Apr 22, 2018, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Vixen 2 F5J

Alex at Soaring USA sent me one of the new Vixen 2 F5J models to assemble. https://www.soaringusa.com/Vixen-2-F5J.html
This is an updated version of the Vixen F3J model that has been seriously lightened for competition F5J flying.
The wings feel very light for their size and surface finish is quite good. The wings are 2-piece and hollow molded with a carbon joiner.

The Vixen 2 F5J is very attractively priced and will be offered in several layups -- a lightweight carbon version, and standard glass version, and a strong carbon version for windy flying.
This model is the strong carbon version, but I'll also have a lightweight version too in a few days.

I just got the go ahead to get started on the build, so here we go!

Since everyone wants to know, here are the component weights:

Vixen 2 F5J -- Strong Carbon layup
Wings -- 796g
Fuse -- 174g
V-tails -- 90g
Wing joiner -- 80g
Tail joiner -- 5g
1145g
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2018, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
I usually like to get started on the wings.
This model comes with an LDS linkage system already installed. Nice touch!

The wing servos will be MKS HV6100's mounted in bearing frames.
The inside hole on the servo arm fits nicely inside the wing. The servo arms were trimmed and then drilled out to fit the 1.5mm pushrods.
The bottom of the servo frames and the floor of the servo wells were roughed up with some coarse sandpaper, then the servos and frames were glued in place with some thickened epoxy.
I used plastic wrap between the servos and frames as an epoxy barrier to prevent the servos from being glued in.

After the frames were glued in place, the servos were removed and balsa shimmed glued in place so the frames are tied to both the top and bottom surface of the wing for greater stiffness.
Apr 23, 2018, 08:56 AM
E sailplane thermal hack

Obligatory photo shoot ;-)

I Just got the Standard Version of this plane that has Fiberglass skin wings with a super beefy carbon Spar,, and full carbon fuse. The quality of the standard for $1400 is an unbelievable deal for the quality. My entire airframe including all the various parts comes in at 999g or 35.3 oz,, I'm expecting an AUW of around 51oz , wingloading around 6.2oz. The wings are remarkably strong ,,and the ballast tubes in the wings are a nice touch. The fuse is REALLY, REALLY thin!! A Neu P 29Gearbox will DEFINATELY not fit. Considering that this plane comes with wingbags and Installed LDS,,, it's light, strong,, has secret sauce Airfoil ,, don't think there's a plane out there that can even come remotely close for the money. It also has a 6servo wing option, it comes with outer aileron pinned to inner one,, but there's no LDS or servo pocket cutout for outer aileron. I'm planning on building mine as a 4servo wing. We'll see what Lenny does with this one.

Ps edit: I would think the standard version at AUW of 51oz with provisions to add quite a bit of ballast should cover most ANY flying condition from mild to wild. Oh,,,,,,,and don't Be afraid of the Vtails,,, they're HUGE with a very long tail moment ,,, so there should be PLENTY of rudder authority. And personally I LOVE Vtails when they're implemented properly. ;-)
The whole assembled airframe feels very very light subjectively speaking. ;-)
Last edited by Airman74; Apr 23, 2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added pics
Apr 23, 2018, 02:22 PM
Cool looking pushrods. Looks fairly easy to build as a 4 servo wing.

Also having ballast tubes in the wings makes e-fuse layout way easier.
Apr 23, 2018, 03:28 PM
I feel pretty confident that the standard and comp versions of this model will come in below 50oz AUW.

Seriously though.. this is one of he nicest models I have seen. I can't wait to get mine in the air!
Apr 24, 2018, 02:51 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Time to call SUSA and see what they have in stock.....
Apr 26, 2018, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
I used music wire for the V-tail horns and bent them to a 130 degree angle. A flat was ground into the wire for a better bond to the V-tail.
I'll be using some MP-Jet ball links for the linkage. The balls are glued to the music wire using JB-Weld.

The completed horns were then glued into the elevators using JB-Weld.
Apr 26, 2018, 12:14 PM
Thread OP

Lightweight Carbon Vixen 2 F5J

Another model arrived at my shop yesterday. This one is the lightweight carbon version Vixen 2 F5J.
I think the fit and finish is even better than the first one, and it looks great with the all carbon wing and fluorescent green trim!

They've taken some weight out of every part of the model.
Here are the weights:

Competition Vixen 2 F5J
Wings -- 696g
Fuse -- 122g
V-tails -- 76g
Wing joiner -- 69g
Tail joiner -- 4g
967g

This should build out to a very light model!
Apr 26, 2018, 12:28 PM
Nice looking plane!!
Apr 26, 2018, 01:28 PM
What's the gearbox on the motor in that last pic? Is it one of the new Neu gearboxes by any chance?
Apr 26, 2018, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
What's the gearbox on the motor in that last pic? Is it one of the new Neu gearboxes by any chance?
Looks like the secret sauce to me
Apr 26, 2018, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,

Yup! That is the NEW Neu motor/gearbox! We are testing it, Steve Neu has been testing it, and we have a couple of the top pilots in the country testing it. Everyone so far, has been VERY pleased with the results. Already, we can say that these new systems are the future of F5j competition power systems.

No sacrifices in strength vs the older systems

Same power output

Significant weight savings vs P29

MADE IN USA

In the near future, there will be a thread on this new system here on RCG with the info you are all waiting for. But for now, more testing before we give any info!

Best,

Alex
Apr 26, 2018, 04:40 PM
Thanks, Alex. I'll stay tuned for updates.

Best,
Andrew
Apr 26, 2018, 08:43 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
The motor can looks like it might be a little wide for that narrow Vixen Nose. Nose on my Vixen only 29x31mm
Is that the 1102 motor with that new gearbox??

Quick Reply