Aug 30, 2018, 02:26 PM
What's the size of the propeller? Is the motor direct drive? Could be cool to replace with brushless!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2018, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Props diameter is 10.5 cm and yes its direct drive. Wish the plane was brushless from the start
Aug 30, 2018, 02:57 PM
How are the aileron servos connected? Do you think you could get a video when you fly it?

I bet a little 110x brushless motor would work
Sep 07, 2018, 09:06 AM
Check my blog....
I have an XK A430 that I dont like.... I have a couple of A600's I like but have crashed, one badly....

I have a couple of A800's coming.... can I take the receiver, motor and esc out of the A430 and put them in the A800 to make it brushless? (or the motor and Rx out of an A600)

How does the A800 perform with the coreless motor? Is it worth thinking of making it brushless? (is it worth the hassle?)

I am wondering what the actual range of the Rx/Tx is of the A800? It seems to be the same radio as the A430 and A600.... I have had my A600 nearly out of sight, at least the advertised 300m .... but the A800 specifications say it is only 200m range?

Anyone know?
Sep 17, 2018, 11:07 AM
Got my XK A800 today.

Surprised by just what a nice shape it is, very streamlined, very efficient looking.

Packing is good, box had taken a couple of dings but no damage to plane.

It was very well assembled, wings were completely done, right down to the little bands on the clevises. Very easy to put together, and it was right out of the box in every respect, servos centered, control surfaces moved freely ( although I did do my usual 100x movements to make sure ) . I have had much bigger and more expensive planes that were not nearly put together so well.

As other people have said, battery needs to be right up next to engine at front for balance.

Maidened it today in 10-15 mph winds. Initial impressions are:

+ stablization works well in high winds, it was enough wind to give my 60inch class plane issues, and although it was tossed around , it never lost orientation and always felt in control, and I felt it was impressive for something that put together cost less than my FrSky stabilzed S8R and telemetry setup. I did find 6D full stabilization mode caused problems, it would not turn sharply enough to bring it back from the wind, but it was impressively stable, full hands off was possible even in the wind. 3D mode was better, but just lacks real control authority.

+very quiet, perfect small park flier.

- very underpowered, slow climbs, about 9 mins flight time.
- not aerobatic - ailerons are a bit feeble, a slow climb and a dive to build up energy are required for a loop, it won't roll even in "3D" mode, and forget about hover and knife edge.

I would compare it to flying a Radio controlled kite. I found it was nice to hang it in the air, making gentle adjustments and managing energy, looping it around in a circuit and back again. I do think my kids will enjoy flying it.

Glide slope not terribly impressive, and stall speed seems a little high, but I think some light slope soaring could be done with this with maybe a little ballast so it penetrates. I have a particular hill I want to try out and I think it would be perfect, now I know the stabilization will handle the turbulence.

I suspect modding will be an issue, I haven't taken the board out yet, but it looks like its all one unit and adding a brushless esc and motor will require some work with a multimeter and soldering iron.
Sep 17, 2018, 10:32 PM
Check my blog....
Mine arrived as well, looks great. It is too windy to fly here at the moment. From the size of the prop and the size of the motor, I can see it is going to be underpowered..... so I will be attempting to fit the motor, brushless esc and entire board from one of my A600's or my A430 I dont like much.

I noticed that the control surfaces are very stiff.... by moving them by the control horn, the elevator and rudder wont move.... so I have been wiggling them back and forward by hand to try and loosen them up, before fitting the links and hoping the servo can move them. If there is still not enough movement, I will consider carefully taking a V out of each side of the hinge sections, then adding some tape at the hinge points.

I think these will potentially be a good plane.... they need to be brushless.... I can imagine one of these with the power train from an A600.... and little hinges rather than the thick EPO hinges.... how perfect that would be? The hinge cut out may work ok on EPA.... but EPO is far too stiff and resistant to movement
Sep 17, 2018, 10:46 PM
Check my blog....
I have bought these because I really like the HK Walrus.... I want to see if I like this style of plane/glider before I fork out for a Walrus.... but what puts me off the Walrus first up, is it is PnF and I know nothing of what Tx and Rx is best for them, how to choose. I am new at planes, I usually fly heli's.... I really like the 6G (save) of the XK A series planes.... I am actually considering getting a Walrus and putting the Rx from an A600 in it with a bigger ESC......

Does anyone know if that would work? Any reason why it wouldn't?

Also, really, what is the actual range of the A800? The specs say it is 200 meters? The XK A600 says 300 meters.... I have flown my XK A600 at least 300m away.... why would the A800 be such short range? It looks like the same Tx.... is the Rx made weaker? Or, is it simply the Chinese guessing the range and calling it shorter to cover their butt in the event of fly offs?
Last edited by Calcifer; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Yet another dod gamned tucking fypo!!
Sep 18, 2018, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I have bought these because I really like the HK Walrus.... I want to see if I like this style of plane/glider before I fork out for a Walrus.... but what puts me off the Walrus first up, is it is PnF and I know nothing of what Tx and Rx is best for them, how to choose. I am new at planes, I usually fly heli's.... I really like the 6G (save) of the XK A series planes.... I am actually considering getting a Walrus and putting the Rx from an A600 in it with a bigger ESC......

Does anyone know if that would work? Any reason why it wouldn't?

Also, really, what is the actual range of the A800? The specs say it is 200 meters? The XK A600 says 300 meters.... I have flown my XK A600 at least 300m away.... why would the A800 be such short range? It looks like the same Tx.... is the Rx made weaker? Or, is it simply the Chinese guessing the range and calling it shorter to cover their butt in the event of fly offs?
First question range, I don't see any difference in the TX but who knows, honestly. If you have both it would be interesting to place both on the ground and walk away, and see which fails first.

