Apr 20, 2018, 09:54 PM
Discussion

Wings, wing and more wings

I have looked at more flying wing plans than I can count. I have not found any I like. They are more delta shaped or just to small. I am looking for a nice full wing, not a delta, not a wing and pod stuck under, in front, or behind it, in the 48 to 60 inch span. I have found 1 or two I can print at a high ratio, the one that I like the most I need to print at 240% to hit 50 inches.

Am I just looking in all the wrong places? I would prefer a hot wire cut platform. Looking to fly FPV in a slow floaty easy flying wing. I have a couple flight controllers looking for a home and a wing sounded like a good idea. I have planes galore at home, and a couple FPV. As I have not had a wing in 25 years or so, thought I would get one going. Lot of the "race" wings. They look like fun but I am after a slow flying cruiser wing.

I found some really nice "old" plans on outerzone, sweet looking, but they would look better out of balsa. The last wing I had was the Little Plank, flew very well, I guess if I can not find something that fits my desires, I will build a Little Plank out of foam.

Thanks.

Buzz.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2018, 08:08 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
This is the slowest , floatiest wing I've ever seen .... maybe you could scale this up :

Slowly Indoor Glider (4 min 51 sec)

Plans : http://www.roberts-r2d2-bau.de/fmbindex.html
Apr 21, 2018, 08:26 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Sounds to me like you have unrealistic exceptions. A wing is a wing. many variations but still
a wing.

One sheet of foam board, one strip of filament tape. One 16g motor, two 5g servos, esc, rec.
a bit of glue and colored tape.

165g 1 m. Floats, flies fast, very maneuverable. Flight times near 20 minutes,

I can send you the patterns. I have built them from 500mm to 1750mm, the 1000mm flies best.

1000X165wing (1 min 21 sec)
Apr 21, 2018, 11:04 AM
I may just be snipe hunting. What I want may not be out there.

I have looked at so many and they just don't interest me. If I was looking for a FPV racing wing, I found tons of plans. But for a cruising type wing, not as many out there that are not delta wings.

Most seem to be small, around 1m or less, lots in the 800mm 900mm range. They are designed for speed. I just want to cruise around. You know old and slow, with the blinker on.

I think I can mess this one up enough to make what I have in mind. I guess old timer meets foam and packing tape. Bet he never thought his plane would be R/C, carry a camera, OSD, VTx, 6 axis stabilizer.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4608

Buzz.
Apr 21, 2018, 11:16 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Flying Foam MotherShip :
https://flyingfoam.com/product/mother-ship/

CrashTest Hobby Hercules XL :
http://www.crashtesthobby.com/hercules-xl-7076.html

Maybe you can get their plans ......

And there's the foam board FT Kraken :
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/kraken-build
Apr 21, 2018, 11:26 AM
Scratch building addict
Hey borc, that's alot like my "manta" I built yrs ago based on the zanonia seed, that thing went to the highest altitude on the tiniest amount of throttle, nature is smart, all those years of evolution.

For my money regarding wings there is nothing better than the F7U cutlass wing shape for one wing that does everything, though.
Apr 21, 2018, 11:31 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Hey borc, that's alot like my "manta" I built yrs ago based on the zanonia seed, that thing went to the highest altitude on the tiniest amount of throttle, nature is smart, all those years of evolution.

For my money regarding wings there is nothing better than the F7U cutlass wing shape for one wing that does everything, though.
Yes , nobody knows how to optimize better than nature . I've been fascinated by that seed/glider for years ....
Apr 21, 2018, 01:29 PM
treefinder
Just came in from flying this one, i would say its a cruiser and at 7ft span not tiny. Unfortunately it was a no-plans scratch build from 2 pieces of MPF. There is a build thread, though. If you like it I can make templates as pdfs for you.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-MPF-and-wood
Apr 21, 2018, 06:40 PM
Springer, I like that one. I have been drawing pictures and doodles of what I want. I need to go to Lowes, Home Depot and pick up a couple sheets of 1 1/2" foam. This is the shape I like. narrow, long wings. Some of the planes just don't do it for me. I like planes with nice lines, sort of like sexy curves, smooth and sleek.

