Thread Tools
Jun 06, 2019, 06:50 PM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro Bodine
Anyone know the speed of this hull with all the upgrades, I have wanted to throw a 6s in mine but don't think its gonna come out too well ,on 4s mine is lite as a feather when running and the slightest headwind blows it off the water at 47mph, if and when I decide to do 6s I will put the x440 on her but the thought scares me because I don't want to destroy something I have so much time building.
Wait and see Jeffro, he told me the 6s video is coming soon.
Then again this Vid by Ronaldo with the Hemi Super Bee looks pretty composed on 6s.
Vector 70 RC boat. 6s H500 motor 90amp esc (1 min 38 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2019, 09:33 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Jeffro Bodine's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDan
Wait and see Jeffro, he told me the 6s video is coming soon.
Then again this Vid by Ronaldo with the Hemi Super Bee looks pretty composed on 6s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJS_...59843127136376
We will see I suppose, I myself like oval racing compared to strait line pass but to each their own, for me I like running the ragged edge in the straits and then making a 180 turn without having to let out of the throttle and that video has none of that that I see just wot then all the way out of the power to make turns.
Jun 07, 2019, 07:20 AM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro Bodine
We will see I suppose, I myself like oval racing compared to strait line pass but to each their own, for me I like running the ragged edge in the straits and then making a 180 turn without having to let out of the throttle and that video has none of that that I see just wot then all the way out of the power to make turns.
Totally agree.
I probably have an Volantex Atomic in my future for straight line speed experiments.
Yet another $100 toy I can have fun with.
Jun 09, 2019, 07:41 PM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar

Volantex Vector 70 1st run (stock)


This weekend I took the boat out twice to see how it is completely stock. I was disappointed it came with the Black early version motor.
In spite of it's rather small 3430 size. It was much better than I expected on 3s. On 4s I'm extremely surprised and happy.
Understand the last boat I had was for a short time in 1987 . "Miss Budweiser" I forget the brand but I remember the technology was prehistoric.
I did swap the stock 40a esc for a Turnigy 70a ESC , a Carbon/glass, Graupner K Series 40mm prop, and an OSE 4mm to 3/16" Prop adapter for no reason other than I had it. I've read good things about it and it's $6. I can't comment on it not having run the original prop yet. I did manage to chip it when i accidentally ran over a log.
Wow driving a boat has a steep learning curve and a fun one at that. Finding it's limit and trying to stay there is harder than I thought and definitely harder than it looks.
The Turnigy Typhoon 500H Heli Motor and 5mm connector comes tomorrow.
Maybe I'll save it for the Atomic when it comes and put it's motor in the Vector 70 ?
Jun 09, 2019, 08:29 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Jeffro Bodine's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDan
This weekend I took the boat out twice to see how it is completely stock. I was disappointed it came with the Black early version motor.
In spite of it's rather small 3430 size. It was much better than I expected on 3s. On 4s I'm extremely surprised and happy.
Understand the last boat I had was for a short time in 1987 . "Miss Budweiser" I forget the brand but I remember the technology was prehistoric.
I did swap the stock 40a esc for a Turnigy 70a ESC , a Carbon/glass, Graupner K Series 40mm prop, and an OSE 4mm to 3/16" Prop adapter for no reason other than I had it. I've read good things about it and it's $6. I can't comment on it not having run the original prop yet. I did manage to chip it when i accidentally ran over a log.
Wow driving a boat has a steep learning curve and a fun one at that. Finding it's limit and trying to stay there is harder than I thought and definitely harder than it looks.
The Turnigy Typhoon 500H Heli Motor and 5mm connector comes tomorrow.
Maybe I'll save it for the Atomic when it comes and put it's motor in the Vector 70 ?
You didn't post the speed ,when mine showed up a year or so ago I ran mine too to see what it had on 3s and it sucked 23mph it what the GPS said but I already had intended to mod it up that's why I bought it in the first place so keep it up NEDan and you will get it faster .
Jun 10, 2019, 03:17 PM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro Bodine
You didn't post the speed ,when mine showed up a year or so ago I ran mine too to see what it had on 3s and it sucked 23mph it what the GPS said but I already had intended to mod it up that's why I bought it in the first place so keep it up NEDan and you will get it faster .
Yea sorry no gps ...yet. But according to OSE's Speed calculator, an 1800kv motor in a deep v with a 40mm 1.4 pitch prop on 4s It indicates I should have been going an estimated 33 mph. It felt like all of that. I also forgot to film it. Maybe next time out if I figure out how to. I've since changed my mind and will be installing the Turnigy motor then play with some 42-45 props. Jeffro I will get it faster.
Jun 20, 2019, 04:37 PM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Ok just so you guys know. The OSE 5mm to 3.18mm (.125") Coupler's measured ID is 2.9mm closed completely so I feel safe using it for a 3mm flex shaft. I did tin the shafts end so it is now a solid piece (at the coupler end) and not a shaft within a shaft as mentioned. I know that all collet style couplers are not the same but this particular three slot or prong coupler closes down to less than 3mm when tightened.
Letting people with 3mm shafts searching for an unobtainable 5mm to 3mm coupler know this one seems to work.
