Sep 21, 2019, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I found with mine, the foam hinge section where the rudder, elevators and ailerons join on, it was very stiff... so before I connected the pushrods, I flexed the control surfaces to get them able to move easier. The poor little servos could not get much movement of the surfaces. After I flexed them all backwards and forwards a dozen times or so, then connected the rods, the servo could move them much easier.

Before I flexed them, the push rod would be pushing on the horn, but the horn moved but the surface only moved partially, and not much deflection...

Has anyone else found this? Or do mine just have unusually stiff 'hinge' sections of the moving surfaces?
I just flex mine all the way flush and use sand paper to loosen the hinge by removing a light layer of the material..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2019, 09:04 PM
Two attempts to buy this place have failed. First through Amazon Canada. After two moths they said it was lost in the mail. So I ordered from banggood who said it was in stock. Opted for ships from US to avoid the long delay and loss. Stuck in processing after six days. They replied that they could not ship to me because Customs would destroy .. WT& I guess I am not very getting that plane as a trainer / backyard flyer.
Sep 24, 2019, 09:51 PM
I got mine from Banggood and shipped from China. Their customer service has gone downhill for the past year or so. If you order anything just pray nothing happens, otherwise it will be a long and painful process to resolve the simplest of issues. RIP old BG
Sep 29, 2019, 11:20 PM
Freezing today but managed to get in a good flight. It dawned on me last week that I was brought up on mode 1 & I am flying mode 2. LOL. Crash & learn. Moved the rudder push rod to the inner-most slot and there is now a lot more rudder movement. I put the plane into the alternative flight mode and the plane nosed into the ground from about 7 ft up. Motor no. 2 bit the dust. Motor no. 3 already on the way. The good doctor prescribed walking as an exercise. I think retrieving a downed plane is way more interesting.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackl1
It dawned on me last week that I was brought up on mode 1 & I am flying mode 2. LOL.
I can sympathise. I was brought up on Mode 1 but because so many of the planes and quadcopters from China only come with Mode 2 I have had to get used to it for some of them. However, in a crisis I am likely to try to revert to what I know best .

At least I can fly the A800 with my Taranis with the Jumper multi protocol module, so I can use Mode 1.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Freezing today but managed to get in a good flight. It dawned on me last week that I was brought up on mode 1 & I am flying mode 2. LOL. Crash & learn. Moved the rudder push rod to the inner-most slot and there is now a lot more rudder movement. I put the plane into the alternative flight mode and the plane nosed into the ground from about 7 ft up. Motor no. 2 bit the dust. Motor no. 3 already on the way. The good doctor prescribed walking as an exercise. I think retrieving a downed plane is way more interesting.
LOL. I can sympathize - mine is also awaiting a new motor. Do yourself a favour. Get an XK X520. Gluing up the nose after high speed nose-ins is way easier than repairing both motors & noses! Also that "Whoa Boy" switch saves a lot of prangs. Plus the Tx is switchable mode1 or 2. Just make sure to read the Chinglish manual & go through the RC Groups Forums thread on it to familiarize yourself with the craft's foibles. After that they're 1 of the 2 most fun aircraft we have. The other's any 1 of the little XK A100 series 3-channel foamies.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:46 AM
Dont discount the WLtoys F959 ..
Surprisingly good flyer when bound to a decent transmitter .
Sep 30, 2019, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Dont discount the WLtoys F959 ..
Surprisingly good flyer when bound to a decent transmitter .
Yep. The 959 is a pretty good starter trainer. Only limited by the brushed motor which sometimes heats up enough to cause problems with the prop attachment. Also no stabilization.
Sep 30, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztreecrasher
Yep. The 959 is a pretty good starter trainer. Only limited by the brushed motor which sometimes heats up enough to cause problems with the prop attachment. Also no stabilization.
Zooms around fine @ 50% throttle and it's so stable that stabilisation is not required .. ( + its the same motor as in the XK A800 )
I do miss the Ailerons , but as a first model or just a fun little plane = I like it .
And to date I have probably flown it more than the XK A800 , that stabilisation ? Not loving it ! There should have been an option to just turn it off , even if it was a jumper on the flight board that needed bridging .
Sep 30, 2019, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the sympathy & suggestions

