respect for stored energy of any type whether it be batteries or that can of gasoline kept in the garage for the lawn mower.

Sounds like the guy had a LOT of nice stuff too.
Last edited by tran1172; Dec 07, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:50 PM
Dave Hederich is offline
Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Registered User
Two really key statements in this sad tale:

* I have charged those battery's many of times while my wife and kids and I were all sleeping or away at town.

* If I remain doing this hobby I am buying a fire proof safe that I will keep and charge all battery's.

As anyone who reads this forum knows, anyone who posts a message here about charging Li-polys unattended -- especially while sleeping or away from the home -- is going to get bombarded with safety advice. Part of that advice would be to never leave charging Li-polys unattended, and to always charge in a fire-resistant container, in the oven or anywhere that a secondary fire cannot be ignited.

The real tragedy here is that Michael Shetler apparently purchased Li-polys without a full understanding of their potential dangers, or he was aware of the risk and ignored it. I doubt that anyone participating in this forum doesn't know about these potential dangers. But I wonder how many think "it can't happen to me" and do not take all the safeguards that can prevent something like this?
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:04 PM
Hogster is offline
Find More Posts by Hogster
HeliAP'er!
Hogster's Avatar
Tragic story. As tran said, it sounds like he HAD a LOT of nice stuff.

I wonder what caused it to ignite ...... wrong cell-count setting? Wrong charge current? Charging a damaged battery? .... hmmmm.

Personally, I was surprised at how calm his response seemed to be .....
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:06 PM
bradpaul is offline
Find More Posts by bradpaul
Suspended Account
Dave, you are right on with your comments concerning those of us that read and post on ezone.....

But, I fear that there are many many RC flyers that might become complacent about Lipo charging over time as they do not either personally experience any problems or hear about any of the "venting with flame" incidents.

Or as my Daddy would say "You can fix ignorant, but you cant fix stupid".

Brad
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:17 PM
houfek is offline
Find More Posts by houfek
PittsLover
houfek's Avatar
The story is a tragic one......my sympathies to RC-CAM.

But in order for our education re lipo cells to continue, as Hogster said....

"I wonder what caused it to ignite ...... wrong cell-count setting? Wrong charge current? Charging a damaged battery? .... hmmmm."
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:21 PM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline
Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Registered User
Mr.RC-CAM's Avatar
Quote:
my sympathies to RC-CAM
It wasn't me that had the fire (thank goodness). I am just the messenger.

RC-CAM
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:28 PM
Jacques Flambeau is offline
Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Restful User
Jacques Flambeau's Avatar
Quote:
there are many many RC flyers that might become complacent about Lipo charging over time as they do not either personally experience any problems...
That is the problem. Even though we "know" about LiPo dangers, it is so easy to become complacent when you have hundreds of charges without incident. A discussion group like EZone is great for keeping the reminders of the danger fresh.

--Bill
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:41 PM
RC Toys USA is offline
Find More Posts by RC Toys USA
Registered User
only 2 possibilities of the ignition ( in my opinion )
the charger was that of an auto cell detect,,,, wrong detect????
The 3 cell pack very unbalanced??????
not sure what else could have been the reason
again just my opinion.

Very Tragic indeed. Glad no loss of life of any kind.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:42 PM
Cal is offline
Cal
Find More Posts by Cal
Cal
Registered User
Cal's Avatar
I wonder if the use of temp sensors hooked up to ones charger would eliminate many of these incidences......??
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:47 PM
rcjetpilot is offline
Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
Suspended Account
Sad story, but illustrates how a simple pyrex bowl with a cover, or battery bunker, or some fireproof box would have prevented the disaster (perhaps). All of which can be bought for a fraction of the cost of a LiPo pack.

An ounce of prevention....
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:01 PM
RC Toys USA is offline
Find More Posts by RC Toys USA
Registered User
Cal
from what I have seen the temp sensor would probably be to late, by the time the cells get warm and trigger the sensor to shut off the charger the voltages are alreay to high and they tend to just get hotter after that critical point. I have heard of packs catching fire up to 30 minutes later after charging and being removed from the charger. When the packs were removed from the charger they were not even warm to the touch, but flamed on anyways.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another LiPo fire....sorry no pics… ProudTexan Batteries and Chargers 8 Oct 30, 2005 01:25 PM
Another lipo+fire story :eek: mj147 Batteries and Chargers 0 Oct 09, 2005 09:15 PM
Another LIPO fire . gjestico Batteries and Chargers 10 May 11, 2005 12:33 PM
Another LiPo fire.. davensocal Batteries and Chargers 98 Apr 20, 2004 12:42 PM
Another Lipo Fire -- Etech cells Pat Daily Batteries and Chargers 39 Mar 15, 2004 08:41 PM