Write Congress Now! Protect Section 336! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Write Congress Now! Protect Section 336!

The AMA has created some quick links that will allow you to tell your govt. official that you support section 336 and our ability to fly RC aircraft.

Splash

Write Congress Now! Protect Section 336!

From the AMA

There is talk that the next reauthorization bill for the Federal Aviation Administration will eliminate the Special Rule for Model Aircraft – also known as Section 336 – which has allowed AMA to manage our members and fly safely and responsibly, as we have for over 80 years. Losing the Special Rule would be a devastating blow to our hobby.

These links make it simple for you to contact your legislators;

This is a critical moment to let your elected representatives know the importance of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and the role of community-based organizations such as AMA.

Our community has operated safely for decades – long before the recent advent of drones. Model aviation has played a critical role in the innovations of new technology and encouraging young people to pursue an interest in science and technology fields. More than that, this long-standing hobby has been passed down from generation to generation and is a tradition for many American families.

Write Congress to Protect Our Hobby (1 min 45 sec)

We need your help to demonstrate the value of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft not only for our community but everyone. Please make your voices heard by contacting your elected representatives today.

P.S. When you’ve finished sending the letter, you will also have an opportunity to call your representatives. We encourage you to take the time for this as well. Thank you.

Sincerely, AMA Government Relations

Apr 18, 2018, 02:37 PM
A man with too many toys
FAA seams to be ignoring 336. Not sure it is is still doing us any good. Maybe they need to replace with something better that separates the rules for drones from model airplanes. Having the same rules for both categories is clearly not working.

Apr 18, 2018, 04:37 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
FAA seams to be ignoring 336. Not sure it is is still doing us any good. Maybe they need to replace with something better that separates the rules for drones from model airplanes. Having the same rules for both categories is clearly not working.
You're right, but for now, this is all we have unfortunately and it's better than having it getting removed.
Apr 18, 2018, 04:42 PM
DFS#000178
Until the FAA's registration nonsense in DAAof17 is repealed, 336 is 100% pointless anyway. 336's entire purpose is to define "model aircraft" and to keep the FAA away from "model aircraft" as defined within 336. But the FAA went around it and put their registration crap in the Defense Authorization Act of 2017. Therefore bypassing 336 and rendering it completely useless.

All this attention is being directed at 336, and 336 is effectively useless as long as the FAA can do whatever they want by bypassing existing laws. We should be petitioning to have the FAA's registration portion of DAAof17 repealed, and then worry about cementing 336.
Apr 18, 2018, 04:58 PM
yank and bank!!
I have a slightly related question for those who registered...... is your information visible on the net where someone can just find a name to accuse?
Apr 18, 2018, 05:13 PM

Bringing Drones into our hobby was a mistake

When the AMA first started supporting Drones and bringing them into our hobby, I tried to tell everyone this was going to happen. Calling drones that fly with FPV a simple ''changing technology'' and not keeping with Line of Sight, was a HUGE mistake. AMA brought this upon our hobby when they supported bringing Drones into our quiet peaceful hobby. Now, we are under attack at every turn. Thanks, AMA.... NOT....
Apr 18, 2018, 05:19 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
I have a slightly related question for those who registered...... is your information visible on the net where someone can just find a name to accuse?
Nope!!! Unless your Commercial and filed a whole separate way, thus that data base is available by aircraft number.
Apr 18, 2018, 05:28 PM

This is a shame.

I think this is to make way for big companies like Amazon to make claims for the lower air space, just like the cable companies did with the air waves. Don`t be surprise if in a few years we either have to pay some one of these companies to fly our models in " Their Air Space" or jump through hoops and pay fees to be licensed in order to fly.

Its a shame the fun has gone out the hobby because of some air head, bought and paid for law makers. They are not in the hobby so they don`t care. And with the orange man in the white house I bet every thing is up for privatizing. Bet you supporters didn`t see this coming.
Apr 18, 2018, 05:30 PM
AMA LM CD
This all started with the Pirker case. Google Team Blacksheep.

Regardless, we have to deal with it. It is what it is.
Apr 18, 2018, 06:01 PM
Subbing for the lulz.
Apr 18, 2018, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAY8293A
When the AMA first started supporting Drones and bringing them into our hobby, I tried to tell everyone this was going to happen. Calling drones that fly with FPV a simple ''changing technology'' and not keeping with Line of Sight, was a HUGE mistake. AMA brought this upon our hobby when they supported bringing Drones into our quiet peaceful hobby. Now, we are under attack at every turn. Thanks, AMA.... NOT....
Good, so I'm not the only person thinking it.
Apr 18, 2018, 08:30 PM
AMA LM CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAY8293A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710
Good, so I'm not the only person thinking it.
It was not the AMA that first lumped them all together. It was the FAA that called all flying things drones.

Drones/quads, multirotors... it did not matter if they were AMA or not, they still were our problem, because they fly. The public failed to make any distinction at the time.

We can all sit an argue and watch 336 disappear, and watch them require everyone to acquire a part 107, or we can write and call our legislators.

If we allow this to happen without any interaction, we will have no one to blame but ourselves. Requiring everyone to get a part 107 will leave anyone 15 or younger unable to fly. This will kill off the hobby.
Apr 18, 2018, 08:40 PM
exopy - Modelers best Friend!
Why are drone a bad thing? I like both plane and drone. Why they are trying to restrict them or what ever i have no idea. What's the big deal?
Apr 18, 2018, 08:46 PM
Why 15 or younger?
Apr 18, 2018, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshots
Why are drone a bad thing? What's the big deal?
A few thoughts:
  1. Anything flying beyond line of sight is just asking for trouble
  2. Anything that can hover and hold a camera is asking for trouble
  3. Drones are easy enough that people without sense will buy and fly--again beyond LoS

Quick Reply