Apr 30, 2018, 12:10 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Contest

The May Big Sky, Anyone can enter, Informal Soaring Contest

THE MAY BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS, THERMAL SOARING, AND SLOPE SOARING -
RULES AND INFO:

Contest will run from 12:01 am May 1st to 11:59 PM May 31st Eastern US time. The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills. The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.

In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications; 2 Meter and under E Gliders, Open E Gliders, and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.

THE PLANES
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction

ELECTRIC GLIDER SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

HAND LAUNCH SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.

REPORT FORMAT
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
E Glider, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.

I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 3 flight durations from each Class. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new, better time will replace the previous one.

ALL-TIME CONTEST RECORDS

2 Meter and under E Glider Class
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open E Glider Class
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55°F, light variable winds

Hand Launch Class
xStatiCa (Adam)
Glider Binary IV DLG (1.5m)
May 14th, 2015
Time 5:48pm
Duration 75:49
New Port Richey, FL

Slope Class
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2018, 12:11 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
2 Meter and under E Glider Class

PunkerTFC
Topmodel Siesta 1.9M E-glider
Thermal
May 8th, 10 AM
32:54 after 24 seconds of motor run
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Max alt. 1170 ft. AGL

Jan
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Hai 1 Evo (flying wing) - 1500 mm
E Glider, Hand Launch or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 1st May 2018, 3 to 4 PM
Duration of flight: 26:26 after 6 seconds of motor

Curtis
2m Radian
E Glider, thermal
May 6th @ 3:55pm
17:25 min after 30sec motor
Tri-countybarnstomers

Open E Glider Class

PunkerTFC
Volantex ASW-28 2.6M E-glider
Thermal
May 12th, 12 PM
51:07 after 21 seconds of motor run
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Max alt 1525 AGL
Flew 10.8 km on a two turnpoint XC course

Hand Launch Class

Slope Class

Current thru #18
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; May 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM.
May 01, 2018, 05:07 AM
3RN13
Good Morning Curtis

Still not sure you have seen a vario in action, here is a short link of a DLG demonstrating a vario.

Frsky Vario DLG Demo (4 min 48 sec)

The use of a vario can be used to "teach" you how your glider reacts to lift...once you see how the glider reacts people usually shut the vario off and no longer need it, but if you have no one to bring you up to speed and get you thermalling it is a great tool.

An altimeter is great but if you don't get telemetry feedback it is just a tool to analyze how you did, not to help you improve your thermal gliding.

Sorry for the long winded story, just my take on a useful tool to get people used to reading the air and reading the glider's reaction to that air. I hope this is new info and I have not bored you with stuff you already knew.

Ernie
May 01, 2018, 01:18 PM
Your Name: Jan
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Hai 1 Evo (flying wing) - 1500 mm
E Glider, Hand Launch or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 1st May 2018, 3 to 4 PM
Duration of flight: 26:26 after 6 seconds of motor

Lovely day over here, it made it possible to practice low starts (30-40 m, 6-8 seconds of motor) directly to thermals, 3 of 5 flights were longer than 10 minutes (I like to get up there on air, rather than on the prop ).

During the last flight, after some 3 or 4 minutes I decided that the model is leaving my comfort zone, and then almost immediately lost it. It reappeared after some seconds, fortunately against the cloud background. However, the cloud was drifting downwind and there was a blue sky between the model and me. I hit the speed mode switch and tried to lose as much height still against the clouds. When I brought her down, with trembling hands, there was another bubble and then several more, I am not sure I enjoyed them .

Happy thermalling,
Jan
May 08, 2018, 02:56 PM
Old school newb
PunkerTFC
Topmodel Siesta 1.9M E-glider
Thermal
May 8th, 10 AM
32:54 after 24 seconds of motor run
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Max alt. 1170 ft. AGL
May 12, 2018, 01:10 PM
Old school newb
Got an entry for Open E-glider:
PunkerTFC
Thermal
May 12th, 12 PM
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Max alt 1525 AGL

Here's the catch though: I made this flight doing some FPV soaring. Are we allowing FPV?
May 12, 2018, 05:42 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
If you met the existing rules I see no issue with FPV. Nice flight too, sounds like fun.
May 12, 2018, 05:51 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Interesting soaring day last Sunday, all with the 2m Radian.

- I'm too lazy to check but I don't recall breaking the 10min mark in these contests.
- True to form and even though I initially caught some good lift, it fell apart and 1st flight was 9:40min. Problem is the Eagle Tree altimeter (the one that got wet a couple months back) showed 3,356' AGL and I knew that wasn’t right.
- A buddy loaned me his hand held GPS (about the weight of a 4s 1800mah batt) and I rigged it across the top of the wing saddle. With no expectation of the flight being contest worthy, I nailed WOT and she lumbered up for @20sec before throttle cut, not getting particularly high. Another motor hit totaling @ 40 sec and then she hit some thermals and up she went turning into a pretty good flight, for me. The Eagle Tree showed around 2000’ while the GPS read 900ish.
- Next flight was contest compliant with 13:16 min and the Rad slid to a stop against my foot . And the final flight of the day . . .

Curtis
2m Radian
E Glider, thermal
Tri-countybarnstomers

So I finally break 10 minutes but there’s a problem; during the final seconds of approach an odd gust forced her down across the runway, I panicked! My exaggerated stride is 3' long and it was 31 paces; I'm comfortable with that 7' cushion.
May 12, 2018, 07:26 PM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
Interesting soaring day last Sunday, all with the 2m Radian.

- I'm too lazy to check but I don't recall breaking the 10min mark in these contests.
- True to form and even though I initially caught some good lift, it fell apart and 1st flight was 9:40min. Problem is the Eagle Tree altimeter (the one that got wet a couple months back) showed 3,356' AGL and I knew that wasn’t right.
- A buddy loaned me his hand held GPS (about the weight of a 4s 1800mah batt) and I rigged it across the top of the wing saddle. With no expectation of the flight being contest worthy, I nailed WOT and she lumbered up for @20sec before throttle cut, not getting particularly high. Another motor hit totaling @ 40 sec and then she hit some thermals and up she went turning into a pretty good flight, for me. The Eagle Tree showed around 2000’ while the GPS read 900ish.
- Next flight was contest compliant with 13:16 min and the Rad slid to a stop against my foot . And the final flight of the day . . .

Curtis
2m Radian
E Glider, thermal
Tri-countybarnstomers

So I finally break 10 minutes but there’s a problem; during the final seconds of approach an odd gust forced her down across the runway, I panicked! My exaggerated stride is 3' long and it was 31 paces; I'm comfortable with that 7' cushion.
Yea, great job!

Ernie
May 12, 2018, 08:00 PM
Old school newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
If you met the existing rules I see no issue with FPV.
Great! Nice job on the flight with the GPS-strapped-to-the-wing handicap!
May 12, 2018, 08:11 PM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkerTFC
Got an entry for Open E-glider:
PunkerTFC
Thermal
May 12th, 12 PM
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Max alt 1525 AGL

Here's the catch though: I made this flight doing some FPV soaring. Are we allowing FPV?
PunkerTFC

I wonder if perhaps it should have it's own category since most people use FPV past normal line-of-site and people using FPV would be able to follow thermals much farther than normal.

Ernie
May 12, 2018, 08:36 PM
Old school newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b
PunkerTFC

I wonder if perhaps it should have it's own category since most people use FPV past normal line-of-site and people using FPV would be able to follow thermals much farther than normal.

Ernie
That makes sense to me, although to be honest there probably aren't enough people doing FPV soaring to warrant a whole new category. In the interest of keeping the playing field level it may be easier to just restrict the contest to LOS flying. There are advantages and disadvantages to FPV soaring over LOS, but I think in general it's a little easier to get high and stay high, which seems to be the winning recipe for long flights. If I want to play I'll just fly one of my non-FPV gliders; they are more competitive anyways.

Now that I'm getting the hang of FPV soaring I'm more interested in the XC side of things anyways, which is what I was doing when I logged that flight this afternoon. It's a whole new challenge to figure out how to get from point A to point B while finding enough lift in between! Even though the task was just a straight line between two turn points, I probably flew over every inch of that whole area (and then some) chasing lift and avoiding sink while flying between the two points. It's also given me a whole new appreciation for learning to fly upwind; nothing is more frustrating than getting a big climb on a windy day, then turning upwind when you exit the thermal just to end up at the same place and altitude that you started!
May 12, 2018, 08:42 PM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkerTFC
That makes sense to me, although to be honest there probably aren't enough people doing FPV soaring to warrant a whole new category. In the interest of keeping the playing field level it may be easier to just restrict the contest to LOS flying. There are advantages and disadvantages to FPV soaring over LOS, but I think in general it's a little easier to get high and stay high, which seems to be the winning recipe for long flights. If I want to play I'll just fly one of my non-FPV gliders; they are more competitive anyways.

Now that I'm getting the hang of FPV soaring I'm more interested in the XC side of things anyways, which is what I was doing when I logged that flight this afternoon. It's a whole new challenge to figure out how to get from point A to point B while finding enough lift in between! Even though the task was just a straight line between two turn points, I probably flew over every inch of that whole area (and then some) chasing lift and avoiding sink while flying between the two points. It's also given me a whole new appreciation for learning to fly upwind; nothing is more frustrating than getting a big climb on a windy day, then turning upwind when you exit the thermal just to end up at the same place and altitude that you started!
It does sound interesting, quite the challenge. As Curtis said you're not breaking any rules and the whole idea is to have fun.

Great job!

Ernie
May 12, 2018, 09:45 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Fair points made by both of you and unlike sooo many other RCG threads, it was discussed!

Since the point is fun, progressing and monthly bragging rights, I suggest FPV be allowed so long as the entrant comments they used it. If FPV becomes more commonly used AND the times are significantly different from other times in the same class, we can revisit the rules. Does that seem reasonable?

Edit: Hmmm, with FPV you can follow thermals beyond LOS which is an advantage but so is vario/telemetry over those who don't use it, are we micro managing the fun?
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; May 12, 2018 at 09:57 PM.
May 12, 2018, 10:00 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b
Yea, great job!

Ernie
Thanks Ernie. It was nice to finally break 10 min and then 15, all in one 1/2 hour time span.

Quick Reply