Apr 21, 2018, 10:19 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Discussion

Mirage 3 EZ project

Hi All.
Here is the plug I am working on to ,make molds for my 1/9 scale Dassault Mirage III EZ.
I made a model of this plane last year just to test the design concept and check all things like the wing profile, controll movements ect.

It is designed to take either a 6 kg thrust EDF , one will be powered by this setup that a friend of mine has or a 6 kg turbine.

The prototipe weighed in ar 7.2 kg all up and the .91 Viofan ICDF barely made 3,5kg of static thrust.
I did not intend to fly it as is , only wanted to do taxi run but at about 150 ' down the runway it got airborne and I decided to just go for it.
It just just made it into the air, I could not retract the gear so the drag was high yet after a few moments it actually flew OK.

I would say at the same speed as a pattern plane, great stability, stupendise roll rate though!

After a few minutes the engine "goughed" and I haulled her round hard to get back to the runway....I got behind the drag curve , she spun it ....splat!

Every one at the club was surprized that I was not gutted, but I learned what I wanted to know, the wing design is good and I now made tooling for a full composite hollow wing.

Theuns
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2018, 11:11 AM
I think you forgot to upload the photos. Sounds interesting.
Apr 21, 2018, 11:15 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Here is the prototipe

Theuns
Apr 21, 2018, 11:18 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
And now re-working for the new molds.
I have been marking and scribing the pannel detail for the new molds.

Sofar many, many hours of scribing....

I checked the look under a thin coat of rattle can primer and I must say I am pleased with the results, sofar about 70% of the detail is done.

With the new composite hollow wing I am aiming for a 5.5 to 6.5 kg all up weight.

The wing root seat is actually allot tighter than in the pix, I just put it on to see if my lines are working :-)

Theuns
Apr 21, 2018, 11:19 AM
Looks good.
Apr 22, 2018, 03:42 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren View Post
Hi All.
Here is the plug I am working on to ,make molds for my 1/9 scale Dassault Mirage III EZ.
I made a model of this plane last year just to test the design concept and check all things like the wing profile, controll movements ect.

It is designed to take either a 6 kg thrust EDF , one will be powered by this setup that a friend of mine has or a 6 kg turbine.

The prototipe weighed in ar 7.2 kg all up and the .91 Viofan ICDF barely made 3,5kg of static thrust.
I did not intend to fly it as is , only wanted to do taxi run but at about 150 ' down the runway it got airborne and I decided to just go for it.
It just just made it into the air, I could not retract the gear so the drag was high yet after a few moments it actually flew OK.

I would say at the same speed as a pattern plane, great stability, stupendise roll rate though!

After a few minutes the engine "goughed" and I haulled her round hard to get back to the runway....I got behind the drag curve , she spun it ....splat!

Every one at the club was surprized that I was not gutted, but I learned what I wanted to know, the wing design is good and I now made tooling for a full composite hollow wing.

Theuns
What was it made of? For such a small model (9th size) sounds pretty heavy at over 7 kg. That fan should give you easily 5.5 kilo thrust when properly tuned, what motor did you use? You will be laughing going electrics if you build it reasonably light..
Apr 22, 2018, 08:52 AM
Looking great Theuns!

It is unfortunate that the original crashed, but it sounds like the information gathered from it was very useful.
Apr 22, 2018, 11:20 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
The prototipe used a foam core balsa/glass sheeted wing with loads of primer to get it smooth. Same with the fuselage.
I have refined my moldings now and with the new wing should be able to shedd of a few pounds.

I also think the intake duckting for the engine was not near perfect enough, I have re-designed this to give a more laminar flow to the fan face.

I have been spending a few gours today marking and scribing the detail on the wings so I can make the final molds soon.

Theuns
Apr 27, 2018, 10:55 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
I had some time so I completed the detail scribing on the bottom of the wing. Also did a test and it will pollish up nicely.

Theuns
Apr 27, 2018, 11:18 AM
This is going to be very nice.
Apr 27, 2018, 11:43 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Thanx, the effort now I hope will pay off when production starts and they come out looking nice from of the molds :-)

Theuns
Apr 28, 2018, 06:49 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Pollishing on the fiselage is complete, I also tested te panel detail under a coat of satin paint and am quite happy with the results.

Theuns
Apr 29, 2018, 08:38 AM
Theuns
Thread OP
Top of wing plug polished. Hope to make the mold next weekend.
Theuns
Apr 29, 2018, 02:27 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Awesome work!
Apr 30, 2018, 10:19 AM
Classic jets rule
Nice mold work.

Quick Reply