I have the planes for the Kraken, Been looking at that one. I need to stop by dollar store and pick up some more sheets. I am down to 3 or 4.

Another one I was watching videos of was the Techone hobby FPV. It looks like it is a race ready screamer. The maiden flight video, the wing crashed, looked like he slowed it down to much in a turn. This is what I don't want. A speed demon. Nice wing, great setup, just not what I want. If I want to go fast, it is on the top pf my list.

Thanks for all of the good ideas and help.

Buzz.
Apr 21, 2018, 08:00 PM
treefinder
I made mine from two sheets of MPF. (as you might expect...) I cut a diagonal from one corner to about 5" from the opposite corner, then played with the sweep angle, eventually settling on the approximately 20deg sweep per side that you see. I think the specs are on the build thread along with an early video. I'm running a D2830-8 1300kv, 52gm 275 watt brushless, Prop: APC style 8x6 and 2200mah 3s lipo for 8-12 minute flights. It will hang for a long time if I cut the power, and I have gotten it snuggled up under a cloud and stayed there just bouncing in and out of the bottom of the cloud, til it drifted down wind. Good fun.

If you are gonna hot wire cut yours, the sweep and total thickness of mine should be about right.
Apr 21, 2018, 08:06 PM
Scratch building addict
For just easy flying and pure fun, I love my aussie Starfire EPP wing, I motorized mine like this guy, too lazy to take a picture of mine but it looks like Eddie Van Halen's guitar. I put an epp pod on undersurface, actually held on with strong magnets holds battery etc.

Just the easiest thing in the world to fly and a cool shape. Swept back and then sticks out. If you look at other vids of it you will see some insane sloping. Aussies have it easy, best slope sites in the world probably aside from S.Africa.

I'm not sure if the wing cores are still available, pretty big at around 42 inches. I liked the shape so much I made a smaller sloper one from styro wing cores with a slope airfoil, Extremely light, for 5mph wind days. Did I mention I have a ton of planes?

Mcclain wing cores I think it was, just look up starfire epp.

It would be easy to design a scratch build of this shape if you prefer that.

Starfire RC Flying Wing - Review / Demo park flying, low & close (9 min 21 sec)
Apr 22, 2018, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
Sounds to me like you have unrealistic exceptions. A wing is a wing. many variations but still
a wing.

One sheet of foam board, one strip of filament tape. One 16g motor, two 5g servos, esc, rec.
a bit of glue and colored tape.

165g 1 m. Floats, flies fast, very maneuverable. Flight times near 20 minutes,

I can send you the patterns. I have built them from 500mm to 1750mm, the 1000mm flies best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI31-oYqjBs
Ooooo I like
Apr 22, 2018, 03:04 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
Ooooo I like
It was originally built to see how much abuse a non spared 1m foam board wing could
endure. I have tried and several others have tried to destroy it. It may have over a
hundred flights now and not a sign of a wrinkle in the paper.
May 15, 2018, 10:20 PM
Hello Buzz.

I designed a 45" flying wing that might be of interest to you. When I took it to the flying field, someone told me it looked a lot like the FliteTest Blunt Nose Versa. I had never even heard of it at the time; but sure enough, my wing is very similar to the Blunt Nose Versa. However, there are a lot of differences too. Mainly the build technique. My wing uses wing ribs instead of a box spar to hold the airfoil shape. The planform is also a little different than the versa.

I usually fly this thing like a glider. Powered climb. Power off glide. repeat. It definitely fits your desire for "slow and floaty". I have had it in the air for 45 minutes or so on a 2200 mah 3s.

I had FPV gear in it, but I did not fly it FPV very much. I might be able to dig up some onboard footage, but I'm not sure where I saved it. I know I don't have any ground video.

Let me know what you think!
May 15, 2018, 11:01 PM
Big 3D
You mentioned sexy. Zagnutz! Old website in post #3.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...flying-wing%21

Quick Reply