Mar 22, 2019, 01:57 PM
Embargo lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
The A800 is really the best plane around right now for people starting out. You always expect a glider to be really docile but its agile enough to be flown in proximity and its perfect for flying in FPV.
IMHO the WLTOYS F949 is

-Cheaper
-more durable
-3 ch easier to fly

IF you are talking 4 channel then yes most probably.

of course this is JM2CW....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2019, 06:14 PM
Quote:
The A800 is really the best plane around right now for people starting out. You always expect a glider to be really docile but its agile enough to be flown in proximity and its perfect for flying in FPV.

There are quite a few models under $100 to chose from ..
And they appear to fly reasonably well .
Which is best ?
Mar 22, 2019, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
I think I still prefer my 3CH XK A700 (aka WLtoys F959)
Mar 22, 2019, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
There are quite a few models under $100 to chose from ..
And they appear to fly reasonably well .
Which is best ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
I think I still prefer my 3CH XK A700 (aka WLtoys F959)
We have several types in this range coming in the near future. As our flying skills/experience with planes range from crash once per session to crash every flight we'll soon be experts on the subject!
At least the large white form factor will be more findable in the scrub. Got a few quads in there now.
No XK A800 on order yet though - high speed nose-in on that drive unit looks terminal for us old farts!
Mar 23, 2019, 06:51 AM
I am very new to this hobby and wanted a RTF setup to get me going, I considered the F949 as my first model but I was put off with the size tbh, the F959 was my next choice and I almost purchased one until I watched a video review of the A800 and found that for just a little more money you get the 'Six Axis Gyro Stabilisation' (6G) mode and full 4ch control which allows you to switch the 6G off and do a few rolls and loops once you have more skill, confidence and practice ect.

With the 6G on you can still control this model like a 3ch plane but the rudder is on the left stick instead of the right. I do much prefer to control the plane with the 'bank and yank' technique for turns but I tend to just use a little rudder for direction when gliding to keep the plane more level.
I would think in 6G mode the model would be pretty hard to stuff nose first unless there was a fault, the dihedral wing and 6G combination has corrected any pilot mistake I have made so far and when I did try some loops in 3D mode and got a little out of shape I just pressed the 6G and let go of the right stick and the A800 just levelled out right away.
Mar 24, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie
IMHO the WLTOYS F949 is

-Cheaper
-more durable
-3 ch easier to fly

IF you are talking 4 channel then yes most probably.

of course this is JM2CW....

Nah, I can't go along with that. I can only agree for a person who has never flown RC aircraft and can't think/act in 4-channel mode. Then the WL Toys F949 is a treat of a plane with long flight times, good automatic stabilization (by aerodynamics, not by electronics), and durable as heck. I've crashed mine REPEATEDLY into ALMOST EVERYTHING... the asphalt, the side of shed, a soccer goal frame, trees, parking lot light poles, and more...and I still have yet to repair anything on it. EXCELLENT for a beginner who's going to crash, crash, crash and just can't even dabble yet in 4-channel mode.

But, if a person has any sense of 4-channel flying at all, the A800 flies better. The electronic stabilization (coupled with excellent aerodynamic stabilization) works better than on the F949, and nothing beats 4-channel control. IMO 3-channel flying just teaches people bad behavior while it tries to offer people a cheaper and simpler plane.
Mar 24, 2019, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
As far as I know, the F949 doesn't have any stabilisation
Mar 25, 2019, 06:06 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Think he means stabilisation by means of dihedral
Mar 26, 2019, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
Think he means stabilisation by means of dihedral
You're right
Mar 29, 2019, 07:17 AM
I bought a F949 last year before the A800 came out and it was just OK. The 3 motor setup wound up being an issue because the gear fell off one and made it underpowered.

The A800 is way better and leaves room for a learning pilot to grow with it. This thing you can toss up anywhere and enjoy it.
Apr 04, 2019, 11:10 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
I bought a F949 last year before the A800 came out and it was just OK. The 3 motor setup wound up being an issue because the gear fell off one and made it underpowered.

The A800 is way better and leaves room for a learning pilot to grow with it. This thing you can toss up anywhere and enjoy it.
+1

just needs figuring out for OpenTX/Deviation.
Apr 04, 2019, 12:15 PM
Quote:
+1

Deviation works on the XK products. Just use the futaba protocol. I use the T8SG remote to fly both the XK A430 and A600. Should work the same on the A800 I presume.

XK-DHC2 A600 RC Plane FPV with Wolfwhoop Q2 (5 min 20 sec)
Apr 04, 2019, 02:15 PM
Quote:
+1

Is there any way of getting the Flysky FS-i6X to pair with the A800?
Apr 04, 2019, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDazNinja
Is there any way of getting the Flysky FS-i6X to pair with the A800?
No. It uses a different protocol. But it can be used with the F949/959 mentioned a few posts back.
Apr 04, 2019, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbioman
No. It uses a different protocol. But it can be used with the F949/959 mentioned a few posts back.
What about with the iRangeX iRX6 multi protocol module plugged into it? I know it does a load of quads and a few helis.

Quick Reply