Potential battery issues? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 17, 2018, 03:18 AM
Discussion

Potential battery issues?

Ive got a bunch of lipo batteries for a Syma X8C which I charge with a B3 battery charger. According to the instruction manual, this charger is meant to give off an audible warning sound when charging is completed. Problem is it doesn't do that. And so many times, I have missed the colour changes within the built-in light which also indicates charging is completed. So easy to do when you're doing something else and you forget about the charging. Consequently, overcharging has occurred on many occasions, including just now. Though to be honest, I don't know how long the batteries have been overcharged for in any of those occasions.

I have read that overcharging is not good for lipo batteries. Though I don't know how much harm (if any) have been done to mine. I still seem to get a reasonable amount of flying time with them. I want to add a camera to my X8C again (I haven't taken quadcopter video footage in ages.) Would there be any increased risk in using my overcharged batteries for flying with a payload or am I being overcautious?

Would there be any way I can get the batteries back to optimal condition (if they have been compromised)? I heard that when 'breaking in' brand new batteries, it's good to use them for half of the recommended flying time of the quadcopter that they'll be loaded into. Would this same tactic be beneficial for overcharged batteries?

I know some of you will simply say buy brand new batteries. Though I use the ones with the T Deans plug which are getting scarcer and only seem to be available at places like Banggood and that would take months to get here. I would prefer to start flying + filming soon.

By the way, I guess I can do a simple test by mounting the camera to the quad and fly low to the ground for the whole flight and fly fairly conservatively (just to see how each battery fares in it's performance.)
Last edited by dragonblade; Apr 17, 2018 at 03:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2018, 07:50 PM
Any thoughts?
Apr 17, 2018, 11:52 PM
If you like this hobby, you should invest in a good computer-controlled charger. There's a wide selection, and they don't cost that much.
Apr 18, 2018, 06:53 AM
Thumper King
Really depends on the battery. You should have a multimeter on hand and test the lipos for voltage per cell and IR. Resistance should be no more than 20mohms. Some batteries can handle over discharging/charging and can stay like that for a couple days but some batteries puff up and blow after an hour.

And like seetee said get a good charger. Something like a cheap SkyRC imaxb6 is fine. Just make sure it's a SkyRC. Or a well known rebrand like turnigy.

If IR is still below 20ophms I'd go ahead and try to salavage them. Could just be that your charger is wicked slow.

Quick Reply