Feb 06, 2020, 10:37 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Just waiting on a new 1S esc, the test 8A Racerstar works perfectly from the servo port but it has started to arm intermittently. I think it's timing related as when it doesn't arm it gives the programming beeps as though the throttle is high/above 50%. PWM signal seems perfectly fine so it's not the P-51's board.
As usual, when you want something the slow boat from China is expectedly slow.
Apologies for the blur on the scope
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2020, 12:00 PM
Very cool stuff!!!

So does the guts of the mustang go into the A800, or just a brushless conversion? (ScouseThief)...

Like wise I'm waiting, waiting, waiting...
Feb 06, 2020, 04:54 PM
Hi
Today I got mine.
Where is the right CG. I have couple of 450mah batteries. Original battery is 15g, 450mah - 27g.
I found at lest two versions there:
1. In the middle between spar and servo wires,
2. 30 mm from leading edge at the root.
No version in manual

.... and also hopefully waiting for news regarding brushless mod for this one and tiny P-51D
Feb 10, 2020, 02:29 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Flyer
Very cool stuff!!!

So does the guts of the mustang go into the A800, or just a brushless conversion? (ScouseThief)...

Like wise I'm waiting, waiting, waiting...
Just a simple brushless conversion ( but only using a 'standard' brushless esc and motor ) mainly this is because there are lots of similar sized 'chuck gliders' ( some only $2-3 ) that i would like "electrified" for the beach or the smaller field thats closer to me and i dont want to be churning out the $30=/- when it hits the tree enough times lol. I would have used the A800 board as it does a pretty good stabilizing the glider but its 2S and really i wants 1S. I'm hampered atm because the kidneys are doing their best to put me in that long cigar box lol and they cause my hands to shake so small soldering is for the time being 'put to one side.'
Feb 10, 2020, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
Just a simple brushless conversion ( but only using a 'standard' brushless esc and motor ) mainly this is because there are lots of similar sized 'chuck gliders' ( some only $2-3 ) that i would like "electrified" for the beach or the smaller field thats closer to me and i dont want to be churning out the $30=/- when it hits the tree enough times lol. I would have used the A800 board as it does a pretty good stabilizing the glider but its 2S and really i wants 1S. I'm hampered atm because the kidneys are doing their best to put me in that long cigar box lol and they cause my hands to shake so small soldering is for the time being 'put to one side.'
Extremely sorry to hear that. Best of luck, mate!
Feb 11, 2020, 02:38 PM
Regexistentialist

Hint: Remove the protective film from canopy

FYI - The black canopy on the XK A800 has a thin protective film that, once removed, reveals an even shinier, more scratch-resistant finish.
Feb 11, 2020, 05:16 PM
Quote:
You have my sympathies Scouse, Kidney issues can be a "Baptism of Pain"...

I've got a good grounding in electronics, but little practical experience with the RC end of things... With regard to the A800 specifically, presumably it uses a PWM signal to vary the motor speed...

And that signal switches a mosfet to the Motor load... Just before my 1st A800 went AWOL in the fog, I was gathering some heavier MosFets to drive either a heavier brushed motor, or a pair of N60's...

I do have a couple of A800 FC Brds in transit (somewhere between China and Canada)... Once they get here, the first thing to determine would be if they are N or P channel fets on the stock FC, and that will determine if I need to invert the signal to an IRF640 or IRF520 P Channel Fet...

I've accumulated a small stack of 132 size brushed motors used in the Syma X8 quads and wanted to try them as well (purely as an experiment),,,

The above aside, as to a Brushless conversion, are you simply intercepting the "Logic Level" signal that drivers the FET onboard the FC and sending that to the ESC? along with VCC and a ground connection? Could it really be that simple???

Oh by he way very cool little digital scope in your previous post... I so want to get one that is so portable, but my 1970's era scope refuses to die
Feb 21, 2020, 02:08 AM
slope soarer

A800 CG, calibration of Gyro

The CG is stated (on page 8 of the manual) as ""aircraft gravity centre should be located in the range from 55 mm-65 mm from the wings". If this means 60mm from the wing leading edge, it is clearly incorrect. 30 mm seems a better location, but I would appreciate advice on this.

I purchased my A800 as Mode 2, thinking I will fly it using a irange module in my Taranis, as I am an experienced mode 1 pilot. From the point of view of flyers, attempting to fly with the wrong mode can be a bad idea. There was no mode 1 version available at purchase, yet the manual on p6 states there is a Mode 1 "Asian Edition" of the Tx. Can this Tx be purchased/bind to a type 2 plane?

My glider appears to have a working gyro most of the time, but sometimes the elevator setting looks wrong, as though there is excessive down trim. I plan to rock the elevator back and forth with pushrod disconnected several 100 times to reduce the resistance, as I think it is a bit stiff. I clearly need to calibrate my gyro, as recommended on page 8:
1. "Turn the remote control to power the aircraft, the aircraft will be placed on a flat floor or table".
2. "At this time the red light of the aircraft signal light flashes rapidly. After the red light of the traffic light is on, the calibration of the gyroscope is completed."
The questions that arise are: does this mean turn on the Tx, check the throttle is closed, then turn on the receiver board power? If so, then in my plane no red light is visible. The manual does not describe or provide a diagram to explain "aircraft signal light". Would removing the wings make the aircraft signal light more visible? I would appreciate advice on this also.

