Apr 19, 2018, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for advice on buying a rock crawler esc and motor

Thanks
Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2018, 12:44 AM
Not a lot of detail in your question but for a budget build I go with the HPI SC-3SWP3 crawler ESC and any $10 brushed motor (pick the motor turns according to application/taste).
Apr 22, 2018, 06:52 PM
Thread OP

Esc

Thank you
Kevin
Jul 09, 2018, 06:04 PM
razor burn can be good
mambax and 1900kv slate motor from castle creations
Jul 10, 2018, 09:34 AM
depends entirely on what vehicle you intend to put it into, and what your expectations are. From a simple $30 brushed combo to a $300 brushless combo, and anywhere in between.

In my daughter's Clone Hammers budget build, I have a stock 540 can and a 45a brushed ESC from Hobbyking. Total combo is just over $30. In my Bomber I've got a Castle Mamba X ESC and a sensored 540 brushless motor.

Do you want the versatility of low speed crawlability and some higher speed? Do you want massive torque? If yes to either of those, a sensored brushless combo is the way to go. Do you want the ultimate in low speed resolution? with good torque? A high end brushed combo is in order. Want it as cheap as possible? A low end brushed combo is the answer.

One thing that's very different about crawling than other types of RC usage is that you need good low speed startup. Brushed motors excel at this, but cheap brushed speed controls can still lack in low speed resolution that can effect how slowly and smoothly you can start the motor. With brushless, you have more variables at play. Not only do you need a good ESC just like with the brushed setup, but you also need a motor that's designed for smooth startup. In most cases, that means sensored, and even among sensored motors, there's variability from brand to brand and model to model. Holmes Hobbies probably has some of the best brushless motors with respect to startup & low speed resolution, but they don't come cheap. The Castle that I used in my Bomber may not be as smooth at the very bottom as the Holmes, but it's still very good when combined with the Mamba X speed controller.

Another aspect unique to crawling is the desire for a strong drag brake. This is something that will help hold the vehicle back on hills, instead of having it just roll away like a normal setup would do. This is critical for those slow ascents and descents, and is another area that you'll need to evaluate whatever setup you're considering.

Lots to absorb when choosing the best setup for your crawler.

Quick Reply