Jun 06, 2018, 05:57 PM
This thing looks too fun! I had to preorder one . . . I hope it's as good as it sounds!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2018, 06:53 PM
Wow, I was half-expecting the new release to be a successor to the Swing or something.

Instead...

Well, Helder's video makes me want to sell both my Mavic Pro and Bebop 2 and get one of these.

Not having to hack this thing like I did with my Mavic would be awesome. (I've been stuck on year-old firmware on my MP as a result.)

So assuming Parrot has kept NFZ logic out of the equation, maintained the amazing repairability/spare-parts availability of its predecessor, and assuming that the video quality fares well under scrutiny (which was the only major failing of the Bebop 2 IMO): this could be a really solid all-rounder.

Anyone have a link to uncompressed video from it?
Jun 07, 2018, 02:10 AM
That looks very interesting and probably quite soon available in the EU, contrary to the Evo.
Jun 07, 2018, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter View Post
That looks very interesting and probably quite soon available in the EU, contrary to the Evo.
yes, there is no information that the evo will be sold in europe.
will be interesting to see what happens with the bebob 2 pricewise ...
Jun 07, 2018, 02:38 AM
From what I've learnt, there seems Mode 1 is not available for all those Parrot Drones. I assume it will remain the same as for Anafi ???
Jun 07, 2018, 04:52 AM
That big 'blob' on the phone-holder probably contains some antennas.
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Jun 07, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Jun 07, 2018, 08:25 AM
Kinda preview review write up:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/parrot-anafi

They keep going on about the badly performing obscacle avoidance, but I didn't realize the Anafi is supposed to have OA, or are they trying to be 'funny'?
Jun 07, 2018, 09:29 AM
There’s nothing to guarantee the people doing a review bother to read instructions or feature descriptions. Thinking about that, many that buy products for personal use don’t either
Jun 07, 2018, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I prefer no obstacle avoidance. OA adds weight, reduces battery life and limits the performance of the drone. Situational awareness is the best way to fly IMO.

I understand some prefer the saftey of OA but it is not reliable in all situations.

I'm glad the went with VPS for better loiter positioning and maybe terrain following.
Jun 07, 2018, 10:45 AM
This guy was at the launch:

Parrot Anafi Hands-on First Impressions (11 min 4 sec)

But I'm exhausted now after listening to him
Jun 07, 2018, 11:56 AM
This seems to be an intriguing drone. I have a bebop 2 and a dji spark. I love flying both, but I really like the freeflight pro app over the go 4 app. I think the spark will be up for sale to save some dollars for the Anafi!
Jun 07, 2018, 12:03 PM
Critic at Large
Parrot has always gone 3/4 of the way "there". But one would think by now they have learned that lesson - 7+ years in the consumer drone business.

Copying a successful type of design is a good start - hard to reinvent the wheel. The questions remain - this is their first brushless mechanical gimbal that I am aware of...is it possibly to get it right the first time? Maybe...especially if some of the basics are already done through open source or semi-open consortiums.

We will find out soon enough. We know Parrot has the battery life thing down pat and knows a lot about lightweight construction of aircraft. I think it comes down to who the particular engineers and project managers were and whether their standards are high enough. Their manufacturing partners matter a lot also.

We've come to take these complex systems somewhat for granted, but these are more than the sum of their parts. It all has to dance together.

I look forward to some of you "tough customers" putting this through its paces.
( I'm thinking of hanging up my Drone Reviewing Cap - been 5 years and quite exciting, but every good thing must come to an end)
Last edited by craigiri; Jun 07, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Jun 07, 2018, 01:08 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Something just spotted I did not see until that video, could those rear legs fold in in forward flight ?
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here
Jun 07, 2018, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1 View Post
Something just spotted I did not see until that video, could those rear legs fold in in forward flight ?
But how much different is that than the Mavic front arms folding back?

I guess it comes down to the mechanical latching design.

I will say I appreciate the arm clip locks on my Halo they have a secure feeling.
Jun 07, 2018, 02:01 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
But how much different is that than the Mavic front arms folding back?

I guess it comes down to the mechanical latching design.

I will say I appreciate the arm clip locks on my Halo they have a secure feeling.

Yea it just looked a small throw hopefully it locks it just looked a short flip out and it caught my eye.

As you say others have not had issues so it’s likely nothing.
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here

Quick Reply