Apr 29, 2018, 02:07 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Parrot's New Drone Anafi

https://www.parrot.com/us/itscoming

I can't speak for the rest of you but it seems like there are few current offerings that are worthy. I got excited about the GDU O2 back in October but by January lost interest. The Autel EVO looks promising but the wait is disappointing. Then when these things are released they don't seem to perform any better than 2 year old DJI drones, if even that good.

There are a few bright spots like the Halo(for me) and Skydio but they are niche products. I feel the Typhoon H is underrated, I'll probably get the H Plus.

I've owned a few Parrot products and the quality and performance were excellent. I loved my Bebop 2 the app was good no nagware, but the IQ sucked. If the Bebop had Mavics camera and onboard SD card it would be perfect for me.

So the question is what's Parrot up to? Another useless wait? Parrot has the quality and technology but will they perform? Can any company compete with DJI at this point or do we all get Mavic 2's?. Personally I seek non DJI products to get away from the nagware and poor autonomous modes; I own more DJI hardware than any other.

So the H Plus is in my future but I hope Parrot steps up with a true prosumer drone with a real gimbal and 4k. Flight time, reliability, app.... are already there IMO, they need to look at what the market demands. Being French and creative could be interesting, I envision a flying Citreon DS.
Last edited by VEGASROBBI; Jun 06, 2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Add to title
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2018, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI

So the question is what's Parrot up to? Another useless wait? Parrot has the quality and technology but will they perform? Can any company compete with DJI at this point or do we all get Mavic 2's?. Personally I seek non DJI products to get away from the nagware and poor autonomous modes; I own more DJI hardware than any other.

So the H Plus is in my future but I hope Parrot steps up with a true prosumer drone with a real gimbal and 4k. Flight time, reliability, app.... are already there IMO, they need to look at what the market demands. Being French and creative could be interesting, I envision a flying Citreon DS.
Interested to see what they are planning , have you thought about trying the Skydio R1 as I noticed you have done a lot of experimenting with several drones in following mode , looks like the Skydio R1 was made just for your type of work ?
Apr 30, 2018, 10:51 AM
Critic at Large
Parrot has such a poor history.....of unfinished products.
Consider that they had most of the advanced tech that we now take for granted in 2010...and did nothing with it except create disappointment.

They didn't learn their lesson in 3 years...or in 6 years. But maybe now they have learned it...the Swing and the BB#2 FPV are headed in the right direction (that is, at least they work!)....

The lack of a gimbal was interesting and will probably be the future of many drones - but camera technology has been very slow to evolve. I've been looking at consumer cameras and my 2012 RX-100 is still being sold...even the upgraded models are only slightly different.

Mobile phone cameras are driving the tech and perhaps they will solve the EIS issue fully...eventually.

Until then it would seem hard to compete with DJI in the arena of mechanical gimbals - heck, look at what you get in that cheap Osmo! Amazing for the price.

Who knows - at this point, DJI may license or sell gimbal assemblies to Parrot and then Parrot can concentrate on their other stuff. It's not out of the question because DJI sales are probably not growing as quickly as before and they provided parts to AirDog (and perhaps others).
Apr 30, 2018, 12:09 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I agree Craig it seems Parrot has all the ingredients but can't make a cake.

I'm confident I will end up with a Skydio. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the R1 but as usual with me as soon as I do there will be an R2. I see the R1 as proof of concept with it's high price and average gimbal and I'm hoping the next generation will be more functional at a lower cost.
May 27, 2018, 01:09 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
10 days...
Jun 03, 2018, 09:12 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
2 days...

Wish list:
4k 100mbs
3 axis gimbal
No Geo
No or selectable OA/VPS
4 km range

Concerned Parrot being unconventional may release something oddball or a foam toy
Jun 06, 2018, 10:32 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
It's here.
http://anafi.parrot.com/us
Jun 06, 2018, 11:00 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
I may have to watch this one a little closer........ Liking the 180 gimbal tilt range

Priced at $699 it is going to take a chunk out of the Autel Evo, and I am predicting a price cut on Mavics.....
Last edited by Rusty105; Jun 06, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Jun 06, 2018, 11:35 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
I may have to watch this one a little closer........ Liking the 180 gimbal tilt range

Priced at $699 it is going to take a chunk out of the Autel Evo, and I am predicting a price cut on Mavics.....
Perhaps, but you can get a refurb Mavic at $650, which is essentially new with a full warranty, but like you said the gimbal tilt is new and different. Could make some interesting shots for different applications.
Jun 06, 2018, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
4K 100 Mbps check
3 axis(hybrid?) gimbal check
No GEO it appears
VPS not sure on OA
4 km range
Dual band antennas
Simple controller and app(appears)
If the Bebop 2 is any example Parrot has one of the best Follow functions I have used which includes dynamic altitude.
64 GB SD class 11

Quick look.

Good:
Ultra quiet?
25 minute flight time?
Winds to 31 mph?
Fly in high temps?
Quick charge batteries?
Dual GPS - big deal
Smart RTH
Looks like on board SD card unlike Bebop 2
2.8X lossless zoom 1.4x at 4K 3X standard
180 degree tilt
Very compact
Carbon fiber frame sort of..

Bad:
Less flight time than Bebop 2 Power
3 axis hybrid gimbal? Possible 2 axis gimbal with yaw IS? May be a deal breaker.
Typical French engineering looking at the props. I'm part French so..
Possible limited device selection. With my Bebop 2 I could not use an iPad and had to buy a S6 for proper Follow function with dynamic altitude.
Not available until July
Last edited by VEGASROBBI; Jun 06, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Jun 06, 2018, 01:02 PM
Still, this looks really good on paper, and, in the video they have on twitter of it flying at the release in the conference room, it was pretty quiet.
Not sure I'm a fan of each blade of the prop being individually replaceable, but that's definitely not a deal breaker.
The biggest thing this release does is make me have to decide between EVO and ANAFI.
Not sure I could justify getting both.
Jun 06, 2018, 01:09 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Interesting the HDR video id love to see that

Evo have a problem indeed now, I wonder what we will see first, price point wise they just stole their market.
Jun 06, 2018, 01:53 PM
the evo won't be available in europe any time soon.
the new parrot drone looks like my next cam copter.
Jun 06, 2018, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Interesting the HDR video id love to see that
Me too. I must say I'm disappointed they did not go with a 3 axis mechanical gimbal, maybe because the 180 tilt feature.

That 4K may be 2.7K after EIS. My Bepop 2's IQ was decent at slow speed or loiter but if you got going fast it had bad EIS blur.

The straight up shot is new and great if your a bridge inspector.
Jun 06, 2018, 05:56 PM
IT'S COMING PARROT ANAFI 4K DRONE IT'S HERE (17 min 33 sec)

Count me in. Good to see Helderhugo given an early version.

Quick Reply