Apr 28, 2018, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
About a year ago I tried something similar, a cross between a ferrari 156 sharknose and an F5, but it did not get any further than a drawing. Let me know what you think. Then with canopy.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2018, 01:57 PM
Well dang, now I need a CNC foam cutter! But if I go and learn 3D cad then I might as well get a CNC router to carve fuselages.
Apr 29, 2018, 03:05 PM
I 3D print my planes now. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6-5-scale-L-39

I also have a large CNC router (2000x750x180 mm range) but no foam cutter. Looks interesting.
Apr 29, 2018, 03:54 PM
My dremel tool has no fear
try DevFus Foam

basically you trace your side and top view, space your formers to your foam thickness and add lightening holes

it will create the G-code or export to DXF, you will still need a cnc foam cutter, demo is free

http://www.devcad.com/eng/download.asp
Apr 30, 2018, 02:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I 3D print my planes now. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6-5-scale-L-39

I also have a large CNC router (2000x750x180 mm range) but no foam cutter. Looks interesting.

If you have a 3D printer, CNC router and the skills I've seen in your L-39 thread, it can not be a problem to build a cnc foam cutter.

And for Ed, my first cnc cutter was cut with a dremel of plywood and built from material that you can buy in every DIY store.

The cutter has worked almost trouble-free for more than five years, including cutting more than 150 Zlin's, a low-tech, low-cost but big-fun model.

Last winter I printed a new one, the same principle but with here and there some improvements, the X-46 will be the first model to be cut on it.

old versus new

Apr 30, 2018, 05:47 AM
That looks very useful. I made the CNC router myself, it's my second home made CNC, so I know my way around CNC. Now I just need this and a laser cutter.
Apr 30, 2018, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
I agree, a laser cutter/engraver would be nice
May 01, 2018, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
All parts for the fuselage are cut, cocpit and intake are printed.
Now it's time to glue everything together, it is already partially done and the rest is held together with tape and needles for the photo. It will be a massive fuselage that is already certain. Even a 80mm or 90mm fan would fit without problems

Dirk
May 02, 2018, 10:31 AM
AKA Terry Till
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von W
Maybe but I wanted to make it look like a F1 racing car, especially the single engine jet had to have something from a sixties F1, therefore the green yellow color, which comes from an old Lotus F1. And I personally think that the open cockpit makes it special, but tastes differ.
I get it. I was looking at it from a more realistic perspective.
It looks really cool.
Iím amazed at how quickly it came together. Having the right tools and knowing how to use them makes such a difference.
Awesome work!
Jun 19, 2018, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Due to the good weather, it is a while ago but here another update of the X-46,
Maybe I am still old shool but to get a nicely smooth intake duct I have covered it with aluminum tape, extra weight is barely 30 grams. The diameter of the duct is also gradually increasing, just before the fan, to shrink it back to the fan diameter, as we did twenty-five years ago.

X-46 fuse
X-46 fuse

At the moment the two halves are glued together and are fixed with tape

X-46 fuse

to be continued
Jun 29, 2018, 07:37 AM
AKA Terry Till
Looks wonderful! Can't wait to see more!
Jul 02, 2018, 11:55 PM
Classic jets rule
cool stuff you are doing here
Jul 03, 2018, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
cool stuff you are doing here
+1
What glue do you use for joining foam sections?
Thanks
Jul 03, 2018, 07:50 AM
This is amazing work, thank you for documenting it for us. Very inspiring! A question though - what 3D modelling software did you use to create the original renders that inspired this project?
Jul 03, 2018, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
+1
What glue do you use for joining foam sections?
Thanks
I use PU wood glue, it foams a little while drying and thus fills the spaces between the segments if they do not fit tightly. The parts to be glued must be fixed because otherwise they will be pushed back apart by foaming. What is also useful is that if you spray the surfaces with some water the drying time will be shorter but it will foam harder.

Quick Reply