This thread is privately moderated by Dave Eichstedt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 28, 2018, 10:53 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

Announcement!

As of 9:30pm this evening, my first prototype is complete! I need to add about 4 oz. of nose weight, which is pretty good for an electric version. I also need to install one non-functional scale detail, an oil cooler, but it's not crucial. I'm hoping to make the first flight on Monday.

With this milestone, I think I'm far enough along to clue you in to what I'm working on. So here goes.

For my first project, I wanted something that was proven as a good subject matter, but not a Cub or a Mustang. For sizing, I wanted it to be large enough to have presence, but still be economical. 20cc seems like a good sweet spot as the lowest common gas (petrol) engine size, but also appropriate for using a Power 60 electric motor on 6S. I wanted something not too complex, as I was just learning a new CAD system. If you've read my other blog posts, you'll know this was probably a good idea, as I spent about 9 months struggling to get the design done, and this one was relatively simple.

So, for this first project, I ended up with something that's not a warbird. Some of you may be disappointed, but so be it. I'm pretty confident many of you will be excited for this release. Also note, this is not a release announcement. I don't know at this point when kits will be available. Of course I have a target price in mind, but I don't yet know what my final costs will be. This is more of a personal blog, giving you a glimpse into the struggles and issues involved in getting a kit like this to market.

Without further delay, this first project is........drum roll........a DHC-2 Beaver!

Yes, they've been done before. However, looking at the kits that have been done over the last 10 years or so, there were very few in this size class. Many of them have had serious scale issues, or were just plain heavy. This one was drawn from the original factory blueprints, so it has a super scale outline. In particular, the nose is a scale length for the vast majority of flying Beavers.

Size-wise it came out to 1/6.3 scale, which lands at a 91.4" span and 904 square inches of wing area. I haven't gotten an accurate weight yet, but the rough ones I've done indicate this prototype will be about 12 pounds, which is at the top end of the range I was hoping for. However, there are some opportunities for getting weight out. I didn't have the fiberglass wingtips done yet so I just used solid balsa and didn't even hollow them out. The landing gear fairings are nylon, built with an SLS machine (similar to 3D printing), which I'm sure are heavier than the final fiberglass ones will be. The wing has some opportunities for structural lightening, and the next fuselage top will have some lightening holes this first prototype doesn't.

Please feel free to make comments below - I value your feedback!

Enjoy the photos. I'll post more after first flight.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2018, 01:15 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Nice Beaver
Thanks for sharing...
sounds like I was talking to a raunchy date
May 02, 2018, 07:38 AM

Good job

That is a very nice looking plane.
Last edited by FlyBigElectric; Jan 13, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
Sep 25, 2018, 01:44 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
I have exciting news to share: I am now accepting pre-orders for the 20cc DHC-2 Beaver kit! The time has come for me to place the first order with the manufacturer, so I've launched a pre-order campaign to help raise funds to get this project moving.

There are two pre-order bonuses. First, shipping will be free! Second, I'm including a DHC-2 Beaver ceramic coffee mug with each kit ordered. At this time I expect kits to ship in the Jan/Feb time frame. Check out my page on fundable.com below and secure your Beaver kit today!

https://www.fundable.com/moustache-model-works-llc
Mar 14, 2019, 05:43 PM
Is this kit available?

Disregard, I read your Facebook post. Keep us updated!
Last edited by BZip; Mar 15, 2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply