This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 21, 2018, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Matek F405-WING Flight Controller // iNav & ArduPlane

It's been some time that I got that exited about some new "hardware"... but it's time to retire the OmniBusF4Pro as my goto iNav Flight Controller... it's not a bad one with it's onboard current sensor and osd... but the lack of "easy" 6 PWM outputs and not enough UARTs to get crazy... (BT+GPS+Mag+AirSpeed+vTx) kind of sad... that's why it's time for this new bad boy!

The new Matek F405-WING Flight Controller promises to give us (I think) everything you could ask for in a Wing FC
(in short, lots of PWM outputs... and lots of UARTs... while still having the current sensor...)

FC Specifications
  • MCU: 168MHz STM32F405
  • IMU: MPU6000 accelerometer/gyro (SPI)
  • Baro: BMP280 (I2C)
  • OSD: INAV OSD w/ AT7456E chip
  • Blackbox: MicroSD card slot (SD/SDHC)
  • VCP, & 6x UARTs
  • 2x Motors, 7x Servos outputs
  • 2x I2C
  • 3x LEDs for FC STATUS (Blue, Red) and 3.3V indicator(Red)
  • Built in inverter for SBUS input (UART2-RX)
  • PPM/UART Shared: UART2-RX
  • SoftSerial on TX2 pad
  • Battery Voltage Sensor: 1:10 (Scale 1100)
  • WS2812 Led Strip : Yes
  • Beeper : Yes
  • RSSI: Yes

FC Firmware
  • INAV Flight
  • Target: MATEKF405SE

PDB
  • Input voltage range: 9~30V (3~6S LiPo) w/TVS protection
    2x ESC power pads
    Current Senor: 104A, 3.3V ADC, Scale 317
BEC 5V output
  • Designed for Flight controller, Receiver, OSD, Camera, Buzzer, 2812 LED_Strip, Buzzer, GPS module, AirSpeed
    Continuous current: 2 Amps, Max.3A
BEC 9V /12V output
  • Designed for Video Transmitter, Camera, Gimbal ect.
    Continuous current: 2 Amps, Max.3A
    12V option with Jumper pad
BEC Vx output
  • Designed for Servos
    Voltage adjustable, 5V Default, 6V or 7.2V via jumper
    Continuous current: 5 Amps, Max.6A
    Output Ripple: 50mV (VIn=24V, VOut=5V@5A load)
BEC 3.3V output
  • Designed for Baro / Compass module and Spektrum RX
    Linear Regulator
    Continuous current: 500mA
Physical
  • Mounting: 30.5 x 30.5mm, Φ4mm with Grommets Φ3mm
    Dimensions: 56 x 36 x 13 mm
    Weight: 25g

iNav Setup

Progress on ArduPlane:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
Daily builds are here.

Obviously you can navigate from there to get to Copter or to other F4-based flight controller builds.

I've also attached my latest param file, in case that is useful for anyone. And if you're not familiar with Mission Planner's recent (this year) param compare file, check it out. (See where cursor is pointing on right side of screen. First column of values is current settings in FC/MP. Second column is new params from file you just specified, and checkbox determines whether or not you want to change to new setting from file. Can't imagine FC evolution without this. Note I am on v67 of these params!

You can compare my param file to your current settings, and decide which, if any, of my params as they differ from yours that you want to merge into your current settings. Then save end result to a new file. Note that many of my params may have nothing to do with the F405-Wing, such as airspeed sensor, EKF choice, etc.

OSD enhancments for ChibiOS F4-based FC's with integrated OSD continue. @sh83 has a PR pending for artificial horizon, scrolling messages, screen switching and some other improvements. Search my param file for "OSD" and you'll get a sense for how to program your preferred OSD layout with params.

Kelly
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Sep 17, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2018, 03:56 AM
Thread OP
Videos

Hands on: Matek F405 Wing - flight controller for INAV and airplanes (8 min 28 sec)
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; May 04, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
Apr 23, 2018, 11:37 PM
This one looks like it checks all the boxes for me.
Apr 23, 2018, 11:51 PM
KI7CBF
Finally, we're getting an iNav FC that has all the I/O we want! I can't wait to get my hands on one (or more) of these.
Apr 24, 2018, 04:56 PM
FPV Lawnmower
under $40 please.... fingers crossed

just completed a build with the 405-AIO - it works but a bit crowded for servo wires

looking forward to more wing FCs
Apr 24, 2018, 10:35 PM
Fluxone, I seriously doubt it's going to be less than $40. I think anything under $50 will be a fair price, so that's what I'm hoping for. I'm afraid though it'll be introduced at something higher. The only price I can find is 66. But it'll surely come down, even if it debuts at $70.

In the meantime, the FCHUB-W + F405-STD combo comes close in capabilities, and that pair will cost you $44. I'm putting one together now, and it's been a big improvement over prior iNav builds.
Apr 24, 2018, 11:50 PM
MSRP of F405-WING is USD49.90.
More components AIO increase the defective product rate. That is the reason why F405-WING is expensive than FCHUB-W + F405-STD combo
Apr 25, 2018, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have any idea when we can actually purchase this FC? I just finished an iNav build with a Matek 405 CTR and it was ok, however, this new FC would make for a much easier/cleaner build. Plus it seems like it would mount into my small planes a bit better.
Apr 25, 2018, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero352
Does anyone have any idea when we can actually purchase this FC? I just finished an iNav build with a Matek 405 CTR and it was ok, however, this new FC would make for a much easier/cleaner build. Plus it seems like it would mount into my small planes a bit better.
End of April I was told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson
More components AIO increase the defective product rate. That is the reason why F405-WING is expensive than FCHUB-W + F405-STD combo
Not a bad price at all!

Hope it finds it's way to Europe sooner than later (or Banggood which kind of fixes the EU problem )

I am not 100% up to date when it comes to servoes these days... I wonder how many (9g) servos I can power with the build in 5V reg?
Apr 25, 2018, 11:15 PM
!= International Arms Dealer
Might be a good time to sell off that spare microVector you have on the shelf because it’s too much of a hassle to solder up

seriously though - it’s about time. I just had a couple of protective cases printed up which are designed to fit F3 & F4 Omnibus boards... anything to help clean up my installs. This solution is much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
I am not 100% up to date when it comes to servoes these days... I wonder how many (9g) servos I can power with the build in 5V reg?
Rule of thumb is to assume 1A per servo if digital or .5A if analog. should be good for 5 or 6 servos easily
Last edited by visioneer_one; Apr 25, 2018 at 11:21 PM.
Apr 26, 2018, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
End of April I was told

Generally, 3A BEC can power 4x 9g servos without any problems
many years ago, we always power 4x 9g servos with the on board 2A BEC of old ESC.

one 9g servo takes around 0.2~0.5A at smooth running. 1A burst at jam status.
Apr 26, 2018, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys! That gives me quite some confidence into running no additional BEC, love it!
Apr 27, 2018, 02:21 AM
Servos load current @6V (1 min 30 sec)
Apr 28, 2018, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for that video!
Apr 30, 2018, 12:06 AM
FPV Lawnmower
Quote:
Thats a good price by me - looking forward to this product... now maybe something a bit smaller for micro wings please ;-)

Quick Reply