Aug 21, 2019, 01:12 AM
AeroDan
If the reps from Horizon see how this thread goes on , they might do something, regarding a larger version.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 23, 2019 at 01:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 09:47 AM
Obviously the young boy in that vid is a fairly advanced flyer.
I have this Gee Bee & It is pretty easy to fly, especially when maintaining decent speed.
Landings can be tricky though & nose overs are a common thing, as that vid shows.
Personally, I wouldn't fly mine off anything other than a smooth paved surface.
Landing gear will likely get damaged pretty quick when landing on loose dirt or grass.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:39 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Obviously the young boy in that vid is a fairly advanced flyer.
I have this Gee Bee & It is pretty easy to fly, especially when maintaining decent speed.
Landings can be tricky though & nose overs are a common thing, as that vid shows.
Personally, I wouldn't fly mine off anything other than a smooth paved surface.
Landing gear will likely get damaged pretty quick when landing on loose dirt or grass.

Over numerous years I would land my UMX Gee Bee on grass. A strong flair before plopping it down usually ended in a nose over. Never had an issue with loose bracing but I did always check and expect it to come loose! Now that I have access to an asphalt RC runway the grass is a thing of the past.
Aug 21, 2019, 04:48 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Also remember that the UMX Gee Bee (either version) taxes smaller UMX packs, due to the relatively high current @ WOT.

The difference between a top-notch, low-sag 2s 320 mAh & 2s 450 mAh BabbelBatt is clearly noticeable in my comparison clip below. You can even clearly hear the difference in RPM by ear. The difference in performance between any top-notch, low-sag UMX pack & a typical saggy UMX pack will be starkly apparent!

Performance comparison between a freshly broken-in Hyperion 320 BabbelBatt & then a freshly broken-in Hyperion 450 BabbelBatt:

Eflite UMX Gee Bee - Hyperion 320 vs. 450 - WOT passes, aerobatics, inverted flight, touch & goes (17 min 50 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Aug 25, 2019, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I would love to have a Gee Bee in the 1000 to 1100 mm range but can't find one
yup, i'd like one too. I think it was Great Planes or something that used to make one, but it has been discontinued.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:16 PM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
yup, i'd like one too. I think it was Great Planes or something that used to make one, but it has been discontinued.
Yes, I think it was. I should have bought one while I could but I waited too long.

It'd be great if E-Flite made one with AS3X and SAFE Select
Aug 26, 2019, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Yes, I think it was. I should have bought one while I could but I waited too long.

It'd be great if E-Flite made one with AS3X and SAFE Select
what would be the best if there was a gee bee that didn't flip over on its nose upon landing
Aug 27, 2019, 01:25 AM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
what would be the best if there was a gee bee that didn't flip over on its nose upon landing
Haha that'd be great! I like how HH put plastic under the nose and on top of the tail of this one though. So far I've been sticking the landings pretty good as long as I'm not coming in on LVC.
Aug 27, 2019, 04:33 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
No problem with nosing-over on hard-surface runways as long as I do power-on, full-stall, 3-point landings.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts

Quick Reply