Oct 01, 2018, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack1
Why is this not list on the sailplane page?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0297p?C=AJ
I dont know but I got mine today. Have not opened box yet but says Horizon Hobby on box!! (Due to acquisition of Great Planes)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2018, 02:22 AM
Could someone tell me the length of the box the Tori ships in?

Since this isn’t in the UK I’m having thoughts of doing a international order on one.

Thanks!
Oct 02, 2018, 12:34 PM
Just got mine a few minutes ago. When I checked it yesterday at Tower the status was late Nov. SURPRISE!!
Last edited by svosprey; Oct 02, 2018 at 12:40 PM.
Oct 02, 2018, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by svosprey
just got mine a few minutes ago.
👍👍👍
Oct 02, 2018, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Could someone tell me the length of the box the Tori ships in?

Since this isnít in the UK Iím having thoughts of doing a international order on one.

Thanks!
10.5 inches wide by 42.5 inches long by 7.5 deep.
Oct 02, 2018, 02:01 PM

Tag on the box.

Just got mine a few minutes ago.

According to the label on the box there were 659 cartons in order #1 mine being #452.
Last edited by svosprey; Oct 02, 2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional info
Oct 02, 2018, 02:07 PM
Cool thanks!
Oct 06, 2018, 06:21 AM
Question: Does the wing HAVE to be glued? Since it has a joiner, each half has a wing bolt and dowel at the front, why glue it together?
Oct 06, 2018, 07:05 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
Question: Does the wing HAVE to be glued? Since it has a joiner, each half has a wing bolt and dowel at the front, why glue it together?
I'm sure that gluing will make the center joint stronger. The butt glued joining of the center ribs, along with the glue joints of the joiner and slots, will help spread the stresses. Not gluing the joint will concentrate the stresses on the wing joiner and the slots it fits into.
Having said that, I do strongly wish to keep the wing as a two piece structure. After I get the plane I'll have to look at the wing carefully to see if I can safely do so. I'm willing to forgo aggressive aerobatic maneuvers to keep the wing as a two piece affair. As of now I'm thinking about removing covering top and bottom near the center joint and adding carbon fiber over and under the center section than recovering. Is the wing joiner made of wood? If so, then replacing it with a stronger material may be something to investigate.
Oct 06, 2018, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
I'm sure that gluing will make the center joint stronger. The butt glued joining of the center ribs, along with the glue joints of the joiner and slots, will help spread the stresses. Not gluing the joint will concentrate the stresses on the wing joiner and the slots it fits into.
Having said that, I do strongly wish to keep the wing as a two piece structure. After I get the plane I'll have to look at the wing carefully to see if I can safely do so. I'm willing to forgo aggressive aerobatic maneuvers to keep the wing as a two piece affair. As of now I'm thinking about removing covering top and bottom near the center joint and adding carbon fiber over and under the center section than recovering. Is the wing joiner made of wood? If so, then replacing it with a stronger material may be something to investigate.
With the wing bolts at the back and dowels at the front, it would seem to me that's where most of the stresses would be and the joiner would be more for alignment. But then, I'm not an engineer, so I'm most likely talking out of my posterior.
Oct 06, 2018, 11:06 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
With the wing bolts at the back and dowels at the front, it would seem to me that's where most of the stresses would be and the joiner would be more for alignment. But then, I'm not an engineer, so I'm most likely talking out of my posterior.

Bolt on just one wing panel and see how secure it is. Then put the joiner in place and bolt on the two joined wing panels, and see the difference.
Oct 06, 2018, 11:12 AM
Maybe tape the two wings together with blenderm?
Oct 06, 2018, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Bolt on just one wing panel and see how secure it is. Then put the joiner in place and bolt on the two joined wing panels, and see the difference.
Well yeah, I wouldn't doubt that one wing panel alone wouldn't be very secure. But, the question is do they need to be permanently joined together. What's the difference other than maybe filling in a poorly fitted joiner socket with epoxy?
Oct 06, 2018, 02:49 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Well yeah, I wouldn't doubt that one wing panel alone wouldn't be very secure. But, the question is do they need to be permanently joined together. What's the difference other than maybe filling in a poorly fitted joiner socket with epoxy?
I'm sure the wing can be used as a two piece wing. I intend to do that. I'm also sure the center joint won't be as strong as it would be if permanently glued together as a one piece wing. As I mentioned I will examine the wing after I get mine, hoping to devise some means of adding strength to the non glued joint. As of now I'm thinking about removing covering top and bottom near the center joint and adding carbon fiber over and under the center section, then recovering. Is the wing joiner made of wood? If so, then replacing it with a stronger material may be something to investigate. For flight I will tape the two panels together using Scotch extreme packing tape. Very strong and no stretch. Probably just a strip on the bottom of the center joint from leading to trailing edge. Forces will attempt to bend the wing tips upwards and separate the panels at the bottom and compress them at the top.
https://www.officesupply.com/office-...yABEgI8LPD_BwE
Last edited by davecee; Oct 07, 2018 at 06:39 AM.
Oct 07, 2018, 01:23 AM
How is the center brace made ? Single piece , or built layers, aluminum and wood, all wood, or all aluminum ? ?

Ross

Quick Reply