Dec 23, 2019, 12:26 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
I did a testrun on the fan and the results were less than I hoped for.
Granted the 12 cell pack I used is really not good and one or two of the cells are atleast 0.5 V under charging to the others, the carger also only goes to 99% and no more, the scetchy cells maybe?

Static thrust was only 2,3 odd Kg but after only 5-10 second run the pack was down to 80% power so I hope with fresh good packs the thrust will be atleast 4,5 to 5 Kg....lets hope

I will still fly it at 4 kg static in te hope that the ram air will make it better.

Theuns
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2019, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. There must be something seriously wrong.
My 90 mm Jetfan produces more than 4,5 kg thrust at 10s and 109 A.
It sits in top of the fuselage of my delta trainer, but still.
Itís either your Lipo, not enough air, or the fan is a bad match for 12s and goes into such overload that it destroys efficiency completely.
Can you measure voltage and current?

Good luck,
Guido
Dec 24, 2019, 09:09 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I do believe the lipo is not nearly what it should be, I will check it with fresh ones next year.

Theuns
Dec 24, 2019, 09:15 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren
, the charger also only goes to 99% and no more
Theuns
I don't mean to sound like a know it all or to insult you... but does your charger's display have enough digits to read out 100% I've known others that did not realize this.

Merry Christmas!
Dec 24, 2019, 09:46 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Hi, yes it does, this lipo just is not well atall. I also made sure that the whole intake duckt has more than 100% FSA and is as smooth as I could get it.

That lipo I used went from 99% to 80% in about 5-10 seconds so it cant possibly be giving full power to the fan. My 90mm Cs 12 blader on 6 cells makes 2,5Kg.

I am not to worried that I should get atleast 4 kg static on good lipo. So in the meantime I have started to complete the airframe ready to tes in a week or two.

Theuns
Dec 31, 2019, 02:23 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Here is what I did to cool the ESC in the Mirage.
I installed tubing into the top ram air scoops and directed it to the esc heat sink, I am sure it will help in flight, I just need to not let it stand at high power on the ground as airflow in the fuselage will be limited.

Theuns
Dec 31, 2019, 08:37 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I made the lipo tray to accept either 2 by 6 cell or a single 12 cell lipo pack. I also let loose with my razor saw and made a removalbe canopy hatch for easier access to the packs and connectors. On the production kit this will be a standard fixture.

We are going to have custom made oleos fr the down and locked retracts for this model but these have to be designed and built so in the meantime I will use off the shelf units so I can test the plane hopefully early in Jan.

Theuns
Jan 02, 2020, 11:16 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
I have been working on installing the retracts and since I do not yet have the undercart struts I had to make up mock units to try get the mounding angles correct. The Mirage has rather odd main struts and this makes mounding the gear difficult as the wheel sits on the outside of the leg but retracts inwards.
We will have nice custom sets made but for now I will use off the shelf stuf to test and it looks like if I take straight units but just bend the axle it may work.

Theuns
Jan 03, 2020, 12:02 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
Basic paintwork done, need to do the insignea and stencling still. The IP was made from ABS plastic shees asweel as the HUD then added a little solder to look like cables and dyrushed it to highlight some areas and break up the monotone black look. I will have to make the bangseat still and waiting for the pilot to be printed.

Theuns
Jan 19, 2020, 05:50 PM
Classic jets rule
Looking good ,keep us posted.
Jan 20, 2020, 02:02 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Thanx. My retract supplier imformed me the down and locked units aswell as the oleostruts/brakes have arrived at customs here and we hope to get them out asap so I can complete the UC setup and get it flying . Not to ong to go now :-)

Theuns
Feb 13, 2020, 01:09 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren
Here is what I did to cool the ESC in the Mirage.
I installed tubing into the top ram air scoops and directed it to the esc heat sink, I am sure it will help in flight, I just need to not let it stand at high power on the ground as airflow in the fuselage will be limited.

Theuns
Mate, that won't do a thing to cool your speedo, cut out precise chunk of duck and place your unit with the sink exposed to the air flow!

Quick Reply