On the subject of HK Walrus, gyroscopes in general and beginner aircraft -

Small planes are the WRONG choice for the beginner. They are hard to see, they require fast accurate controls, and they are too affected by wind, they are harder to land. Small planes, even with gyros, are really for experts. It is not impossible to learn on a small plane, but its much harder.

A big plane without a gyro is easier to fly than a small plane with a gyro. A big plane with a gyro is an order of magnitude easier again.

The smaller you model something, the greater the need for precision and accuracy on all angles and surfaces, and correct weighting. It is MUCH harder to repair and modify a small plane. On a small plane you must be very careful and accurate when gluing it back together to repair it. A big foam plane can be crashed into the ground hard, smashed to pieces, then just put the pieces in hot water to unsquish them, then glued back together with foam safe cryano and activator and it will fly again just fine.

First off, you really want a transmitter that can be hooked up to a PC, and a flight sim like realflight or aerofly to learn to fly. You need to learn orientation ( which is harder than it seems ! ) , and how to recover from tip stalls, regular stalls and how to roll out of a failed trick.

You start with the radio. The choice for technology experts is FrSky, the best thing about Frsky is everything is setup by you and customised. This is also the worst thing, as you will have a steep learning curve setting it up. You can setup a S6R and Taranis to do everything the other systems do ( SAFE, stabilized, dual rates, and more, but some learning will be required. I think the easiest choice is Spectrum, they pretty much have the easy Bind and Fly gyro/SAFE market sewn up, loads of planes with Spectrum modules already installed ready to bind. You can also get cheap spectrum compatible gyros from Hobbyking. Spectrum are bit more expensive, and you lose some customisation options, but they are very good radios.

Then you pick the plane. Hobbyking Walrus is a great choice, tough, cheap, good spares availability, good sized battery. I have flown my friends, and it is a really nice plane. It will NOT fly like the A800, it is VASTLY more capable. It does need some gentle modding to fly right, but its well within most peoples capability. Its not a perfect trainer, it doesn't have much dihedral so its not self leveling, but it does fly a little better for it.

Then you set your radio up for beginners. You want about 75% rates, and about 30% expo. This will make the aircraft less vulnerable to you overcontrolling it and give a less sensitive stick.

I would NOT attempt to put the flight controller from a A800 into a Walrus. I seriously doubt that the board could provide enough power to the servos and flight surfaces. It would be asking for a brownout and crash, or just to burn the board, and it would an epic pain to install, probably have to do a lot of soldering and change every connector to JST.
Sep 18, 2018, 05:22 AM
Check my blog....
Thanks, I have A430, A600 and now A800... I havent tried the A800 yet, too windy at the moment. I can fly the A600 quite well, although I do depend alot on getting back to 6G when it is about to spear into the ground when I fly it in 3G...

What radio do most people use in their Walrus? Is there a brand of Rx and flight controller that has 3G/6G that isn't too hard for a non computer literate old guy like me to fit and get working?

I don't like simulators.... for some reason they make me feel car sick after a few minutes, I have tried sims for heli.... I can fly micro and V950 heli's ok... but cant fly them on sim....

I generally fly them on the Tx they came with... I dont understand how to change settings, I have a devo 10 which I have no idea how it works
Last edited by Calcifer; Sep 18, 2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Yet another tucking fypo... driving me nuts....
Sep 19, 2018, 05:21 AM
I did some sloping with the A800 today, and it finally made sense as an aeroplane. Really nice performance, the stabilization takes care of turbulence, and I had no problems hanging it in the air for an hour and twenty minutes on two batteries. It climbed very well into the wind, and although it did struggle when it dropped into sink, it always climbed back out into lift and then shot up. It will definatly come with me on some hikes up hills, perfect size and weight for the job.

Some simple soaring, sorry for shaky footage, it was very windy and hold to hold camera one handed and fly at the same time !

Slope Soaring XKA800 (2 min 10 sec)
Oct 17, 2018, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
I finally had the time and the right weather to maiden my XK A800. While putting it together, I noticed that the control surfaces on the tail weren't really set up right so had to adjust and with those adjustments it flew pretty good straight away. Was kinda funny to try and fight the 6G mode

Also flew my old worn down XK A700 (complete with SQ12 camera) and think I got way more airtime out of that one with the same 7.4V 300mAh battery, but that could have been my 'test and trial' way of flying with the A800. It IS very stabile in the sky thanks to that 6G mode, so I'll probably put a camera on it quickly

Quadcopter 101 just posted his flight/review of the A800 (very windy):

XK A800 RTF Four Channel Stabilized RC Glider Plane Flight Test Review (15 min 26 sec)
Nov 06, 2018, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Just finished a short video shot with a small SQ12 camera onboard my XK A800 during a sunset flight:

sunset flight XK A800 SQ12 video (2 min 51 sec)
Nov 06, 2018, 03:06 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks nice, the plane seems a pretty solid camera platform.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 06, 2018, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, it was my first camera flight with the A800. For now I still prefer my XK A700
Nov 07, 2018, 09:50 AM

XK A800 Stabilized Four Channel RC Glider Park Flying Flight Test Review

How well does the new XK A800 RC plane do as a park flier? Let's find out.

XK A800 Stabilized Four Channel RC Glider Park Flying Flight Test Review (8 min 25 sec)

Quick Reply