A-10 MJ - Pusher jet made simple - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 26, 2018, 10:12 PM
a.k.a MJ
Build Log

A-10 MJ - Pusher jet made simple

A-10 is one of my favorite flying model. The beauty and sleek look of it amazed my eyes. That's why I captured it into one of my design collection. The A-10 MJ pusher type diy depron aircraft.

I've saw a couple of articles, blog postings and forum threads that discusses about this model and also some of the have their own build log. However, none of it seem fit to my design objective that is; to have a cool and stunning aircraft that is easy to build, use less foamboard, and at the same time I can have fun flying it in no time.

I'm trying to have something that is easy to understand plan, easy to build, less cluttered parts, lightweight yet durable and this is what I've came up with. A the moment, I'm still working to figure out the best wingspan. Should it be 32" or 40". But I'd preferred 40" to go with my available motor or 1450kv lying around.

The dummy ducted jet fan will just have a straight air flow with no aerodynamic shape and so does the fuselage that is pretty much straight forward. The wings will have tip dihedral and airfoil with 'fold-up' type construction.

[Update 28 April 2018: 1st version of plan added. Available in Full page and Tiled page. Further changes will be announce.]
[Update 30 April 2018: Original plan has been removed to make way for the edited version. The uploaded plan is up to date.]
[Update 12 May 2018: V3 Plan are now updated with the wing angle of attack and correct measurements.]
Last edited by azamkl; May 11, 2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Updated with new plan. V3
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2018, 11:10 PM
I look forward to this one. It will be interesting to see if you can balance it.
Apr 27, 2018, 02:43 AM
Very interested as well. So this will be a pusher also?

Never mind - saw the picture in the other thread. I agree with Lawn Dart Flyer - with the weight of the motor plus the nacelles rear of CG it will be interesting to see how this balances.
Last edited by jpot1; Apr 27, 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Apr 27, 2018, 06:03 PM
Nice, reminds me a bit of the heinkel salamander, one of my fav. planes.
Apr 27, 2018, 09:13 PM
a.k.a MJ
Lawn Dart Flyer & jpot1 - on 2nd thought, that's look like it is going to be a tail-heavy plane ya? You started to make me nervous now as I didn't thought of that earlier. But I believe, there's a way to compensate the tail. Maybe with some trimming on the elevator or using ballast at the nose cone?

rotagen - Thanks. That is one unique plane I saw.
Apr 27, 2018, 09:18 PM
MJ, i tell ya what, I'm a sucker for beta builds, get it in PDF and i'll build it to see if it's feasible. Basically, if it will balance with a 2200 in the nose it has hope. nobody likes to add dead weight to fly.
Apr 27, 2018, 10:55 PM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
MJ, i tell ya what, I'm a sucker for beta builds, get it in PDF and i'll build it to see if it's feasible. Basically, if it will balance with a 2200 in the nose it has hope. nobody likes to add dead weight to fly.
That would be great. I'm eager to know the outcomes. I believe this plane can be tamed as other plane have with minor tweak and trimmings hopefully.

I have updated my first post with the plan. I'm also updating my post on my blog, http://matjey.blogspot.com

We all love to see the updates and progress.
Apr 28, 2018, 03:52 PM
I just got back from the printers. These plans look great and a lot more detailed than previous. Great job MJ, templates are cut and transferred to foam for cutting, I use real dollar tree foam board, it's a lot cheaper than Depron for both of us.
Apr 28, 2018, 05:53 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Another way to bring the CG forward, if necessary, might be to use two smaller motors, high enough KV for the props to clear the wings and mounted in the fronts of the nacelles as tractors?
Looks like a fun project.
Cheers,
PeteM
Apr 28, 2018, 09:22 PM
Right now i have a pile of cut out foam parts. I'm questioning the need of 2 center section wing pieces. I don't know if some assembly will happen tonight or not.
Apr 29, 2018, 03:22 AM
a.k.a MJ
PeteM - That would be great. However I doubt that the approach is realistic enough as you will have a problem regarding weight-to-speed ratio for this 40" wingspan. I was thinking either to have it as mid-pusher setup or tail-pusher setup. By objective, I found out that motor mount on the tail is the best approach. Unless you want to have ducted-fan equipped, than that would be interesting.

Lawn Dart Flyer - 2 center section wing pieces.? I'm not sure which part are you referring to. For the wing part, Wing center spar and Wing tip spar are needed to have more sturdy wing. To join them together, I would use a plywood cutout in between both of the wings assembly to secure them in place. Apply an epoxy for the ply to help secure it in position. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Apr 29, 2018, 04:27 AM
a.k.a MJ
Nothing much on my side since I'm not building it yet. Hopefully some of the diagram below will help others to figure out on how to assemble it.
Apr 29, 2018, 10:07 AM
MJ, yes the plans read as "Center wing section x 2" Why is this 2 pieces and not 1 large piece?
Last edited by Lawn Dart Flyer; Apr 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM.
Apr 29, 2018, 08:52 PM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
MJ, yes the plans read as "Center wing section x 2" Why is this 2 pieces and not 1 large piece?
Yaa, you got that right. It should be in 1 large piece instead of two separate piece since there is no dihedral on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the plan accordingly.
Apr 29, 2018, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamkl
Yaa, you got that right. It should be in 1 large piece instead of two separate piece since there is no dihedral on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the plan accordingly.
Ok, thought so, now i can continue, I started at the wing, stopped when i saw this and wanted to wait if there was reason why. Already have the aileron servos laid out and my own aluminum spar installed along with foam spar. My spar is not necessary and it complicates the wing build but it will never fail and makes setting dihederal a snap.

Quick Reply