Aug 04, 2018, 01:17 AM
I think if you kitted it would be a good seller. Can't wait to see the final version!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2018, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the ws info. I agree that it would be a great kit
Aug 07, 2018, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Maybe it would indeed be a great kit but to make it a kit, there is still a lot more to do and since I also have to work and also have to do something else at home than making airplanes, the question is where to get the time, but who knows.
But at the moment I have some time left for the X-46, so the construction continues smoothly.
So here are a few new pics

Printing the tiptanks,

The advantage of burning an outrunner from time to time is that you get a whole bunch of good magnets in stock

These come in handy for making battery hatches or cockpit locks without the need for tape or screws. Here I used them for the EDF hatch. Normally I only use a magnet on one side and an iron nut on the other, but because this is a hatch that does not have to open frequently, I used a magnet on both sides to make sure it does not open during flight.

that's all for now,
Dirk
Aug 19, 2018, 01:56 AM
Thread OP
It is almost two weeks since the last update, in the meantime the construction is as good as finished.
The fuse is almost completely covered with paper. I do this piece by piece, first because it is easier than with one large piece and secondly the fuse of the X-46 is strongly bent in both directions. Therefore, you never get the paper nicely flat on the surface without having to cut into the paper or you have a lot of folds in it. Another advantage of the small pieces is that with some creativity you get the free illusion of panellines

I also printed a new friend who has to fly the X-46, his helmet has to get some nice colors but he is ready for it

Dirk
Aug 21, 2018, 10:35 AM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool...The vertical stab looks a bit small. May have some stability issues....But still very cool looking
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 21, 2018, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
In the photos it seems small, but that is because of the lens distortion. the fin is actually quite large. I quickly made a side view where you can see the actual size. I do not worry too much about the stability around the top axle, because thr fin has no profile, I can easily enlarge the surface if it seems necessary
Aug 27, 2018, 09:46 AM
Very Cool!!
You stated you are covering with paper, what type of paper and what are you using as an adhesive for the paper?
Aug 29, 2018, 09:05 AM
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Would love to see a kit of it someday
Aug 30, 2018, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
I used 80gr / m2 printer paper for the X-46, sometimes I also used lighter 60gr / m2 paper for smaller models. I do not know which paper corresponds to you in the us, but I assume that it is also just printer paper. Today I use a water-based acrylic varnish as an adhesive. I used to take wood glue diluted with water, which works well but it was always a little searching for the right ratio, the varnish can be used immediately as it comes out of the pot.

Dirk
Sep 27, 2018, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Again it has been quiet for a while, but there is a good reason for that. I went slope soaring for a week in France and then two weeks of traveling in Bosnia. Afterthat I was so busy with the X-47 that I forgot to take pictures.
But meanwhile the status of the X-47 is ARF.
It is completely covered with paper, EDF is installed and tested, as well as the servos and RX. Now to do, seal the paper and the tail surfaces. With a little luck he flies in two weeks.

Sep 27, 2018, 05:04 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 27, 2018, 06:05 PM
PSALM 14:1
Nice!
Sep 29, 2018, 02:53 PM
AKA Terry Till
The paper makes it look like panels. Pretty cool!
Sep 29, 2018, 04:03 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Very nice I show this to non-fliers and they love the look.
Sep 29, 2018, 09:29 PM
Unique and exciting design!
I wish you continued success (and that some big manufacturer like FW will contact you for a licencing agreement)! What an amazing sport / fantasy jet.

PS don't forget to put landing gear on it. As a taildragger it might be a monster but it would sure look cool.

Quick Reply