A-10 MJ - Pusher jet made simple - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 06, 2018, 11:55 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
I got quite a bit of work done. Most of it was devising a way to control both elevators with 1 servo and keeping it very simple, this was achieved. I'll take pics of the set up later. Had to make motor esc extensions also. All foam glued on except the top pieces. I'm leaving those off until the last minute. So far the weight with current parts is at 22 ounces, she's getting to be a pig (pun intended). With the weight in mind i decided that I will be installing landing gear, at least until it's maiden'd. I been taking notes on plan revisions and will have a write up on what needs to be done after the build is complete.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2018, 11:20 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
Some more progress done, all assembled but the 2 top pieces and canopy, these need to be reconfigured. All electronics up and tested as is landing gear. I noticed some torsional twist in the tail section under full power, hopefully the top piece will reinforce this issue. And yeah, landing gear in the back, not enough nose weight to put it there.
Last edited by Lawn Dart Flyer; May 10, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
May 10, 2018, 05:44 AM
Registered User
Nice progress.
May 10, 2018, 11:18 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
I did a taxi test and it ran straight, so i thought, hell with it get it in the air...nope. I have the motor set at 0 and it was pushing the nose down so hard it couldn't take off, but ground speed was around 30 mph I will set motor to about 10 degrees and see how it works out.
May 11, 2018, 04:41 AM
a.k.a MJ
azamkl's Avatar
I would love to see the front landing gear assembly. Regarding the weight issue, I think that one can be sort out. Anyway, nice progress on the build. I'm still tweaking the plan and will update it once all in place.
May 11, 2018, 09:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Some more progress done, all assembled but the 2 top pieces and canopy, these need to be reconfigured. All electronics up and tested as is landing gear. I noticed some torsional twist in the tail section under full power, hopefully the top piece will reinforce this issue. And yeah, landing gear in the back, not enough nose weight to put it there.
The reason it didn't take-off is not the motor thrust angle, but the lack of incidence angle while standing on the wheels.

A plane needs to 'rotate' to get the nose up and air under the wing. With a 'tail dragger' the tail has to sit low to start with. A model with trike gear, (nose wheel and mains), can be at a negative angle, but can then rotate around the main wheels.

I can see what you have done is to protect the prop, but then you need to lengthen the main wheels so the wing sits at least 10 degrees positive to the ground.

.
May 11, 2018, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
The reason it didn't take-off is not the motor thrust angle, but the lack of incidence angle while standing on the wheels.

A plane needs to 'rotate' to get the nose up and air under the wing. With a 'tail dragger' the tail has to sit low to start with. A model with trike gear, (nose wheel and mains), can be at a negative angle, but can then rotate around the main wheels.

I can see what you have done is to protect the prop, but then you need to lengthen the main wheels so the wing sits at least 10 degrees positive to the ground.

.
Yes I noticed that too, that rear wheel is larger than I need but was the only one i had laying around. On one high speed ground run after i let off the throttle it lifted off the ground. Also when just holding it in hand and level there is a very noticable down force when throttling up. I need to tinker with a few things to get it right, and I also need to remember that none of the control surfaces have any prop wash to work with.
May 11, 2018, 11:50 PM
a.k.a MJ
azamkl's Avatar
I have updated the plan (V3) with angle of attack correction and size measurements has also been corrected.
May 12, 2018, 12:06 AM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
Here is some completed build pics. I will try to maiden tomorrow. Then i will write up what needs to be fixed in plans and hopefully how it flies. The main thing is that it will balance, this was my first concern.
May 12, 2018, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
She Flies!!!! sorry, no maiden vid. I wasn't really expecting to fly it today. i just wanted to see if the new motor angle was sufficient, and it was just that, sufficient but not optimal. I now need to add a few more degrees along with relocating the rear landing gear to it's nose where it belongs and will just put a bamboo skewer on the back to protect the prop from ground strikes.
May 12, 2018, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
She Flies!!!! sorry, no maiden vid. I wasn't really expecting to fly it today. i just wanted to see if the new motor angle was sufficient, and it was just that, sufficient but not optimal. I now need to add a few more degrees along with relocating the rear landing gear to it's nose where it belongs and will just put a bamboo skewer on the back to protect the prop from ground strikes.
Nice! Good flyer? If so this may be up next for me once I get my EZ sorted.
May 12, 2018, 04:49 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Nice! Good flyer? If so this may be up next for me once I get my EZ sorted.
I'm not sure yet as I need to do more adjustments, the important thing is that proof of concept is done and it will fly
May 12, 2018, 04:52 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
I want to point out to those that are following that my build is a proof of concept. This is a beta build and I have a list of things that need to be done before anyone builds it so stay tuned.
May 13, 2018, 10:32 AM
a.k.a MJ
azamkl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
I want to point out to those that are following that my build is a proof of concept. This is a beta build and I have a list of things that need to be done before anyone builds it so stay tuned.
A maiden vid would be great. And most of all, it does fly..yayy!
Yeap, please point out any improvements, altercation and modification as needed. Appreciated it.
May 13, 2018, 09:49 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
MJ, here is a list of modifications that need to be worked out. 1. The wing center piece should be one piece not two. The front and back stands, I was wrong about these, keep them in and add 2 more. The reason being is they will keep the fuselage square while building. 3. A crease line for the front fuselage is not needed, it was the last line. 4. The air duct covers are to small. Overall size should be 8" by 6 1/2" with segments at 3/4" in the middle but the two end piece segments at 15/16. I achieved good results in bending that into a circle by only beveling 1 side of each segment. 5. Air duct mounts, move the crease line from the middle of the mount to where the tabs are going into the fuselage. 6. Reinforcement pieces are needed where the two fuselage pieces are joined. I just glued some scrap foam there. 7. you have tail fin marked as X2, only need 1. 8 The top planks need reworking in size to match the fuse. 9. the horizontal stabilizers will need support of some kind, i used bamboo skewers attached to the fuse. I did get another flight in and will give a few impressions. I do think it could use a little more wing incidence just judging on how mine flew there didn't seem to be much lift at slower speeds. It's a warbird and has to be flown like one, she was only happy at faster speeds. Aileron turns are a bit slow on mine, maybe add another 1/4" width to them. She is quite heavy for it's size, mine comes in at 770 grams or 27 oz. I'm sure 3-4 oz can be shaved off without landing gear on it and i did hand launch it once. The motor I have on it is a 2217/6 if i recall right, 1400kv 8x4 prop 311 watts max. I felt i needed more power so a park 450 should be used. I'll write in more if i think of anything or just ask me questions. please excuse the wall of text, for some reason i can't tab.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log F9F Panther MJ - Mid Pusher Jet azamkl Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 27 May 25, 2018 06:17 AM
Build Log A-6 Intruder MJ - Pusher Jet easy to build azamkl Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 8 May 20, 2018 09:23 PM
Build Log P-38 Pusher MJ - Another variant of twin boom azamkl Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 37 May 06, 2018 07:28 PM
Discussion ELE A-10 A10 556mm Wingspan EPO Micro Airplane EDF or Pusher Jet Drra Foamies (Kits) 3 Jun 06, 2017 10:24 PM
Discussion Simple Profile Pusher Jet ? electriceye Pusher Prop Jet Models 1 Aug 06, 2006 02:39 PM