Apr 20, 2018, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Smit Japan

Long time I have on shelf fiberglass hull for this tug with installed mechanical parts, today I started new rotation at work, so I starting work on superstructure for this tug too. Plan is, I will have in 2 weeks superstructure done in 5 pieces, just because transportation on board in aircraft on back flight home. Today I had some cutting day and little glueing ;-)
Tug is in scale 1:32, lenght 86 cm. Material will be fiberglass and some little of plast.
Last edited by DDG 51; May 07, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2018, 02:32 PM
What material are you using for the superstructure? Looks like G-10, but hard to tell.
Apr 20, 2018, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
Fiberglass
Apr 21, 2018, 08:19 AM
Nice work as ususal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG 51
Fiberglass
And where is that material available from?
Apr 21, 2018, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
I have local company wthat is selling some electrical insulation materials, they have fiberglass sheets in size 2x1 meter in different thickness. It is pretty much cheap but excellent material for ship building. Thickness is starting on 0,25 mm uto to seome 5 cm. This superstructure part is 0,75 mm
Today I finished front section of superstructure.
Apr 21, 2018, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain
And where is that material available from?
In the states, it is readily available online, although local shops may carry it as well. Not sure about Canada though.
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/G9-...hoCX5oQAvD_BwE

This looks like really good stuff to work with for structures, may have to give it a try.
Apr 21, 2018, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
For my models I am using this material years and never more anything else. I am cutting this by sheet metal scissors, using regular crazy glue, nothimg special.Surface needs little sanding before glueing and primer. Just for case,if on surface is some separator from manufacturing process...
Apr 21, 2018, 04:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
It really is great stuff to work with-I make my own. On a flat surface I lay down parchment paper then a coat of polyester resin upon which a layer of fiberglass cloth-more resin -more cloth(2-3 layers) then cover with parchment paper. Then squeegee out resin with a credit card...makes a surprisingly uniform sheet to work with...built my gato sub by that method.
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Apr 21, 2018, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlandry
In the states, it is readily available online, although local shops may carry it as well. Not sure about Canada though.
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/G9-...hoCX5oQAvD_BwE

This looks like really good stuff to work with for structures, may have to give it a try.
Ok, thanks for the link Mitch.
Apr 25, 2018, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
today is again model building day, superstructure is almost done. Doors, covers, winches... will be next
Apr 25, 2018, 11:23 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Beautiful workmanship ..looks like a lot of cut and try. I don't know if I could get that result. I would have had to photo copy the prints and glue them to the fiberglass with a water soluble glue (Elmers) then cut out and assemble...then remove glued prints after with water...
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Apr 25, 2018, 11:47 AM
Nice and fast work!
Apr 25, 2018, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Yes, it was pretty fast job, and yes, it was cutting and trying. But I like job as this. Mostly when I am at work ;-)
Apr 29, 2018, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
It really is great stuff to work with-I make my own. On a flat surface I lay down parchment paper then a coat of polyester resin upon which a layer of fiberglass cloth-more resin -more cloth(2-3 layers) then cover with parchment paper. Then squeegee out resin with a credit card...makes a surprisingly uniform sheet to work with...built my gato sub by that method.
Bob, what weight cloth do you use for your lamination ?

JimS

Quick Reply