A-10 MJ - Pusher jet made simple - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 29, 2018, 09:58 PM
a.k.a MJ
Lawn Dart Flyer - how do you shape your aluminium spar? Or you draw it on a piece and then cut accordingly to the shape? I'm planning on using a hard board, cut to the shape and squeeze it with some epoxy. I think I should include that template cut-out into my plan as well.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2018, 10:19 PM
The aluminum is 1/16 thick by 1/2" wide. Which is perfect for most wings. On a normal wing i cut a slot in the middle about 1/8 to 1/4" deep with a hacksaw, carefully bend the pieces up until they touch, there ya go a spar with dihederal
Apr 29, 2018, 10:23 PM
here is a quick pick of the a10 wing i took earlier, not a good pic, it doesnt show where i mad the cut in the dihederal, but it's at end of the center wing parts
Apr 29, 2018, 10:48 PM
a.k.a MJ
That's seem do-able for build who have aluminium sheets available. Going to stock my self with aluminum too for my next build. Thanks Lawn Dart Flyer
Apr 29, 2018, 10:56 PM
the spar is only good mounted in position shown, and then I only use it of fast planes or aerobatic planes or it makes great support for a landing gear pad, This added 40 grams to the build, i only did it because i wanted to, i doubt it's needed if wing is assembled tight
May 01, 2018, 04:35 PM
Any more build progress?
May 01, 2018, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Any more build progress?
Jpot, yeah man, it's all been built, maiden'd and painted. where ya been? But seriously, just swamped at work, 10 hour days + 1 hour each way commute, gives me just enough time each day after work to shower, eat and poop. I suspect i'll have significant progress on weekend
May 02, 2018, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Jpot, yeah man, it's all been built, maiden'd and painted. where ya been? But seriously, just swamped at work, 10 hour days + 1 hour each way commute, gives me just enough time each day after work to shower, eat and poop. I suspect i'll have significant progress on weekend
I feel the pain. During the week I many times can only look at a build and think what to do but zero time to do anything. I've been trying to get paint on my p-38 for two weeks now.
May 02, 2018, 06:04 AM
BTW post 65 of the thread below has some decals that could probably be used.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post39585756
May 02, 2018, 01:03 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Twin tractor prop is also quite easy.

Ray.
May 02, 2018, 10:06 PM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Twin tractor prop is also quite easy.

Ray.
That's look pretty neat Ray. Do you happen to have a build-log of it?

jpot1 - I my self have not have the time to get it started yet. Printed the plan, traced onto depron and it just stuck there.
May 02, 2018, 11:09 PM
I did get some build time in so far here is some quick notes that I think need revisions. 1, wing center section should be 1 piece, not 2. #2 the front stand is sized wrong it's too large and I'd like to know it's purpose. #3 The last crease on the front fuselage part is not needed. #4 The air duct covers are too small for the air duct inner. The inner measures 2 1/8 in diameter while the outer's inside diameter is 1 3/8. Those are my conclusions so far. I will make new outer covers to match the inners, it will be harder to do but look better i think.
May 03, 2018, 12:03 AM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
I did get some build time in so far here is some quick notes that I think need revisions. 1, wing center section should be 1 piece, not 2. #2 the front stand is sized wrong it's too large and I'd like to know it's purpose. #3 The last crease on the front fuselage part is not needed. #4 The air duct covers are too small for the air duct inner. The inner measures 2 1/8 in diameter while the outer's inside diameter is 1 3/8. Those are my conclusions so far. I will make new outer covers to match the inners, it will be harder to do but look better i think.
My bad. I did the measurement from a much larger size and then resize the whole structure without notice the parts measurement changed during the scaling. For example, the foam thickness in my calculation should be 6mm, once scaling, it turn out that it has been shrink to 4mm. I will have a 2nd revision onto my plan and will update you guys.

For the Front and Back Panel, it was actually act as divider where by I was designing it to have a detachable wing section and can be secure to fuselage using rubber band method. And then on 2nd thought that was un-necessary and can be an optional if one want to have a detachable wing. You can opt-in to have more sturdy structure for the fuselage support.
May 05, 2018, 07:13 PM
Ok, i have most of the assembly done and dry fit. I did a simulated balance test mock up with a motor and electronics scattered where they should be and it's looking good for a 2200 3 cell up front. here is a quick pic.
May 06, 2018, 09:15 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamkl

That's look pretty neat Ray. Do you happen to have a build-log of it?
Not exactly a 'build-log', just some information --- Oh not another A-10, The Video.

Ray.

Quick Reply