This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:01 PM
Montrose CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Skip the Zadig stuff....

1. Download Impluse RC Driver Fixer: https://impulserc.com/pages/downloads

2. Run Impulse RC Driver Fixer (close all other programs when you do this...it usually hides behind other open windows) It should say 'Searching for DFU Device' or something like that.

3. Hold in the BOOT button on the F405 Wing FC and connect the USB from the PC to the FC. Impulse RC Driver Fixer should say 'Device found, installing driver. Wait until it says the driver was installed.

4. Close Impulse RC Driver Fixer, unplug the USB, hold in the boot button, reconnect the USB, open Betaflight, it should now show DFU in the Comm port. Flash per instructions: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/com...ly-boards.html
Van:
Thanks for the reply. First time didn't work but I'll try again a few times. Does the button need to be held down all the time or just when the USB is plugged in? When to release the button seems to be the question. The Impulse program ran good, the board appeared to flash ok but it still doesn't connect after flashing. Thanks again.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 02:41 PM
Montrose CO
i just tried it on a different computer and used Betaflight. Same thing. After flashing and reconnecting the USB the red is on solid and the blue is flashing twice over and over. When I plug in the USB I get the duh-de sound and then 4 seconds later the de-duh sound, like it's connecting and then disconnecting. I looked at USB devises and there were 14 instances of the USB driver. I deleted all and reinstalled the Impulse driver and tried again. Same thing, no connection.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:02 PM
Montrose CO
This may be a case of not knowing what you don't know. I can open Mission planner and the board is working. So it only opens in Ardupilot, which is what i wanted anyway. Hmm........... but, on the other hand,
Last edited by not2fast; Aug 23, 2019 at 04:13 PM.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast
This may be a case of not knowing what you don't know. I can open Mission planner and the board is working. So it only opens in Ardupilot, which is what i wanted anyway. Hmm........... but, on the other hand,
Okay, I'm confused with what you're trying to do. Betaflight is ONLY used in DFU mode to do the iniitial flashing of Ardupilot. Betaflight WILL NOT connect to Ardupilot once flashed, for that you have to use Mission Planner.

If Mission Planner is not connecting you may have the wrong driver installed (common). You need an STM32 driver for Ardupilot. You can download a copy here: https://kiss.flyduino.net/download/s...vers-64bit-pc/
Aug 24, 2019, 06:23 PM
Montrose CO
The problem was that I was expecting it to start or connect in INAV or BETAFLIGHT and then I would load Ardupilot and then run Mission Planner. Now I know.

I've set up quite a few APM's with Ardupilot and have a question. When I was setting up the F111 it had data settings for SBUS and SERIAL and a way to test motors. I've never run SBUS on Ardupilot so does it know it's connected through SBUS without setting anything in CONFIG? I haven't had much luck spinning the motor in Ardupilot in the F405 (yet). I have ARMING_CHECK set to 0. That should turn off all arming in Ardupilot, right? So if that is 0 if it won't spin the props it's in radio setup? I'm using a Taranis so there are lots of things to set wrong. Years ago when I was buying APMs from 3DR there were templates for different airplanes that had all the settings worked out. You just loaded Custom Firmware and it worked. Is there anything like that for the F405? Ardupilot is so much better with descriptions than INAV but there are still hundreds of settings. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Vantasstic. Much appreciated.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:37 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast
The problem was that I was expecting it to start or connect in INAV or BETAFLIGHT and then I would load Ardupilot and then run Mission Planner. Now I know.

I've set up quite a few APM's with Ardupilot and have a question. When I was setting up the F111 it had data settings for SBUS and SERIAL and a way to test motors. I've never run SBUS on Ardupilot so does it know it's connected through SBUS without setting anything in CONFIG? I haven't had much luck spinning the motor in Ardupilot in the F405 (yet). I have ARMING_CHECK set to 0. That should turn off all arming in Ardupilot, right? So if that is 0 if it won't spin the props it's in radio setup? I'm using a Taranis so there are lots of things to set wrong. Years ago when I was buying APMs from 3DR there were templates for different airplanes that had all the settings worked out. You just loaded Custom Firmware and it worked. Is there anything like that for the F405? Ardupilot is so much better with descriptions than INAV but there are still hundreds of settings. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Vantasstic. Much appreciated.
Ardupilot accepts PPM or SBus inputs. you don't have to tell it which one. It's smart enough to figure that out on its own.