The Turnigy 3750 Typhoon matted up perfectly and although noticeable, not to much faster top speed wise she sure pops out of the water and feels like it gets to top speed sooner. Motor and esc was cool to the touch running the 40mm prop.
A bigger prop might be my next step.
Jun 20, 2019, 05:46 PM
Registered User
The problem you find when closing down the 3.18mm collet to 2.9mm is it closes down at the outer end but not all the way along the spit fingers of the collet. you can check this by closing the collet down to 2.9mm & then insert the 3mm flex into the other end ( through the 5mm motor shaft side of the coulping) . You will then see that the fingers havnt closed down the length of the split fingers to grip the flex, they only close down towards the outer end of the collet. This is why after a while the flex can start slipping in the collet as it is only being clamped in the fingers over a shortened distance to what it should be. The fingers dont close down parallel onto the flex but with a taper because the collet nut is being over tightened to get it to close down from 3.18mm to 2.9mm.
Last edited by martinh50; Jun 20, 2019 at 05:58 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 05:45 PM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
The problem you find when closing down the 3.18mm collet to 2.9mm is it closes down at the outer end but not all the way along the spit fingers of the collet. you can check this by closing the collet down to 2.9mm & then insert the 3mm flex into the other end ( through the 5mm motor shaft side of the coulping) . You will then see that the fingers havnt closed down the length of the split fingers to grip the flex, they only close down towards the outer end of the collet. This is why after a while the flex can start slipping in the collet as it is only being clamped in the fingers over a shortened distance to what it should be. The fingers dont close down parallel onto the flex but with a taper because the collet nut is being over tightened to get it to close down from 3.18mm to 2.9mm.
Yes I do understand what you're saying and this does concern me.
Hopefully my tinning the last 1/2" of the flex shaft with solder making it inflexible will help at least till the 3.18 shaft comes.
My Flex actually measured 3.08mm.
Jun 23, 2019, 07:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDan
Yes I do understand what you're saying and this does concern me.
Hopefully my tinning the last 1/2" of the flex shaft with solder making it inflexible will help at least till the 3.18 shaft comes.
My Flex actually measured 3.08mm.
Yes you may get away with that ok, my flex only measured something like 2.96mm from memory so undersized to start with.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:35 AM
Florida_R/C_Guy
I'll have to look at my browser history but I have Vector 70 and I was saw online there's a kit you can buy to help the flex shaft from expanding it looks to me like it sits around the flex shaft and then crimps down with a Allen it's like a collar if I sign any info I'll repost it.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla_RC_Guy
I'll have to look at my browser history but I have Vector 70 and I was saw online there's a kit you can buy to help the flex shaft from expanding it looks to me like it sits around the flex shaft and then crimps down with a Allen it's like a collar if I sign any info I'll repost it.
Sounds like a grub screw type coupling which are not good on flexes & is one of the first upgrades most make to boats that come with this type of coupling. You could also be talking about an entirely different coupling though, you could also be talking about shaft saver that stops the shaft coming out of the boat if the coupling comes loose on the flex. This is a simple spit collar with a grub screw that tightens the collar down onto the flex just to the transom side of the coupling.
Last edited by martinh50; Jun 25, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
Jun 29, 2019, 10:59 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Jeffro Bodine's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDan
She's coming along nicely. I like this boat.
I see you added a 3mm 6mm flange bearing in the stuffing tube in the 3rd pic. , bad idea imo a flex cable is not designed to run in a bearing , when you spool up the motor the first time the vibration is going to shake the bearing out of the stuffing tube and then be spinning around the flex between the motor coupling and tube and most likely destroy the flex or worse , just my 2 cents worth , do you still have the teflon liner in the stuffing tube if not when the bearing pops out the sharp edge of the metal stuffing tube will destroy the flex cable.
Last edited by Jeffro Bodine; Jun 30, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Jun 30, 2019, 05:30 AM
Registered User
NEDan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro Bodine
I see you added a 3mm 6mm flange bearing in the stuffing tube in the 3rd pic. , bad idea imo a flex cable is not designed to run in a bearing , when you spool up the motor the first time the vibration is going to shake the bearing out of the stuffing tube and then be spinning around the flex between the motor coupling and tube and most likely destroy the flex or worse , just my 2 cents worth , do you still have the teflon liner in the stuffing tube if not when the bearing pops out the sharp edge of the metal stuffing tube will destroy the flex cable.
Good catch Jeffro, That bearing was 1 of 2 I had lying around and just a test fit , after some thought I removed it because I couldn't imagine how it would help the other one, a (4x7f), in the strut stayed. I never removed the liner and it never ran with that bearing. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciated.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Volantex vector 70 battery ? Darren2264 Racing Boats - Electric 5 Aug 11, 2018 03:57 PM
Discussion Vector 28 by Volantex ParadoxNZ Micro and Sub-Micro Boats 10 Aug 06, 2017 12:27 PM
Help! Volantex Vector 28 Binding Problems MCSULY Dock Talk 7 Feb 03, 2016 04:30 PM
Help! Volantex Vector 40 problems andywiz Racing Boats - Electric 8 Dec 09, 2015 08:39 AM