Apr 26, 2018, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

X-46 a sport jet but slightly different

Halfway through the nineties I was quite active in the EDF scene for a few years and I have designed some jets, MIG-15, DH 108 Swallow, TA-183 Huckebein, Mirage 2000B and last but not least my first EDF a Gloster Meteor. After that I flew with a turbine for a few years, that was about my last own design jet. Now after more than 15 years it was time to design me a new edf model again. Nowadays there are countless jets on the market of which most scale models are, so it does not make much sense to build yet another F-16 or whatever. So it would be a sports jet, here too there are too many looking similar, not that they are not beautiful but it had to be something completely different. One day I found this on Pinterest,

In my opinion it looks great and I immediately saw the potential to make it an awesome looking jet. Once behind the PC, I soon had this design ready.

X-46 v13 005 by Dirk Wouters, on Flickr
Not bad at all, but actually at this moment I wanted to keep it at one engine, so one engine went into the trash and the other went into the fuselage and that's how it became.

A good start, but there was still a lot to change here and there. The intake is too big for me and it could also be a little smaller for the minifan.
X-46 collage by Dirk Wouters, on Flickr
Later, the wing moved down a bit and the nose became even flatter. The tail section was also changed, stab is somewhat lower because of the easier construction and the vertical fin is somewhat different in shape.

The model will be constructed from cnc cut foam and partly from printed parts. The cutting files for the foam are almost finished and the first part is currently being printed.

It will not be every day but regularly I will post progress here

Dirk
Last edited by Von W; Apr 26, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2018, 03:33 PM
Very cool designs.
Apr 26, 2018, 05:37 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice CAD work..jet looks fun also
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 26, 2018, 07:48 PM
Creations Aberration
Very nice.
Good to see something different than the same same.

Flicker huh?

Probably originated here,,,
http://www.deviantart.com/
Great site, make coffee.

K~
Apr 26, 2018, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethertek
Very nice.

Flicker huh?

Probably originated here,,,
http://www.deviantart.com/
Great site, make coffee.

K~
I removed the Flickr-thing, it was an appendix that was automatically placed when copying the link from Flickr.
Those interested can see my other designs here over the years.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vonw004/albums

And here also a picture of the officially first part of the X-46

Last edited by Von W; Apr 26, 2018 at 11:53 PM.
Apr 27, 2018, 04:49 AM
PS, it will be lighter if you don't model it hollow, but instead model it solid and print it with zero infill. A compound curve part like that can be printed successfully with only one perimeter.
Apr 27, 2018, 10:39 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Awesome!!!! I love both designs!
Apr 27, 2018, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip, I will print one next week as you suggest, I also quickly entered it in CURA as solid with a wall thickness of .4mm and 0% filling. Then according to CURA it would weigh 12gr and the one I printed weighs 17gr. The printed one has a wall thickness of 0.8mm, actually I hollowed out of the solid until a wall thickness of 0.8mm (2x the nozzle) remained, the edge at the bottom I provided for a better bond with the foam.
5gr difference is not much and I do not think that will make much difference on this model, which I wonder is the difference in strength between 0.4 and 0.8mm, that's why I will try it.

Besides, what I have not mentioned yet is that the model gets a 69mm minifan EVO with Kontronik motor on 4S 3700 to 4000mAh. The wingspan is approximately 1100mm or 43inches.
Apr 27, 2018, 12:20 PM
Dirk,
I love the twin! Would make a nice 90mm fan model.
Marty
Apr 27, 2018, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Snell
Dirk,
I love the twin! Would make a nice 90mm fan model.
Marty
Maybe later, With two 70mm fans it would be around 1500mm span, but with 90mm fans it becomes huge

Apr 28, 2018, 01:26 PM
AKA Terry Till
Those are sick and slick looking jets! I think a canopy would look better, IMHO.
Apr 28, 2018, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr
Those are sick and slick looking jets! I think a canopy would look better, IMHO.
Maybe but I wanted to make it look like a F1 racing car, especially the single engine jet had to have something from a sixties F1, therefore the green yellow color, which comes from an old Lotus F1. And I personally think that the open cockpit makes it special, but tastes differ.

oops, three times the photo, was not the intention and don't know how to remove them.
Apr 28, 2018, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
A quick update, the first parts of the fuselage have been cut,

to be continued
Apr 28, 2018, 03:48 PM
That's real slick!!!
Apr 28, 2018, 05:37 PM
That is what's great about them a cross between F1 and a "modern" golden age racers!

Quick Reply