You can do a motor test in the Initial Setup, Optional Hardware, Motor Test. Of course, do it with props off. If you want to run them via Tx throttle then yeah, Arming checks to 0. You have to ARM the FC via either stick command (low throttle and full right yaw for several seconds) or by setting up a channel to arm by a switch. You can also disable the need to arm, i.e. it's always armed....might be Arming_Enabled or something like that. I'd go make and enable the need to arm and do arming checks after doing your motor checks. Of, by default the motors will spin (slowly) when armed. That can be disabled, decreased, or increased to your liking.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:44 AM
Please never turn off the arming checks. They are essential for your safety and correct functioning. For test purposes a "Force arm" can still be executed in the Mission Planner.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry_boatface
Has anyone installed this FC on volantex ranger g2 with arduplane? I am interested in pids and cruise speed settings.
I'm in the process of doing exactly that and wanted to maiden it this weekend, but have to postpone to next week due to last minute problems and lack of time.

If you come across any settings, I'd be curious too.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er

Shameless Plug

Hey guys,

Not to distract from this F405 Wing thread, but...Matek sent me a F765 Wing FC to test/review using Ardupilot firmware. I'm converting my FX-61 from Pixhawk to F765 control. No flight tests yet (healing from eye surgery), but hopefully soon). I've started a new thread on it for anyone interested. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%28ChiBiOS%29
Aug 25, 2019, 12:34 PM
Montrose CO
Anyone:
Any tips on getting the GPS to show up? I've tried 5 different GPS modules, some frome working planes, and never a sat on the screen of Ardupilot. GPS_AUTO_CONFIG and GPS_AUTO_SWITCH are both on 1. Next I am going to pull the board off the test plate and verify all the solder connections......so weird, like something just turned off.......

Van:
Motor test page is not active, all the boxes are grayed out. Right now i have all the radio outputs moving to the correct outputs of the 405 but that makes the channels show up in the wrong places in the radio calibration page. is that acceptable or do I rearrange the 405 output connections to work with the radio calibrations page channels? Seems like They can't all be correct. Right? More weirdness.

F405
Ardupilot Arduplane 3.9.9
Mission Planner 1.3.68

Anyone:
My F411 wing may be close to toast. It loads and erases ok but the flashing bar only goes to 1/4 bar and stops. It sat there all night.Third time in a row. I've tried INAV, Ardupilot and Beta. Isn't there a more intense recovery routine for these boards? Seems like I've seen one somewhere.
I'm hopeful the phrase "they can't be bricked" is true.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:01 PM
@not2fast: there‘s no ardupilot support for MatekF411-Wing, no need to try. double check you‘re trying with a matching firmware. mind that board has only half the flash space of a F405.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:14 PM
Montrose CO
I was aware of that but I was trying anything to get past the quarter bar of flashing. Is there a way to just reset everything other than re-flashing? (too simple) Re-loading drivers and re-flashing doesn't go deep enough. Something is sideways deep inside.
Thanks
Aug 25, 2019, 02:37 PM
system boot (DFU) is using the chip’s hardcoded bootloader that can‘t be altered by software handling. if you‘re 110% pos you’re booting in DFU mode and you‘ve ruled out driver / software issues, chances are your board is fried.
Aug 25, 2019, 04:41 PM
Montrose CO
i'd guess the board is dead but the bad thing is I don't know what I did to fry it. When it was working the 411 was moving all the controls but it didn't match the Radio Calibration page so I was trying to fix that. Now on the 405 everything works, I'm not concerned with the Radio Cal, but the GPS doesn't. The same GPS modules worked on the 411. I remember watching the lights change when it found 6 sats. I'm thinking these Matek boards are a bit too sensitive? I remember all the APMs I've run and never had these kinds of issues. I tried to flash INAV back into the 405 and that was not successful. Luckily, Ardupilot re-flashed and is working but still no GPS. An autopilot is just an expensive stabilizer without a GPS.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:15 PM
Montrose CO
I figured, what the heck, I'll just start poking around, and when I plugged the GPS into URT 3, it instantly got 14 satellites. Good Grief!!

Quick Reply