Good day guys & thank you. I got back into the hobby by building the CPO tricopter I found on RCGroups. With the APM & later the Pixhawk, it was almost impossible to crash. Not much fun there! So I went back to planes. It's a bit of work fixing up the nose of the A800 - used E6000 glue & 4 pcs 1mm dia. carbon rod to firmly reattach the nose. Now the nose doesn't break but the motor does. I learned somewhere on RCGroups that the XK A800 uses a N60 motor and there are plenty of them online for very little money. I will source my motors there from now on. I ordered a F959 from Walmart.ca (of all places) and it's cheaper than Banggood with faster delivery. LOL. Looking forward to flying it as soon as it gets here. I am using Turnigy nano tech 300mah batteries and they seem to be quite a bit better than the stock ones. By the way, is it possible to use a stabilizer on a 3-channel plane? I have a 3-channel pusher foamie from Banggood - the Pidgeon - that likes to drop out of the sky even when properly balanced. It's almost impossible to break after the E6000 & carbon rod treatment. It would be great if someone let me know how to insert emojis here. All I got was gibberish.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Good day guys & thank you. I got back into the hobby by building the CPO tricopter I found on RCGroups. With the APM & later the Pixhawk, it was almost impossible to crash. Not much fun there! So I went back to planes. It's a bit of work fixing up the nose of the A800 - used E6000 glue & 4 pcs 1mm dia. carbon rod to firmly reattach the nose. Now the nose doesn't break but the motor does. I learned somewhere on RCGroups that the XK A800 uses a N60 motor and there are plenty of them online for very little money. I will source my motors there from now on. I ordered a F959 from Walmart.ca (of all places) and it's cheaper than Banggood with faster delivery. LOL. Looking forward to flying it as soon as it gets here. I am using Turnigy nano tech 300mah batteries and they seem to be quite a bit better than the stock ones. By the way, is it possible to use a stabilizer on a 3-channel plane? I have a 3-channel pusher foamie from Banggood - the Pidgeon - that likes to drop out of the sky even when properly balanced. It's almost impossible to break after the E6000 & carbon rod treatment. It would be great if someone let me know how to insert emojis here. All I got was gibberish.
3rd party ones ?
[img][/img]
Oct 01, 2019, 06:00 PM
Here we go
Oct 01, 2019, 06:01 PM
Ah, the emoji works now.
Oct 12, 2019, 06:43 PM

I lost it

Had several good flights until the damn thing had a mind of it's own and got lost behind the tress several feet off the ground. Looked everywhere but no plane. Loosing the nano tec battery made it worse . The range was quite good with the antenna out through the air outlet in the fuselage. Don't know if it's the 4-in-1 module or the plane Never lost a plane before! LOL. At least the F959 & the Pico Stick will be here early next week. Fix up the house for the rest of the Thanksgiving long weekend, I suppose. Any suggestion if I should get another A100? I quite like it once I managed to transition to mode 2
Oct 12, 2019, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Had several good flights until the damn thing had a mind of it's own and got lost behind the tress several feet off the ground. Looked everywhere but no plane. Loosing the nano tec battery made it worse . The range was quite good with the antenna out through the air outlet in the fuselage. Don't know if it's the 4-in-1 module or the plane Never lost a plane before! LOL. At least the F959 & the Pico Stick will be here early next week. Fix up the house for the rest of the Thanksgiving long weekend, I suppose. Any suggestion if I should get another A100? I quite like it once I managed to transition to mode 2
Do you have a transmitter ? if so I would suggest an upgrade ..
Buy a PNF 800mm model .. Mini Rainbow 800 from BG is a nice model ..
FMS does some nice 800mm models
Firstar 200 is a really nice model

If I somehow lost all my models ? ( Heaven forbid )
FMS Vtail 800mm and Firstar 200 800mm would be on my priority list with the Mini Rainbow 800 on the To Buy List .
The prices are just too close .
Especially the Rainbow 800 .. When BG discounts it , its a heck of a deal .

Don't get me wrong . The XK A800 has it's place , but how long does it take to outgrow it ?
Especially if you take your RC a little more seriously than the average person just dipping their toe's .

Quick Reply