Two nice features: When 3G mode is selected, the Tx has a flashing blue power indicator light, and a steady blue light in 6G (not a red light as stated in the manual p9). The Tx screen (a high resolution screen) indicates whether high or low rates are selected. Like earlier posts, I would like to be able to turn stabilisation off.
Feb 21, 2020, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggold
The CG is stated (on page 8 of the manual) as ""aircraft gravity centre should be located in the range from 55 mm-65 mm from the wings". If this means 60mm from the wing leading edge, it is clearly incorrect. 30 mm seems a better location, but I would appreciate advice on this.

I purchased my A800 as Mode 2, thinking I will fly it using a irange module in my Taranis, as I am an experienced mode 1 pilot. From the point of view of flyers, attempting to fly with the wrong mode can be a bad idea. There was no mode 1 version available at purchase, yet the manual on p6 states there is a Mode 1 "Asian Edition" of the Tx. Can this Tx be purchased/bind to a type 2 plane?

My glider appears to have a working gyro most of the time, but sometimes the elevator setting looks wrong, as though there is excessive down trim. I plan to rock the elevator back and forth with pushrod disconnected several 100 times to reduce the resistance, as I think it is a bit stiff. I clearly need to calibrate my gyro, as recommended on page 8:
1. "Turn the remote control to power the aircraft, the aircraft will be placed on a flat floor or table".
2. "At this time the red light of the aircraft signal light flashes rapidly. After the red light of the traffic light is on, the calibration of the gyroscope is completed."
The questions that arise are: does this mean turn on the Tx, check the throttle is closed, then turn on the receiver board power? If so, then in my plane no red light is visible. The manual does not describe or provide a diagram to explain "aircraft signal light". Would removing the wings make the aircraft signal light more visible? I would appreciate advice on this also.

Two nice features: When 3G mode is selected, the Tx has a flashing blue power indicator light, and a steady blue light in 6G (not a red light as stated in the manual p9). The Tx screen (a high resolution screen) indicates whether high or low rates are selected. Like earlier posts, I would like to be able to turn stabilisation off.
Only seen it in mode 2 Tx. Use your multi mode Tx on KN protocol for mode 1 operation. No full manual (stabilization off) operation - only self leveling (6G) or 3D (rates mode.)
Start-up is plug in aircraft & sit it level (flashing red led on flight board just visible through battery compartment) - then turn on Tx (throttle fully down). It will flash blue, beep & go solid. Bound and gyros have been calibrated. Red flight board led will be solid also.
The Tx led will also flash (different rate) if the Tx batteries are low.
Breaking in the control surface hinges is a good idea.
Re the COG - yair 30 to 35 from the leading edge ( = 60 odd from the rear!)
Welcome to the world of Chinglish Sloppy and Paste manuals. The only one in the company who "Speaka da good Eengleesh" is the bosses black haired bimbo secretary who learned it ogling the Hoff on Baybewatch! Pity she doesn't know one end of a UAV from the other!
Feb 21, 2020, 12:00 PM
Regexistentialist

A800 channel assignments for multi-protocol module

The XK A800 is evidently using the KN/WLToys protocol and can be guided using a MPM equipped Tx with channel assignments as follows: (Thanks go to scousethief and others here for their investigative work on this)
Quote:
Ch 8 on a 2 position switch swaps between 3D and "6G" modes
CH11 on a slider adjusts pitch trim

Channels 1-4 are throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder.
Channel 5 activates the model's built-in dual rate.
Channel 6 activates throttle hold.
Channel 7 activates idle up (WL Toys V931, V966 and V977 only).
Channel 8 toggles between 6G (default) and 3G stabilization.
Channel 9-11 are trim channels for throttle/pitch, elevator and rudder.

Whats the servo connector ? Picoblade ?
Disclaimer: I have not yet verified any of this yet, but plan to soon as I prefer to fly everything using my X9DP-SE w/IRX4 MPM.

Hope this helps!
Feb 21, 2020, 05:42 PM
slope soarer
thanks for 2 really helpful posts. I unhooked the clevises on all 4 control surfaces to rock the surface back and forth 200 times; you need to slide a tiny plastic sleeve back to open each clevis. The gyro and control surfaces now work better. I have decided to await my irange module before flight. I would like to hear from anyone who has an A800 working with a frsky tx.

The A800 is very well made and the quality is apparent, it is hard to understand why a poor job was done on the manual. Also the mode 1/mode 2 issue should have been solved years ago - you let the pilot select the mode- there is no sensible reason it remains a major bugbear for flyers and manufacturers.
Mar 04, 2020, 07:20 AM

Replacement XK A800 finally arrived :)

The replacement A800 finally arrived, in perfect condition (no shipping damage)...

Straight out of the box, all decals were stripped, and some water based acrylic paint applied to make it a gawdy spectacle in the sky

The Fuchia Pink just "Pops" as the plane passes over head, a simple mode that will be applied to the F959 too.

there was the typical putzing about adjusting the clevis connectors for the control surfaces, otherwise another perfect flyer right out of the box.

below is a link to a short Re-Maiden flight, that filming, the A800 has had 5 batteries through it, and each flight has been more enjoyable than the last... I couldn't be more pleased

XK A800 fpv maiden mar 2020 (4 min 41 sec)
Mar 10, 2020, 03:28 PM
More FPV Fun!!!

Up till now I'd been using a SkyZone Rc500 monitor for FPV, with mixed results, in that it's hard to take your eyes of the plane and quickly get oriented to the monitor screen (or so I've found)...

But recently I've started using an Eachine ROTG 02 USB type FPV receiver, with an old phone as a monitor and a cheap VR goggle set...

Far more immersive, and BIG Fun!!!

XK A800 tru fpv flight Mar 2020 (4 min 18 sec)

Quick Reply