Apr 17, 2018, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Seagull PT17 Super Stearman "Red Baron"

Has anyone here built or flown a Seagull PT17 Super Stearman, the Red Baron team version? I have searched here and elsewhere on the web but there seems to be very little information on it.

Thanks!
Rudi
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2018, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Seems like I have the only one?

Here she is, no decals yet, I normally leave that till after the first flight.

The factory CG position is rather far forward, she flies well but needs a lot of up elevator and is very prone to nosing over because you run out of up elevator at low speed.

I am also planning on moving (bending) the landing gear a bit forward.

Rudi
Dec 06, 2018, 06:15 PM
ao2
ao2
I am also surprised because this kit has been well distributed in France.

The plane flies well and the content well done.
My engine stalled in a loop and I have to check / change the landing gear screws.

It is winter here with a reasonable temperature and I hope for a day with the sun to put it back in the air. ...

The photo is extra; maybe a video. ...
Dec 02, 2019, 08:33 PM

Just ordered one!

Time to revive this thread!
I just ordered one on their Black Friday sale. Under $400 shipped and should have it by Friday.
What are you using for power? I was thinking anywhere from a 20cc gas twin to maybe a 40cc twin. Does it seem to need the nose weight? Howís did the ďbuildĒ go?
Thanks
Frank.
Dec 03, 2019, 03:30 AM
Where did you order yours from? Gator RC?
Dec 03, 2019, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Where did you order yours from? Gator RC?
I ordered it through VQ Warbirds.
Last edited by xtraflyr; Dec 03, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Dec 05, 2019, 11:27 AM
Frank, I hope you will post pix once received?
Dec 05, 2019, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Frank, I hope you will post pix once received?
I sure will!!
Dec 10, 2019, 06:30 AM
Living in the south of France
I opened a thread on it but nothing I am off to my friends place ( it's not mine ) to finish it off
the Balance point and melting some lead, he ( we ) have installed an OS 120 2 stroke and Futaba 3001 servos,,
Dec 10, 2019, 07:20 AM
Hereís just a few pictures. I dry fitted some parts together and the fit and finish is beautiful. Iím thinking a 20cc twin has engine for it. The shock absorbing main and tail wheel was a welcome function. Also came with an extensive hardware package.
Dec 10, 2019, 11:07 AM
Living in the south of France
I see the Balance point is at 10cm from the leading edge, was difficult as holding the plane upside down it just leaned both ways with the OS 120 two stroke in it, so it didn't need any lead,

Being 'septic' the wing cord is 28cm 25% is then 7 cm which we marked on the lower side of the top wing and the upper side of the bottom wing

( Follow me ) a line was then drawn on the fuselage between these marks and traced on the fuselage, these came around 1.5cm behind the hole on the side, we needed 382 grams for it to balance, so am I entirely wrong ?,

Here is my lead weight to be bolted under the engine,,
Last edited by paulinfrance; Dec 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Pictur lead
Dec 10, 2019, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr
Hereís just a few pictures. I dry fitted some parts together and the fit and finish is beautiful. Iím thinking a 20cc twin has engine for it. The shock absorbing main and tail wheel was a welcome function. Also came with an extensive hardware package.
Nice pix, thx man. Are the wing bolt on or one piece each?
Dec 10, 2019, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Nice pix, thx man. Are the wing bolt on or one piece each?
The top wing the center section stays on the plane and the wing plugs into that and bolts hold it in.
The lower is a 2 piece also that plugs into the fuse and bolt on.

They give you some wooden brackets to attach to the lower and up wing panels,so you can take the upper and lower wing halves off and transport them in one piece. That way you also donít have to take off all the flying wires and N struts. If that makes sense at all.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:43 PM
Makes sense and sounds like they did a good job in that area.

If not too much trouble and when you have the chance, pix of the wings will be great.

Which make gas power plant are you using?
Dec 10, 2019, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Makes sense and sounds like they did a good job in that area.

If not too much trouble and when you have the chance, pix of the wings will be great.

Which make gas power plant are you using?
The pictures wonít be until tomorrow evening.
I was thinking of using a VVRC 20cc twin. Iím thinking the extra weight of the twin,will help with the CG.

Quick Reply